You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Train Services in France

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Train Services in France
    Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 10:49am
Should probably just called this the "Questions for SuperDave" thread !

Anyways, I haven't had much experience of travelling in France on trains. I know the network is extensive and trains regular but anybody know how it is cost wise ? Is it like DB in Germany where you can take slower trains which will be cheaper etc?

Sponsored Links

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 12:13pm
Edit :Wrong thread ...

Edited by Denis Irwin - 18 Nov 2015 at 12:14pm
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 1:26pm
Inter rail passes - France 8 days travel over a 30 day period €313 for Adults and €232 for U26's. Surcharges for express trains.
Check out Seat61 website, best info.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Inter rail passes - France 8 days travel over a 30 day period €313 for Adults and €232 for U26's. Surcharges for express trains.

Would think that individual tickets would have to be cheaper than that depending on where you would be travelling to etc. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Would think that individual tickets would have to be cheaper than that depending on where you would be travelling to etc. 
Maybe, but I hope to attend games other than ours which entails extra days travel. Regional trains could suffice if travelling between Lyon/St Etienne/Bordeaux etc...
On thing about the French trains is that most TGV require compulsory reservations which could be up to a tenner and they have a limit of seats for pass holders.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 3:21pm
Individual tickets may work out a lot cheaper. An interrail pass is unlikely to be the best bet.

Say we end up with an itinerary like Lens, Paris, Lille: then local trains will easily be the best bet and cheap as chips.

If we end up with something like Lille, Bordeaux, Lyon, individual tickets booked in advance could be under €150, but could be more. An interrail pass doesn't include reservations for TGVs which are either €10 or €15 a time, and limited quota as well (i.e. if you have a pass, even if there are seats on the train, you might not be able to reserve a seat, if the interrail quota has all been reserved, or if the train is nearly full). The interrail pass is likely to come to over €400 total..... the most expensive TGV tickets are rarely over €100 a pop, and should be less if you are organised and book specific trains in advance.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 8:11am
SD I'm not impressed with SNCF upping their fares for french fans travelling to their matches. Have you heard anything from the grapevine as to whether the train fares that'll be released next month are going to be like? in some instances fares for trains heading to french matches are nearly double what they normally are!

Edited by colemanY2K - 19 Nov 2015 at 8:12am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 8:26am
Its obvious that SNCF as sponsors have had an input in the crazy venue layout. Absolute madness that cities haven't been paired.
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 11:07am
Aw well as SNCF's lobbying, I get the impression the way its designed is to encourage 2/3 day trips to match venues to increase visitor numbers instead of the traditional longer trips where the same people go to all their teams games. People on a 2/3 trip are likely to spend more than those working off a limited tournament budget.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 4:14pm
Trains to venues on the day of matches will be expensive. I imagine the tickets released next month will be similar to the ones already released: they will only be a limited number of trains, to venues hosting matches, on the day of matches. The 10th March, when regular trains start going on sale, is likely to be a better bet. For example, if we are playing, say, in C2, on the 12th in Lille, 16th in Lyon and 21st in Marseille, travelling Lille to Lyon on the 14th or 15th on a regular train (not a euro 2016 matchday special), and Lyon to Marseille on the 19th (again, not on a matchday special) should be a better bet. Regular French people still need to travel and SNCF won't want to piss them off either.

I'm not saying it definitely will be, but I'd be more confident doing that and waiting til March than booking in December on the matchday specials (I doubt there will be more than those going on sale next month, anyway, although I could be wrong). Also, in respect of those on sale already, there *were* very cheap tickets when they first went on sale, in line with the normal entry prices, afaik, but they were quickly snapped up.

Just a word of warning: SNCF have been known to try crafty stuff in the past, like charging foreigners more simply for buying from abroad. If you speak French, use the French language site, or otherwise try captaintrain.com. Both of those should have the lowest prices. The UK one charges a currency conversion mark up in sterling, so definitely don't book off that one.
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 11:20pm
SD, what do you think a reasonable train budget would be? We are looking at hiring a car for €300 each, would you realistically get 3/4 trains for much less than that? If they hike up prices like. Also would the cheap tickets be extremely limited? Include extras then for buses and taxis to replace short car journeys.

I'm getting quotes of €30 ish for medium length trains and €60 ish for longer journeys next January. But that is extreme off peak. If they raise prices for normal french matches I can only imagine what they will do for the Euro's.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 7:09pm
I'd be shocked if your train journeys were more than €300. Plus remember the costs of road tolls: €72 Lille to Marseille, according to another thread.

No train should be more than €100 even if you leave it late, and they should be a lot less.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 8:29pm
Worst case scenario, Interrail pass. 3 days travel within a month for €317. (€250 if you're under 26)

Just saying like View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The truth is out there

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just saying like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 8:32pm
@SD If you had to make a decision right now on a single base for the group stage what would be your choice based on using trains to get to our matches and maybe a few others as well?
wicklowrunner View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wicklowrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Worst case scenario, Interrail pass. 3 days travel within a month for €317. (€250 if you're under 26)

6 days Travel unless you travel in & out on same day.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 9:39pm
Paris would be the base, if I was going to pick a base, because everywhere has loads of daily services from Paris..... but I very likely won't be using Paris as a base.

€18 reservation on TGVs with an interrail pass to be added on top though, and they also need to be booked in advance, as once the train is full, you can't get on, and all TGVs are compulsory reservation..... you'd be cheaper waiting til actual individual train tickets go on sale, in case they are cheaper. There are some €9 TGV reservations available, but not that many, and they will go quickly.
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

I'd be shocked if your train journeys were more than €300. Plus remember the costs of road tolls: €72 Lille to Marseille, according to another thread.

No train should be more than €100 even if you leave it late, and they should be a lot less.

Thanks. It's the option of staying in campsites outside of the majority cities, which the car allows and trains really don't that is the main motivation for us to take a car as opposed to trains/buses. It could save us 20-30 each per night (300 over the fortnight).

There's an option of supporters buses to and from matches from a base between host cities, but that could depend on how far away our games are drawn. Would be hard to find a base between Bordeax Lille and Nice for example!
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 11:40pm
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic