FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrapattoni

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trapattoni
    Posted: 28 Jan 2008 at 4:04pm
ShockedJust came across this on wiki,surely has to be bullsh*t, scroll down till the end and youll see what im talkin about, It would be a major coup in my book if it came off...............

Giovanni Trapattoni (born March 17, 1939) is an Italian football coach and former player. He is a former coach of the Italian national team, currently in charge with Austrian club Red Bull Salzburg. The league title they won on 28 April 2007, places Trapattoni alongside Ernst Happel in winning domestic league titles of four different countries.

Contents

[hide]
//

[edit] Career

[edit] Player

This short section requires expansion.

Trapattoni was born in Cusano Milanino, in the province of Milan.

He had a successful career as a player with AC Milan in the 1960s and early 1970s. Playing primarily as a defender and defensive midfielder with the goal to pass the ball to more creative players such as Giovanni Lodetti and Gianni Rivera, he played also for the Italian team, mostly as centre back with notable marking skills. He did not play very many games for AC Milan because he was getting injured thoroughly. After taking a break from the Italian giants, he thought he could settle with a mid-table team for one last season instead of being at one club all his life. This is when he moved to Varese, after a successful season with them, He then retired from professional football and took a job as a manager two years later.

[edit] Coach

Trapattoni began coaching at A.C. Milan, first as youth coach, then as caretaker, and as first team coach in 1975. He then moved on to Juventus in 1976 and from there to Inter Milan in 1986, obtaining great successes at both sides. He returned to Juventus in 1991 before taking his first job outside Italy, as coach of FC Bayern Munich in 1994, and then from 1996 to 1998. He is well remembered by German fans for an emotional outburst in broken German during a press conference on 10 March 1998 ("Was erlaube Strunz?"..."Ich habe fertig!" − roughly What dares Strunz? … I'm through) where he criticized the team's attitude ("Diese Spieler waren schwach wie eine Flasche leer!" − roughly Those player were weak like an empty bottle)[3]. He also coached Cagliari (1995) and Fiorentina (1998 to 2000, leading it to secure a UEFA Champions League place).

In July 2000 Trapattoni took charge of the Italian national team after the resignation of Dino Zoff. He led the team to the 2002 FIFA World Cup. In that tournament, after winning its first match against Ecuador, Italy's form dropped and they lost to Croatia controversially and almost lost to Mexico, with Alessandro Del Piero scoring the equalizer. In the second round, Italy was expected to easily defeat South Korea, but was however defeated in one of the biggest upsets in the FIFA World Cup history.

Despite referee Byron Moreno being blamed by Italians as the main reason for Italy's exit,{fact} disallowing a goal and sending off Francesco Totti for shirt pulling in the penalty box, Trapattoni was also blamed for playing an over-defensive brand of football and not taking arguably who was Italy's most gifted player Roberto Baggio. {fact}

At 2004 European Championship Italy once again failed to shine, having performed with dreaded defensive tactics. They drew to both Denmark and Sweden leading to an early exit. On 25 June 2004, Marcello Lippi was named as Trapattoni's successor, and took over once Trapattoni's contract ran out on 15 July 2004.

On 5 July, Trapattoni was named as new coach of Lisbon club SL Benfica, whom he led to win the Portuguese league for the first time in eleven years, and also to the cup final (which Benfica lost to Vitória F.C.). He resigned after the 2005 season, saying he wanted to be closer to his family (in the north of Italy) and returned to Germany with VfB Stuttgart, with much hype about his appointment. However, during his 20 games at the helm, Stuttgart showed poor form with 12 draws, many of these as 0-0 results. Denmark international forwards Jon Dahl Tomasson and Jesper Grønkjær openly criticized their coach, claiming he was afraid to attack. Trapattoni responded by putting both on the bench, but was fired himself the very next day on 9 February 2006, based on "not fulfilling the ambitions of the club". He was replaced by Armin Veh.

Over the past 25 years, Trapattoni has won nine league titles, a European Cup, a Cup Winners' Cup, three UEFA Cups, the Super Cup and two Italian Cups.

In May 2006, FC Red Bull Salzburg announced it had signed Trapattoni as its new Director of Football, along with one of his former players, Lothar Matthäus, as coach. Trapattoni initially cast doubt on this report almost immediately afterward, claiming he had not signed any contract. But three days later, both he and Matthäus signed and made their hirings official. After their successful season of 2006/07, the club's board of directors unanimously decided to dismiss Matthäus, making Thorsten Fink Trappatoni's new assistant.

29th January 2008, Trapatoni is now expected to be appointed as Republic of Ireland manager within the next couple of days

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Sponsored Links

tirchonaill View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2008 at 4:11pm
bit of a stich up i would think, i see he is born on paddys day too
fatherjoxer View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2008 at 4:14pm
cant see it myself. I noticed this on betfair this afternoon when he first appeared on the radar. He was backed at 25-1 however price drifted to 200-1 at time of writing this availible at 75-1.

Very negative tactition.

Surely to old at 68 

Edited by fatherjoxer - 28 Jan 2008 at 4:15pm
ernesto guevara View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2008 at 4:15pm
I would think its a complete joke, is it true anybody can mess around with these wiki pages????
If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2008 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by tirchonaill tirchonaill wrote:

bit of a stich up i would think, i see he is born on paddys day too

Checked out his birthday and he was born on Paddys day...so that part is true.....Christ im really beginning to clutch at straws now!!!!!
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2008 at 4:40pm
The bookies are now messin with the wikipedia to get us betting on the next manager..or so the conspiracies theorists would have us believe...a friend of mine swears blind that he saw a UFO above Abbotstown last week...and that Paul McGrath was abducted by Football loving Aliens....

Ernesto did you ever hear anything more from your source in the FAI about Deschamps?
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2008 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

The bookies are now messin with the wikipedia to get us betting on the next manager..or so the conspiracies theorists would have us believe...a friend of mine swears blind that he saw a UFO above Abbotstown last week...and that Paul McGrath was abducted by Football loving Aliens....

Ernesto did you ever hear anything more from your source in the FAI about Deschamps?

Alright Bob, he's still adament that it will come off,I personally think at this stage that he could well be on that ufo over abbotstown that your on about.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2008 at 4:52pm
I wont throw away my bookies docket just yet so. 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2008 at 2:44am
i have a mate who is convinced its houllier and he has been told by someone in thze FAI , i have refused to back any more candidates even if the candidate tells me himself !!
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
billybob View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2008 at 2:55am
El Tell drove past me in Howth yesterday...hmmmmmm
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel
Justice Shark View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2008 at 3:37am
Originally posted by billybob billybob wrote:

El Tell drove past me in Howth yesterday...hmmmmmm
Did he try and sell you his motor Billybob ?
billybob View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2008 at 4:04am
He was driving a 07 merc Justice and i only buy new...so he can fook off with his used cars. He was driving towards o'learys apt so lets hope two of them were planning a tag-team suicide..haha.
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel
Percy View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2008 at 7:05am
just seen didier deschamps eatin a breakfast roll outside the centra in killinarden.... prob on his way to robbie keanes gaff
MERRY CHRISTMAS

@IrishPercy
JimmyRabbitte View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2008 at 10:07am
Trapattoni has been cut to 5-1, with Venables drifting to 6-4?
Donal Cullen View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2008 at 10:43am
Me thinks a few of the lads have been f**king with Wikipedia. Have you ever seen the Wikipedia for superbitch Ann Coulter? Apparently they had to stop any more information pieces. (In case you are wondering Ann Coulter is a good looking version of Mary Harney but a right, right-wing bitch). Sorry, about the politics, lads. Back to footballEmbarrassed
There are friendlier places to drink.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2008 at 10:46am
can't stand ann coulter donal but she doesnt deserve the oxygen of publicity , lets agree to never mention her again
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Donal Cullen View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2008 at 10:49am
Who?Big%20smile
There are friendlier places to drink.
Catman View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2008 at 4:44am
Fools and their money...whoever said its gonna be Deschamps owes a lot of people here a lot of pints.

I saw Trappatoni and Hitzfelt spit roasting a young one at the Wes last week. must be them so

The sequence now is, should he miss this, and Ireland's next penalty is scored, then the match and the progress are Ireland's....Timofte against Bonner..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic