You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Travelling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 2:30pm
Anyone any good shouts for pints in Waterford . Nice bar for pints tomorrow night with the aul chap after Greenway cycle
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

Anyone any good shouts for pints in Waterford . Nice bar for pints tomorrow night with the aul chap after Greenway cycle

I was in Downes bar Waterford last weekend . Mad place altogether but a great spot for pints
deiseblue View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deiseblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 8:53pm
Tom Meaghers , great pub but check the opening/closing times as they are a bit erratic.
McLoughlins across the road is good as well.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 11:06pm

I was in Downes bar Waterford last weekend . Mad place altogether but a great spot for pints

Originally posted by deiseblue deiseblue wrote:

Tom Meaghers , great pub but check the opening/closing times as they are a bit erratic.McLoughlins across the road is good as well.

Picked a good spot Butch, think it is the only pub in Ireland with a squash court (which I bet you didn't see) out the back. Can be good spot for live music too and a fairly mixed clientele, but all good, John puts up with no messing. 

DB, Tom Meaghers is different these days (serves women & all LOL) & has got something of a makeover, fantastic small pub, but now one that is actually welcoming and does keep regular hours, at least at weekends. When Mrs Meagher (& Tom before her) was alive, the opening/closing times were really only known to regulars, and it was difficult enough to become one of those if you were under 40. 

McLaughlins is now called Tully's, after being closed for a few years, it got a bit of a makeover as well, nice pub too, the new owners have put in a load of craft beers & usually have some kind of Trad music going on at weekends. They seem to be doing well there anyway, its busier than McLaughlins used to be. 

Also reopened, and respect if you were ever in it, because its one of very few pubs in Waterford I was never in, and I don't know too many who have been, is JK Walsh's on George's St after being closed for over a decade. Bought by a Kilkenny businessman (who also bought T&H's , sadly that's at a standstill for years now over some planning issue) who has reopened it as a Whiskey bar. Looking forward to seeing it, of the pubs I was never in, its probably the only one I wanted to visit, might fix that next weekend. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 11:33pm
@ Deise I was actually only in two bars in Waterford city . Tullys and Downes . Tullys was a decent spot. Decent crowd for a afternoon session . Bar man sound and on the ball with pints and sorted us for a place to grub later on . Later that night back to Treacys our hotel and it was as rough as a bears arse with some of us Dublin folk . Past midnight and the kids still in the bar , some of the aul wants even had the furry bedroom slippers on as they were only goin up to bed ! I read about the squash court and vinyl night was on in Downes .
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 11:42pm
Ya, Treacy's (or The Bridge as I would know it, DB would probably call it Breens) owes its existence to coach loads of Dubs coming down for the weekend, most of whom rarely leave the hotel. Wouldn't be many D4 types about, to say the least. Tis not somewhere frequented by any locals really. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic