You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Travelling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Travelling
    Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 11:05pm
Right folks .... Travelling through Europe at the moment and I've travelled a fair amount around the world staying in hostels . Sometimes I feel a bit old to be staying in hostels(33) & other times I'm grand . But it always depends on the company you meet .

Is there a too old age to stay in a hostel and also what are the worst nationality you have encountered ?

I've never met a worst bunch than the Israeli folk
Hickster74 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hickster74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 12:45am
It used never bother me staying in hostels but I need my own room these days. It not so much that I feel old but I definitely have less patience and just want somewhere to relax.

The last time I stayed in a hostel was Stockholm. There were two Germans in our room. They were only in their twenties and sat reading books on their beds each night and got up at 7.30 each morning - great craic...

I got back to the room about 4am on match night. I decided to make no noise, so stripped off outside the door, folded all my clothes ready to put beside my bed. I opened the door quietly and tip toed through the darkness. All was going well until the mountian of pint change started to fall out of the pocket of my folded jeans - viking real metal coins slamming and spinning onto the tiled floor. The tutt tutting and silent sighing of the Germans really wound me up...

The main nationalities I met on younger travels were (with the usual huge generalisations):

- South Africans: crazy mthfckers, they have seen it all and probably shot fellas for stealing apples. They've no problem dishing it out if someone goes too far. Thankfully the ones I encountered judged the line well.

- Aussies: a big mix. They often seem dumb but then surprise you with something intelligent or deep.

- Canadians: wild and up for whatever. Live for the moment.

- Swedes: they seem to have a strange set of rules they stick by for the normal day to day things and look down on anyone different from that. Forget these and go wild after midnight. Don't really get them.

- Germans: didn't come across many in hostels but any I did were sound enough. Strange sense of humour. Birds boring during the day and strangely kinky at night.

- English: Most were sound and good craic. I caught a few thieving things, like CDs and any nice clothes from the laundry if you went for a beer while the drier was on.

- Israelis: met more of them in other areas. If they're in a group, there's always a leader. He'll never be the one mouthing off or shaping. Stand up to him and the leader will step forward. Only deal in pure logic. Arrogant.

- French: again not many in the hostels. Those I came across were thinkers, looking to expand their mind during their travels. Standoffish at first but very friendly once you have intelligent conversation. Small doses.
"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 8:27am
At 34 I feel a private room in a hostel is the only way to go for me. That said if with a group of lads I know then booking out a dorm would be grand.

I would agree to a point with the opening two posts regarding Israeli's. Met a heap of them when traveling on the eastern side of Mexico in 2005. The were all just after completing their mandatory military service and backpacking around the Americas. The men were the most arrogant and abnoxious yolks I've ever met however the women were very friendly and great craic. Boozed with the women and even hooked up with one when we went for a a couple of days to isla mujeres.

Edited by colemanY2K - 03 Jan 2017 at 8:38am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
LHurlz View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LHurlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 8:37am
Israelis are notoriously the worst tourists.  They come across as very rude and arrogant, although if you knew Israelis you'd know it's not how they intend to come across.  Merely a cultural thing, they think we are weird for our lack of bluntness and arrogance, there is no "polite" culture over there.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 8:40am
Originally posted by Hickster74 Hickster74 wrote:

It used never bother me staying in hostels but I need my own room these days. It not so much that I feel old but I definitely have less patience and just want somewhere to relax.

The last time I stayed in a hostel was Stockholm. There were two Germans in our room. They were only in their twenties and sat reading books on their beds each night and got up at 7.30 each morning - great craic...

I got back to the room about 4am on match night. I decided to make no noise, so stripped off outside the door, folded all my clothes ready to put beside my bed. I opened the door quietly and tip toed through the darkness. All was going well until the mountian of pint change started to fall out of the pocket of my folded jeans - viking real metal coins slamming and spinning onto the tiled floor. The tutt tutting and silent sighing of the Germans really wound me up...

The main nationalities I met on younger travels were (with the usual huge generalisations):

- South Africans: crazy mthfckers, they have seen it all and probably shot fellas for stealing apples. They've no problem dishing it out if someone goes too far. Thankfully the ones I encountered judged the line well.

- Aussies: a big mix. They often seem dumb but then surprise you with something intelligent or deep.

- Canadians: wild and up for whatever. Live for the moment.

- Swedes: they seem to have a strange set of rules they stick by for the normal day to day things and look down on anyone different from that. Forget these and go wild after midnight. Don't really get them.

- Germans: didn't come across many in hostels but any I did were sound enough. Strange sense of humour. Birds boring during the day and strangely kinky at night.

- English: Most were sound and good craic. I caught a few thieving things, like CDs and any nice clothes from the laundry if you went for a beer while the drier was on.

- Israelis: met more of them in other areas. If they're in a group, there's always a leader. He'll never be the one mouthing off or shaping. Stand up to him and the leader will step forward. Only deal in pure logic. Arrogant.

- French: again not many in the hostels. Those I came across were thinkers, looking to expand their mind during their travels. Standoffish at first but very friendly once you have intelligent conversation. Small doses.

Agree with all summaries of nationalities

Will add Americans into the equation very similar to Canadians but dumb as f**k
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 9:13am
A few of my mates are just back from working in Intel in Israel.

They said Israelis are kunts full stop.

Every single one of them.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 9:15am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Aye, they wonder why bad things happen to them
LHurlz View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LHurlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 9:21am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Hahaha, well fair enough.  By my estimations they're alright, they just have absolutely no filter or polite culture
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 9:30am
For most of the last few summers i've worked in party hostels as a cheap and good craic holiday where you can meet loads of new people. The thing i'll never get into my head is people who complain like f**k and then leave a bad review because the hostel was noisy and they didnt get a great sleep. It literally says party hostel in the name!! The first one i worked in Poland there were occasionally people bringing their kids to it and expecting a quiet night's sleep Confused 

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 03 Jan 2017 at 9:31am
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 10:21am
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

For most of the last few summers i've worked in party hostels as a cheap and good craic holiday where you can meet loads of new people. The thing i'll never get into my head is people who complain like f**k and then leave a bad review because the hostel was noisy and they didnt get a great sleep. It literally says party hostel in the name!! The first one i worked in Poland there were occasionally people bringing their kids to it and expecting a quiet night's sleep Confused 
True.

Its like people moaning about Ryanair.

Its a fcuking no-frills airline, you get what you pay for.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 2:23pm
Have hostelled on 4 continents and I have never met any nationality with even an ounce of the arrogance of Israelis. 

It really doesn't take much contemplation to figure out why they've such a massive and unashamed superiority complex.

The S. Africans have a touch of it too and it's a hangover from their Apartheid era. By the same token though, they didn't believe they were god's chosen people.

http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 2:37pm
White Saffirs are complete coonts in general, they manage to have both a superiority complex and a chip on their soldier, they also speak like stoned Australians, which is never good.

Aussies are just ****s, nearly impossible to meet an Australian who isn't racist, annoying or trying too hard to be masculine while sounding incredibly camp. That includes the women.

I met a few great Israelis, to be fair though they had all refused to do the military service and f**ked off, in general they are arrogant f**ks, including their often very pretty females.

Edited by pre Madonna - 03 Jan 2017 at 2:42pm
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

Right folks .... Travelling through Europe at the moment and I've travelled a fair amount around the world staying in hostels . Sometimes I feel a bit old to be staying in hostels(33) & other times I'm grand . But it always depends on the company you meet .

Is there a too old age to stay in a hostel and also what are the worst nationality you have encountered ?

I've never met a worst bunch than the Israeli folk

I agree what was said above about re: nationalities but the swiss are the most boring. They just offer nothing.

At 33 you're grand to stay in hostels, you wont be this young again so make the most of it. You wont have the energy to travel that much when you are in your 40's.
Travelling is all about the people you meet and experiences, not the accommodation you stayed in.

You will know yourself when you just become tired of it and you wont stay in a hostel again.

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 03 Jan 2017 at 2:40pm

Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

White Saffirs are complete coonts in general, they manage to have both a superiority complex and a chip on their soldier, they also speak like stoned Australians, which is never good.

Aussies are just ****s, nearly impossible to meet an Australian who isn't racist, annoying or trying to hard to be masculine while sounding incredibly camp. That includes the women.

I met a few great Israelis, to be fair though they had all refused to do the military service and f**ked off, in general they are arrogant f**ks, including their often very pretty females.

LOL
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 2:43pm
Agree with South Africans mad bunch altogether used to work with a South African lad who got sacked for an extremely violent and unnecessary racist tirade to fellow in work of darker complexion.
d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 3:11pm
I hate hostels more than any of the above nationalities - who i dislike very much

Hostels are ghastly places and breeding ground for left wing extremists :)

LHurlz View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LHurlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

Have hostelled on 4 continents and I have never met any nationality with even an ounce of the arrogance of Israelis. 

It really doesn't take much contemplation to figure out why they've such a massive and unashamed superiority complex.

The S. Africans have a touch of it too and it's a hangover from their Apartheid era. By the same token though, they didn't believe they were god's chosen people.

Chosen does not mean superior.  If you said that to an Israeli they'd probably take offence at what you're implying.  Not to mention nearly half of them being secular anyway
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by LHurlz LHurlz wrote:

Israelis are notoriously the worst tourists.  They come across as very rude and arrogant, although if you knew Israelis you'd know it's not how they intend to come across.  Merely a cultural thing, they think we are weird for our lack of bluntness and arrogance, there is no "polite" culture over there.

There is certainly an element of that (i.e the blunt nature of their culture) but with the Israelis I encountered on my travels it goes beyond even that. For starters they almost always seemed to stick to their own groups - they were pretty poor at integrating to any degree with the other nationalities. They also regularly just came across as selfish pr*cks - for example if a hostel had an amenity like a pool table/table tennis table they would happily hog the yoke for the vast majority of the day, seemingly oblivious to the fact that others might want to use it as well. I would be confident enough that if you asked 100 backpackers which nationality they buzzed off the least on their travels 90+ would respond with 'Israelis'.

I think a big part of it has to be the fact nearly all of them are coming out of their two years of military service. They must be in a slightly strange head space to have such freedom after a stint like that - and then the pack mentality on top of that. I've been to Israel once before years ago and the people there were absolutely grand - it just seems to be when they travel in numbers like that that they p*ss off pretty much every other nationality universally. I would agree that the birds tend to be far sounder as well.

As for the rest:

Canadians: Great craic - big drinkers who are generally far more chilled out and fun then their southern neighbours.
Australians: Very much hit and miss. Most the ones you will find in S.A Asia are on their equilivent of a Ryanair holiday so you get all sorts. The further away from Australia you get (South America etc) the sounder they tend to be. Can be extremely funny b*stards.
Swiss: Totally agree with Zinedine - tend to offer nothing. The fact their country is famous for clock making says it all.
English: Bit like the Aussies, although more likely to be sound.
Germans/Austrians: Never really had any issues although as another poster said they tend to have a fairly odd sense of humour.
Swedes/Danes: Laid back and friendly - tend to be a bit less loud than the other nationalities.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic