Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141142143144145 238>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

So how many trophies have they won in the last 3 years that brings them closer to United on the pitch?

Given that Spurs finished ahead of United in the past 2 seasons and had only ever finished ahead of United just once (open to correction) before the 15/16 season it would hardly be outrageous to suggest that they've closed the gap on United on the pitch.

I don't know why you're getting so wound up over this like LOL

Spurs will never be as big as United, but United as a club aren't as powerful as they were at their peak under Fergie because of the emergence of City, Chelsea etc and then you have clubs like Spurs, Liverpool coming again. 

I'm not getting wound up at all. I'm just debating the topic, it seems though if you try and debate it people seems to think you've lost the plot.

Your point about Spurs finishing ahead of United is a good one, however you could argue United had completely fallen off the standards set over the previous two decades by the instability created from Fergie leaving. United have been far more stable this year and Spurs are already 10 points behind them after 15 games

Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

The whole conversation began from someone saying United are no longer a big enough club for people to be considered ABU's because they haven't won anything in years(cups don't count it seems). Then people have started to say about how similar United and Spurs are. You have now moved on to say about how Spurs have finished ahead of them the past two years but we're not comparing the stature of the clubs just about what has happened on the pitch.

Well on the pitch lets look at it. Since your memory of the Premier League seems to only want to stretch back 3 years max, it would be unfair to go back all 25 years because obviously on the pitch United have destroyed Spurs over the years, so lets double it and go back 6 years. On the pitch in the last 6 years, Spurs have won 0 titles, 0 cups. United have won the Europa League, the Premier League twice, the league cup, the FA cup. Do you want me to add up the points total from the years or should we just stick to your narrative and just use the previous 3 years because that suits your arguement?
Re your bold, you conveniently forget two things.

First, MU had Ferguson in charge six years ago. The team which finished the season was: Van der Sar, Vidic, Evans, Evra, Nani, Anderson, Scholes, Fletcher, Park and Berbatov, with Rooney, Carrick, Ferdinand and Giggs also on the books. And to show further how things have changed since then, their final day opponents were Blackpool! So you cannot hark back to those days, since they are irrelevant - you need a re-set. Seriously.

Second, Spurs appointed Poch three and a half seasons ago. Since then, they have progressed continuously, whilst Man U have regressed from their position as Champions six years ago (even if they are recovering strongly under JM).

Edited by Territorial - 05 Dec 2017 at 10:46pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Talk about being premature here lads ffs!
It was only a couple of weeks ago they beat the best team in the world 3-0 and now people are talking about regressing, jaysus christ.

Like I said in a previous page, Spurs giving the other teams a 20 point head start and missing out by a couple of points is not an uncommon thing to do for them, they just need to be more consistent.
Kane has had his best ever start to a season, but they've had the worst November they've had in years, November is usually the start of the run until the end of season but it seems to of gone opposite this year.

They were a different animal last year. I don’t think they were ever this far off the top or even the top 4 at any stage last season? They looked a really dynamic, fluid team with the best defence in the league last season. They’re leaking a lot of goals this year.

They did have a couple of great performances in the CL groups yes.

I don’t actually think Kane has hit the heights so far that he did last year. He failed to score in August and in some games hasn’t looked 100% fit

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 05 Dec 2017 at 10:47pm
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Talk about being premature here lads ffs!
It was only a couple of weeks ago they beat the best team in the world 3-0 and now people are talking about regressing, jaysus christ.

Like I said in a previous page, Spurs giving the other teams a 20 point head start and missing out by a couple of points is not an uncommon thing to do for them, they just need to be more consistent.
Kane has had his best ever start to a season, but they've had the worst November they've had in years, November is usually the start of the run until the end of season but it seems to of gone opposite this year.

They were a different animal last year. I don’t think they were ever this far off the top or even the top 4 at any stage last season? They looked a really dynamic, fluid team with the best defence in the league last season. They’re leaking a lot of goals this year.

They did have a couple of great performances in the CL groups yes.

I don’t actually think Kane has hit the heights so far that he did last year. He failed to score in August and in some games hasn’t looked 100% fit

Isn't that the case every season?
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 10:56pm

Just checked the stats and he’s scored 10 league and 6 CL goals so far, I didn’t think it was that many. Suppose he has had a rather good start in that case then.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Huge risk that with the wage constraints due to stadium build that they will lose the likes of Kane ali erikson and a few more.   If they don't deliver trophies they could be in trouble and not qualifying for Champions league would be a disaster.
The stadium build has been a big constraint, no doubt, but it will be ready for next season, thereby becoming a huge revenue boost, rather than a drain.

As for Kane, here is what he said a fortnight ago:

And sure, other top players like Alli and Erikson could leave sooner rather than later, but Levy showed his steel in making Modric stay a season longer than he had wanted. And in any case, at up to £150m for the pair, that would take a huge chunk out of the stadium repayments and/or boost the wage kitty substantially.

As for Champions League, that is obviously a major worry, but assuming none of City/United/Chelsea falter, it's still between Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool for the fourth qualifying spot - or fifth spot if one of those others wins it, or Arsenal win the Europa. And we're still not half way through the season.

Edited by Territorial - 05 Dec 2017 at 11:06pm
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 11:10pm
How many trophies do you think spurs will win between now and 2020. I am going to say 1.
AKA pedantic kunt
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 11:16pm

How many trophies do you think spurs will win between now and 2020. I am going to say 1.

The sad truth is teams would rather finish 4th than win the FA Cup.

Spurs beating Real Madrid at Wembley is the stuff of dreams for their supporters, despite being starved of trophy success. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 11:16pm
They are the new Arsenal . A well-oiled financial machine.
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 11:27pm

Spurs showed great potential the last two years. They didn’t win anything but showed signs of building something special there.
At the minute though the way things are going it wouldn’t surprise me if they regress badly over the next year or so. This season could see them unravel a bit.
Two seasons ago, Spurs were the only team to chase Leicester, yet whether due to lack of experience, nous or bottle, they blew it. People said that was their best (only?) chance of winning the League, and that they'd never recover.

Yet the following season, they were the only team who put it up to Chelsea, except that this time they didn't bottle it. Rather they gained more points in the second half of the season than any other team, including 13 consecutive victories to finish. And their final points tally of 86 would have been good enough to win the League most seasons.

As for this season, sure their League form is currently concerning. But look at our CL progress. Last season Spurs were outplayed by Leverkusen and embarrassed by Monaco. People said they couldn't play at Wembley. This season they've swept Dortmund aside with ease and embarrassed Real Madrid (in the home game, at least).

The point being that unless you've got megabucks to throw at the task in front of you, then it takes time to make progress on every front.

And however you look at it, two steps forward and one step back is still progress. 

Losing Walker and Rose being unavailable has certainly weakened them. They were the best fullback pairing in the league last year. Alli and Vertonghen arent the same players this season and you just don’t know how long they’ll hold onto the likes of Kane or Erikssen for.
Losing Walker, but promoting Trippier and signing Aurier hasn't greatly weakened them (imo).
As for Rose, before he was injured on 31 Jan, Spurs had taken 43 points from a possible 66. After Davies came in, they finished with 42 from 45 (the only dropped points came in an away defeat at Liverpool).

As for Alli, form is temporary, but class is permanent - he'll come good again. Meanwhile, Vertongen has been grand. 

In fact, the two key problems have been injury to Wanyama (truly excellent last season) and Alderweireld (arguably the best CB in the Prem last season?). The latter has meant Sanchez has had to be thrown in sooner than hoped and/or Dier has had to move back to CB. And it is this lack of a midfield shield that Wanyama and Dier provided in front of the back three/four which is at the real root of our problems. (Made worse by Dembele's fitness problems, since he can fill in if necessary). Anyhow, neither is out for the season, so it's only temporary.

As for losing players, if/when we do, it will be on our terms and in our time.

But hey, they've had a poor November, so it's all falling apart... LOL

Edited by Territorial - 05 Dec 2017 at 11:42pm
Barna Bee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barna Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 11:37pm

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Medals and trophies is all that matters and spurs are failures are delivering such things. 
Leicester won the EPL in 2016.
Wigan the FA Cup in 2013.
Swansea the League Cup in 2013 (and Birmingham two years before that).
Shaktar won the Europa League in 2009.
And Porto won the Champions League in 2004.

Where are they all these days?

And would any of them not rather be in Spurs' position just now?

Of course they would but the point is that spurs could easily be in their position in a few years and they will look back at the glory days of 2014-2018 and they will have sod all to show for it.   Spurs being this strong will not last forever and if they do not deliver when they are on top what chance have they when they are back to being mediocre again.   

Ok have been reading the last number of pages of this tripe ....and just now need to pull you up on this ....what you seem to be failing to realise is that ....the future is brighter for Spurs than it ever was before .....training facilities ....best in the UK and soon the be best club ground in the UK ....the blocks are in place ....its not a matter of if ....its a matter of time ....Spurs are moving on to the next level .

It might even be we lose a few more players ...maybe even Poch ....but over time the club is going to grow into something very big .

Clearly I am going to get a whack of abuse about titles etc ....yeah I know all that ...I can count....but I aint talking about the past ....Baldrick ....what I have highlighted above ....those days are over and soon Spurs will be competing for players etc as the revenue streams and fundamentals which have never been there will be in place ....Watch us rise !

There is 0 chance of this club not competing when the new changes are bedded in

Edited by Barna Bee - 05 Dec 2017 at 11:46pm
"in di cup for Tottinghang!"
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 7:32am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Spurs showed great potential the last two years. They didn’t win anything but showed signs of building something special there.
At the minute though the way things are going it wouldn’t surprise me if they regress badly over the next year or so. This season could see them unravel a bit.
Two seasons ago, Spurs were the only team to chase Leicester, yet whether due to lack of experience, nous or bottle, they blew it. People said that was their best (only?) chance of winning the League, and that they'd never recover.

Yet the following season, they were the only team who put it up to Chelsea, except that this time they didn't bottle it. Rather they gained more points in the second half of the season than any other team, including 13 consecutive victories to finish. And their final points tally of 86 would have been good enough to win the League most seasons.

As for this season, sure their League form is currently concerning. But look at our CL progress. Last season Spurs were outplayed by Leverkusen and embarrassed by Monaco. People said they couldn't play at Wembley. This season they've swept Dortmund aside with ease and embarrassed Real Madrid (in the home game, at least).

The point being that unless you've got megabucks to throw at the task in front of you, then it takes time to make progress on every front.

And however you look at it, two steps forward and one step back is still progress. 

Losing Walker and Rose being unavailable has certainly weakened them. They were the best fullback pairing in the league last year. Alli and Vertonghen arent the same players this season and you just don’t know how long they’ll hold onto the likes of Kane or Erikssen for.
Losing Walker, but promoting Trippier and signing Aurier hasn't greatly weakened them (imo).
As for Rose, before he was injured on 31 Jan, Spurs had taken 43 points from a possible 66. After Davies came in, they finished with 42 from 45 (the only dropped points came in an away defeat at Liverpool).

As for Alli, form is temporary, but class is permanent - he'll come good again. Meanwhile, Vertongen has been grand. 

In fact, the two key problems have been injury to Wanyama (truly excellent last season) and Alderweireld (arguably the best CB in the Prem last season?). The latter has meant Sanchez has had to be thrown in sooner than hoped and/or Dier has had to move back to CB. And it is this lack of a midfield shield that Wanyama and Dier provided in front of the back three/four which is at the real root of our problems. (Made worse by Dembele's fitness problems, since he can fill in if necessary). Anyhow, neither is out for the season, so it's only temporary.

As for losing players, if/when we do, it will be on our terms and in our time.

But hey, they've had a poor November, so it's all falling apart... LOL

So you think they’ll get top 4 this season?

Walker and Rose last season > Trippier/Aurier and Davies IMO

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 06 Dec 2017 at 7:35am
Barna Bee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barna Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 7:59am
Not sure about Walker and rose to be honest 

Bonzo for me was always out of position...and only his speed helped him defend ....always scrambling backwards...if it wasn't for Toby and Verts he would have been shown up ....and Rose ....when did he get injured ? he  been out for so long . Hes the best left back in the club but he's fairly injury prone .

This season he seems to think he is better than he is ,Should he be one of the best paid at Spurs ...not so sure .
Looks its easy to get a good right back and I rate both Trippier and Aurier ...dont think we are short there at all this year ....

Davis is the best of a bad lot .

Our defensive strength is in our fullbacks not these lads  anyway ....

Bottom line is I think we have as decent shot of getting in the top 4 ....This is definitely a bad spell ....but it will end soon and with the news that Wyanama is on his way back I think we will again be strong defensively 

Edited by Barna Bee - 06 Dec 2017 at 8:01am
"in di cup for Tottinghang!"
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 8:21am
I actually rate Trippier highly, think he is a better defender then Walker ever was and prob will ever be
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 8:56am
There is absolutely no point in debating anything about Man Utd with Bhob. You will not get any objective discussion going.
He is a proper Manc (born and bread in Ireland with absolutely no linkage to Manchester) who loves his British team and will not stand for anything bad said about them.

As for Spurs, the aim this year was always going to be 4th given they were playing at Wembley. 
The big 3 have way more resources than anybody else so Spurs are fighting with Arsenal and Liverpool for that 4th spot. They are going through a bad patch but are only 4 points off Liverpool. Still a lot of games to go.

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 9:42am
All as bad as each other on the rotw section. Overly sensitive fan boys.
AKA pedantic kunt
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

There is absolutely no point in debating anything about Man Utd with Bhob. You will not get any objective discussion going.
He is a proper Manc (born and bread in Ireland with absolutely no linkage to Manchester) who loves his British team and will not stand for anything bad said about them.

As for Spurs, the aim this year was always going to be 4th given they were playing at Wembley. 
The big 3 have way more resources than anybody else so Spurs are fighting with Arsenal and Liverpool for that 4th spot. They are going through a bad patch but are only 4 points off Liverpool. Still a lot of games to go.

LOL Not just Bhob tbf...My United supporting mates do the very same...Mancunian United fans on the other hand I find quite self deprecating
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 10:17am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

LOLLOLLOL

I'm well up for a debate, just unfortunately no one has been able to offer anything of use thus far. All it has been is forget about the past, it's all what might happen. Trophies don't mean sh*t, only titles and also Spurs can only be judged on their last 3 years of play. That's the summary so far. Oh and now you're using Wembley as an excuse LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141142143144145 238>
  Share Topic