You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trap Retires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trap Retires
    Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 12:43pm
A few hacks have reported that Trap, at the ripe old age of 77, has finally hanging up his tracksuit over the weekend. Despite the Euro's being a disaster I think his overall tenure with us will be looked on in a pretty decent light.

We were in the doldrums when he took over and he brought us to within a whisker of qualifying for the WC at the 1st time of asking. The football was sh*te but we we're competitive again and hard to break down at least. The highlight of his reign was definitely the Euro 2012 play offs. After this the wheels came of the wagon and everthing thing went tits up he had to go.

He always came across as a decent and respectable man and his club management record will be his legacy. But he'll always be welcome back at landowne road...Good luck in retirement

Edited by zizu Kilbane - 18 Jan 2017 at 12:44pm
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Sponsored Links

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 12:47pm
Trap
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

A few hacks have reported that Trap, at the ripe old age of 77, has finally hanging up his tracksuit over the weekend. Despite the Euro's being a disaster I think his overall tenure with us will be looked on in a pretty decent light.

We were in the doldrums when he took over and he brought us to within a whisker of qualifying for the WC at the 1st time of asking. The football was sh*te but we we're competitive again and hard to break down at least. The highlight of his reign was definitely the Euro 2012 play offs. After this the wheels came of the wagon and everthing thing went tits up he had to go.

He always came across as a decent and respectable man and his club management record will be his legacy. But he'll always be welcome back at landowne road...Good luck in retirement

A fair assessment. And sure at least we all had the craic in Poland regardless. To Trap Beer

http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

A fair assessment. And sure at least we all had the craic in Poland regardless. To Trap Beer

always carried himself well and will always be remembered fondly for bringing back the good times after a long absence
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 1:13pm
Clap

Best of luck to Trap shall miss his Roy Keane stories
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 1:25pm
I regret that his tenure was marred slightly be the debacle in the run up to World Cup 2014. There was very little to endorse about that run, which I suspect was our worst attempt at qualification for any tournament since World Cup 86.

In terms of the four years that came before, Trapp deserves significant credit for that. We were unlucky not to go to South Africa, and he did what he needed to do in order to get us to Euro 2012. He also laid the groundwork with players like Walters, Brady, McClean, Coleman, Clark, Whelan, McCarthy which has been of significant importance.

Im not a belt and braces fan of his decision to leave certain players to one side, or to underuse players. However, that didn't stop him succeeding for 4 years.

If its true, he deserves a great retirement.
LHurlz View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LHurlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 1:26pm
f**k Trap.  Made me hate Irish football for a period of time.  Fair play we nearly qualified for WC 2010, but his refusal to attend games, boring one-dimensional tactics, refusal to move away from the old guard make him one of my most hated Ireland managers ever.   Taking Kelly to Euro 2012 over Coleman was an absolute farce.

Edited by LHurlz - 18 Jan 2017 at 1:27pm
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 1:30pm
The football was sh*te as you say but he was instrumental in making us a competitive force again after inheriting the shambles he did. My only real issue with him was the dim view he seemed to take of Irish footballers in general - he made us difficult to beat again but appeared to inspire very little in terms of self-belief within the side. Just keep everything as simple as possible in an effort to reduce the probability of mistakes. He was the right manager for the right time but probably should have moved on after Euro 2012 when he had clearly taken us as far as we could go with such a formula.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Clap

LOL
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 1:43pm
Credit where it's due, he inherited an absolute shambles and made us competitive and hard to beat again, and brought us back to the big stage after 10 years away from it. The merits and failings of his tenure have been done to death on here but hope he enjoys his retirement Thumbs Up
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 1:47pm
Always reminded me of a visiting priest.

This is my favourite interview with him, if anyone is interested. Helps to understand his mindset: “Gaelic games are amazing because they are a perfect reflection of the Irish athletic soul, they’re games for the tough and the Irish are tough, they never give up. Even if I have the problem that I often have to play guys who spend a lot of time on the bench at their club, I have learned to trust these guys, to have trust in their immense pride. Add to pride, the fact many of them are excellent players and then add on good organisation and the Irish mentality and you can go a long way, indeed we have gone a long way in the last four years.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/irish-soul-brother-taps-in-to-gaelic-psyche-1.515072

You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 1:47pm
One of the most decorated managers in the history of the game.

6 years travelling around Europe following the team with only 1 away defeat in 3 qualifying campaigns.

Euro's were a disaster which we all know and it's been discussed to death.

Enjoy your retirement .

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Clap

LOL
I thought he had retired months ago, don't remember seeing a single story from him since the euros. LOL
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 1:52pm

Clap

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 2:01pm
Three qualifying campaigns:

World Cup 2010: a vast improvement on the previous one, and a newfound discipline and professionalism in the camp (even if it wasn't popular with some squad members). Great results, like the draws against Italy, and a sterling performance against the French. It was such an improvement from what preceded it that the quality of the football is largely forgiven.

Grade A-.

Euro 2012: a slight disimprovement, in qualifying at least. While the second half against Russia was spirited, the first half was poor. The draw at home to Slovakia was awful. The win against Armenia at home was painful to watch, and we needed a win to be seeded in the playoffs. There were some good results, specifically Armenia away and Slovakia away, along with both Macedonia games, but there didn't seem to be any real tactical progress. Moscow, in particular, was a freak result. The Estonia win was brilliant and while revisionists might point to the red cards and the penalty, it was, in the circumstances, a brilliant performance and result. But, for the lack of progress, I'd say the entire campaign gets a B. The Croatia game meant the tournament was over before it started and while there was no shame in losing to a Spain team at the very peak of their powers, the meek surrender against Croatia killed all hope. I'd say the Euro finals only deserve a D. It was barely passable and without improvement, Trap was on borrowed time after that tournament. Still, you can't give a tournament that we qualified for a failing grade, even if it was only just passable.

Grade: C-.

World Cup 2014: In one word, appalling. The solidity of the past two campaigns (Russia at home aside) was gone. Conceding so late against Austria, in the manner we did, was close to unforgivable and losing after leading at home to Sweden wouldn't have happened in either of the previous two campaigns. Starting with close to failure to beat Kazakhstan was indicative of how the campaign would go: and it only got worse. There was practically nothing to redeem that qualification campaign, a solid 0-0 in Stockholm aside. Other than that, just about every performance and result was either the minimum to be expected or worse.

Grade: E.

His entire tenure probably deserves a passing grade. He did bring us back to a tournament for the first time in a decade and the feeling heading off to the Euros was brilliant. There were a lot of high points but unfortunately the further into his reign he went, the further apart they came.

Still, for restoring professionalism and solidity, for qualifying for 2012, for bringing us up from what he inherited, he deserves some credit. He was definitely an improvement on Staunton. Obviously most managers are judged on their last result but I think it would be pretty unfair on Trap to judge him on the 2014 campaign alone. On balance, I think he did a solid if not always spectacular job.

Grade: C+

May he have a long and happy retirement.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I regret that his tenure was marred slightly be the debacle in the run up to World Cup 2014. There was very little to endorse about that run, which I suspect was our worst attempt at qualification for any tournament since World Cup 86.

In terms of the four years that came before, Trapp deserves significant credit for that. We were unlucky not to go to South Africa, and he did what he needed to do in order to get us to Euro 2012. He also laid the groundwork with players like Walters, Brady, McClean, Coleman, Clark, Whelan, McCarthy which has been of significant importance.

Im not a belt and braces fan of his decision to leave certain players to one side, or to underuse players. However, that didn't stop him succeeding for 4 years.

If its true, he deserves a great retirement.
I would have thought that was the Euro 2008 shambles with the 5-2 loss to Cyprus and just about beating San Marino being particular lowlights. Cry

But yeah, the 2014 WC campaign comes a close 2nd with the 6-1 drubbing by Germany really setting off the alarm bells.

Overall, he did the job he was brought in to do ie bring some order and organisation to the squad after Stan's shambolic reign and make us competitive again and give us at least a chance of qualifying for tournaments again. The main problems I had with him were his stubborn 'my way or the highway' mentality, not attending club matches to watch current and prospective players and his reluctance to use flair players like Wes Hoolahan, especially in situations that were crying out for players like him to either open opposition defences or just settle things down by keeping the ball.

At the end of the day though, he hasn't done too badly in his career, has he? Enjoy your retirement Trap. Clap
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

I would have thought that was the Euro 2008 shambles with the 5-2 loss to Cyprus and just about beating San Marino being particular lowlights. Cry

But yeah, the 2014 WC campaign comes a close 2nd with the 6-1 drubbing by Germany really setting off the alarm bells.

Overall, he did the job he was brought in to do ie bring some order and organisation to the squad after Stan's shambolic reign and make us competitive again and give us at least a chance of qualifying for tournaments again. The main problems I had with him were his stubborn 'my way or the highway' mentality, not attending club matches to watch current and prospective players and his reluctance to use flair players like Wes Hoolahan, especially in situations that were crying out for players like him to either open opposition defences or just settle things down by keeping the ball.

At the end of the day though, he hasn't done too badly in his career, has he? Enjoy your retirement Trap. Clap

There were a couple of upsides in 2006/2007 namely the draws with Germany and to a lesser extent the Czech Republic. We had nothing like that in 2012-2013. We were lucky to get out of Astana with anything, clobbered by Germany, tossed away a later, and crucial lead to Austria, before effectively calling a halt to proceedings in September 2013 by losing to Sweden and Austria, without much spirit or fight. The 5-2 in Cyprus was worse than any result we have suffered in the past, but I still fell that the WC 2014 campaign was hopeless from beginning to end, with no true light at the end of the tunnel. It was a seriously depressing time for Irish football. Staunton's era was what it was, but much more could and should have been expected of Trapp. Rather than really trying to deliver a degree of ingenuity he became more stubborn about outliers and tactics. The potential to recover from the 2008 Campaign always gave me hope. I really felt that International Football was going to be on a downward spiral post Trapp.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

There were a couple of upsides in 2006/2007 namely the draws with Germany and to a lesser extent the Czech Republic. We had nothing like that in 2012-2013. We were lucky to get out of Astana with anything, clobbered by Germany, tossed away a later, and crucial lead to Austria, before effectively calling a halt to proceedings in September 2013 by losing to Sweden and Austria, without much spirit or fight. The 5-2 in Cyprus was worse than any result we have suffered in the past, but I still fell that the WC 2014 campaign was hopeless from beginning to end, with no true light at the end of the tunnel. It was a seriously depressing time for Irish football. Staunton's era was what it was, but much more could and should have been expected of Trapp. Rather than really trying to deliver a degree of ingenuity he became more stubborn about outliers and tactics. The potential to recover from the 2008 Campaign always gave me hope. I really felt that International Football was going to be on a downward spiral post Trapp.
Yeah, I can see where you're coming from now. The Euro 2008 disaster was merely Stan being found to be hopelessly out of his depth with his lack of experience while Bobby Robson being in poor health and unable to guide him didn't help his cause.

Trap, with his vast management experience, had no such excuses. Like yourself, I was more optimistic when I heard about Trap's appointment. I thought 'at last, someone who knows what he's doing'.  And it worked. For a while anyway...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic