You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Troy Parrott

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 251>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

In some ways it’s actually a pity that Parrott is at Spurs rather than Liverpool or United. 

His record at underage football is comparable (it’s actually better) to Mason Greenwood and Rhian Brewster but those guys are more likely to feature this year as neither team has a striker as good as Kane. 

That was a cracking goal he scored last night. 

As an aside, Gavin Bazunu looks like he might be struggling a little at the moment. Has let in 8 goals in the space of a week. 

I would say that Spurs is the best club for him. It’s arguable that Kane is better than Mane, Salah, or Firminho (I disagree), but Spurs have much fewer options up front than either of those teams. Also, Spurs have a much better record of actually playing their kids.

You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 11:08am
What height is Parrott? Would he be hitting 6 foot?
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 11:48am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

What height is Parrott? Would he be hitting 6 foot?

Think he is 5’11 
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 11:51am
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

In some ways it’s actually a pity that Parrott is at Spurs rather than Liverpool or United. 

His record at underage football is comparable (it’s actually better) to Mason Greenwood and Rhian Brewster but those guys are more likely to feature this year as neither team has a striker as good as Kane. 

As an aside, Gavin Bazunu looks like he might be struggling a little at the moment. Has let in 8 goals in the space of a week. 

I would say that Spurs is the best club for him. It’s arguable that Kane is better than Mane, Salah, or Firminho (I disagree), but Spurs have much fewer options up front than either of those teams. Also, Spurs have a much better record of actually playing their kids.

I think if Parrott was at United right now he’d have a better chance of playing immediately. 

In the long term I think Spurs might be the best club for him. Poch seems to be very sensible in how he introduces talented young players into the side. 
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 7:33pm
That first goal was world class with his weaker foot aswrl . 
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 3:39pm

Spurs record of playing their kids isn't better than United at all, let alone much better. 
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 12:51pm

LOL
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 1:26pm
Interesting points here, if poch had decided to play parrot in the last 2 games would parrot then be more likely for a role in the senior team?

If the answer is yes, are we saying that poch (and other club managers) are deciding who is ready for ireland by proxy?

If the answer is no, then micks comments are in conflict with how players are picked.

I appreciate that this a reductionist arguement but it doesn't really clarify how Mick is choosing the team. 

Is he choosing the players on form? Level they are playing, number of caps they have and therefore experience? Are they playing regularly? All of the above?

Doherty is an interesting use case for this too I think, by far our best performer at club level last year (I'd say was better than Coleman in the same position) but not deemed good enough to start for ireland.

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

LOL

3-4 of their starting xi are graduates of the youth system: winks, Walker-Peters, Kane have all started regularly this season.

At Liverpool? 1
Utd? 2-3

If you want to look at ancient history, then that might be a different story 

Edited by DeclanDaly - 19 Aug 2019 at 1:40pm
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Interesting points here, if poch had decided to play parrot in the last 2 games would parrot then be more likely for a role in the senior team?

If the answer is yes, are we saying that poch (and other club managers) are deciding who is ready for ireland by proxy?

If the answer is no, then micks comments are in conflict with how players are picked.

I appreciate that this a reductionist arguement but it doesn't really clarify how Mick is choosing the team. 

Is he choosing the players on form? Level they are playing, number of caps they have and therefore experience? Are they playing regularly? All of the above?

Doherty is an interesting use case for this too I think, by far our best performer at club level last year (I'd say was better than Coleman in the same position) but not deemed good enough to start for ireland.

Depends on how you look at this.

If Parrott plays in the EPL, then Mick can watch him and see how plays at senior level and then make a call on his inclusion.
The fact that Parrott hasn't played or been selected for Spurs squad says that Poch doesn't think that Parrott is ready for senior football yet and should continue his development by playing u23's.
So if he's not ready for Spurs then he's not ready for senior international football either and should play for the u21's. If he excels at u21 level, then Mick may end up calling him up in the next squad.

It would be very naive for Mick to calling him up and playing him against Switzerland.

Parrott is still a kid really. No doubt we will be seeing him play at senior level in the near future.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 1:57pm
The reason Doherty isn’t picked is because we don’t play wing-backs.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

well you could say that, there is also the fact now that coleman would need to be kidnapped before Doherty would even get a look in. even then i wouldnt be to sure. 
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 7:35pm

Then why is Stevens picked?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

Stevens is a left-back converted to a left wing-back. Doherty is a left-back converted into a right wing-back.

I think that is a large part of the thinking anyway.
PaddyDaCulchie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 8:28pm
Doherty is a right back who converted to left back, then a right-wing back. Also played in central  midfield for few games for irish u21s
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by PaddyDaCulchie PaddyDaCulchie wrote:

Doherty is a right back who converted to left back, then a right-wing back. Also played in central  midfield for few games for irish u21s
Did he not break through at Wolves at left-back? Either way, his career as taken off in his current position. There may be doubts about him defensively that aren’t there about Coleman.

In saying all that, both should be playing! It isn’t as if we have a huge selection of right-sided midfielders.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 9:34pm

Stevens is a left-back converted to a left wing-back. Doherty is a left-back converted into a right wing-back.

Why do you persist in this delusion that Doherty is a left back?? He's a right-footed right back who played at left-back for one season to accommodate (the then highly rated) Dominic Iorfa.
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Why do you persist in this delusion that Doherty is a left back?? He's a right-footed right back who played at left-back for one season to accommodate (the then highly rated) Dominic Iorfa.
He isn’t anymore, but that’s where he established himself at Wolves and wars fairly average whenever I saw him there. His career has taken off since he moved to the right and Wolves started using wing-backs. There’s no delusion at all!! 
(I felt the second exclamation mark counteracts your second question mark)

Edited by pre Madonna - 19 Aug 2019 at 11:38pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 251>
  Share Topic