You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Toronto

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 7:39pm
 Pubs and restaurants have basically no restrictions at the minute. Wear masks going to the bathroom and that’s it
Depends How nearby Toronto you want to be? Niagara is the only place within two hours of the city that is worthwhile tbh
There’s nowhere near Toronto I could recommend for decent pubs and restaurants. Canada is too big. Next decent place is Montreal and that’s about 8 hour drive away

Edited by bogball88 - 05 Sep 2021 at 8:00pm
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 7:50pm
Was there for the summer in 2018. Grace O Malleys used to be a great spot on a Thursday night. There’s loads of decent bars/ nighclubs around that area. Bar 422, Dublin Calling, The Porch and Croc Rock which is a well known cougar bar over there LOLLOL
hulkhogan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hulkhogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Was there for the summer in 2018. Grace O Malleys used to be a great spot on a Thursday night. There’s loads of decent bars/ nighclubs around that area. Bar 422, Dublin Calling, The Porch and Croc Rock which is a well known cougar bar over there LOLLOL

Croc rock is gone, bar 244 closed. Don't venture round that area much anymore tbh. Whoever said there's no restrictions is lying, still distanced, masks etc depending on the bar. Depends what age you are but cool arras to check out for pints off the beaten track, Danforth, leslieville, high park , little Portugal. Dublin calling us an absolute temp, actually big tip just stay away from Irish bars in general.

Areas within two hours, Elora is a great little town, bobcaygon is a great spot to head to aswell. Crystal beach is beautiful, couple nice bars there too. I would reccomend kwartha lakes just a little north of two hours too. If your going Niagara go to Niagara on the lake, the falls are cool but the city is a dump. Not sure on border crossings but buffalos worth a visit too.

The food here is amazing man, couple tips: banjara for Indian on bloor west, north of brookylyn pizza locations all over, bitondos pizza little Italy, banh mi boy sandwiches on yonge, any Chinese, dumpling place in china town. Korean bbq in Korea town, messinis in Greek town for great cheap gyros. If your looking for just basic tourist grub, any firkin or jack Astor's would do ya. Would highly reccomend kensington and st Lawrence market too and check out some food stalls, carribean and Mexican in Kensington especially. Couple of cool bars there too.

Feel free to dm me if you've any questions lad
Whacha gonna do
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 12:59am
I'm new here. Kensington Market has looked good craic passing through it. 

Toronto Islands are great for a day visit and a swim in what feels like the sea, you can rent canoes or paddle boards. If Bag O' Cans are more your thing, buy one of those cooler bags and they will keep them good for 6 hours. it can be busy on the weekends, weekdays are better. 

Buy a presto card top it up with $20, you get 2 hours travel on trams, buses and the subway for $3.50. 

It's very pricey here as they add 13% tax and about 15-20% tips are expected. 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Jock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 10:09am
whats the story with entering Canada now? Is Vaccine Passport enough or a test needed too?
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Jock Jock wrote:

whats the story with entering Canada now? Is Vaccine Passport enough or a test needed too?

Test, vaccine and you've to provide a quarantine plan

notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 3:34pm
Barque over in Roncesvalles is class as well, or at least it was! Lived in Toronto near 5 years ago now, loved it. 
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 5:47pm
Thanks lads, a lot to mull over in next couple of days but this is really helpful.

No quarantine for international arrivals @Nvidic that are fully vaxxed.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

Thanks lads, a lot to mull over in next couple of days but this is really helpful.

Still have to have a plan though! We're going over in two weeks, need to put your plan into the app and have it ready to show at jmmigration, it's for if you become symptomatic or they refuse you at the border.

We've a hotel booked on free cancellation for two weeks that we'll cancel after we get through immigration 
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 6:06am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Still have to have a plan though! We're going over in two weeks, need to put your plan into the app and have it ready to show at jmmigration, it's for if you become symptomatic or they refuse you at the border.

We've a hotel booked on free cancellation for two weeks that we'll cancel after we get through immigration 

Ah that looks like it only is required if you aren’t fully vaccinated or immigration doesn’t clear your vaccine cert from what I can see. A bit like the Irish immigration checking for passenger locator forms and covid certs!

Are you doing 2 weeks to get into the States?
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 7:18am
Hard to know what their thinking is behind it, we have it ready to go though!

We had planned the States for Nov but canned it with the uncertainty, we're doing Toronto/Banff/Jasper now, looking forward to it 
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 7:48pm
Anywhere downtown for the match tomorrow? Hard to find anything online and some Irish bars are closed. I didn’t even try and find somewhere for Pats match today based on previous experience here.

There was inconsequential price difference between the different places mentioned above taking everything into account (not driving either) so staying in Toronto for the next week. Will decide on where I’ll tip off to then based on the advice. I did see Montreal was generally cheaper.
hulkhogan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hulkhogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 9:32pm

Anywhere downtown for the match tomorrow? Hard to find anything online and some Irish bars are closed. I didn’t even try and find somewhere for Pats match today based on previous experience here.

There was inconsequential price difference between the different places mentioned above taking everything into account (not driving either) so staying in Toronto for the next week. Will decide on where I’ll tip off to then based on the advice. I did see Montreal was generally cheaper.

McVeigh's will have it on (dump though), rose and crown at yonge and eg will have it too (20 entry but should cover breakfast and pint) about five stops out of downtown on ttc, 15 dollar Uber. Montreal is a great city and yes much cheaper, much better nightlife than Toronto. Make sure you have your proof of vax there. There used to be lots of bars here that had drink deals but a lot have stopped due to pandemic. If your looking for a cheap area to booze though Danforth is good. Annex is pretty cheap too but very student focused (not sure your age). If your looking to check out iconic Toronto bars would reccomend horseshoe tavern or sneaky dees .

Whacha gonna do
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 10:21pm

The Galway arms would probably be showing it if it’s still open best pint of Guinness I had over there. Irish embassy was popular for showing all the gaa games too but was 20 cover charge just for the games.
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 1:51am
Tipped into the Tavern earlier. Good dive bar.

McVeighs looks best option as local 👍🏾
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 9:52am
Flew in yesterday, Aer Lingus asked if I had the pcr test, eta, arrivecan app and double vaccination, but didn't actually check. 

When you land you full out some information on a screen and it gives you a print out, you show that to someone else, they give you a green sticker which means you're good to go, or a pink sticker means a random check, I wasn't sure if that was a test or if they check your documents. I never had any document checked for vaccination or for the pcr test.

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 10:13am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Flew in yesterday, Aer Lingus asked if I had the pcr test, eta, arrivecan app and double vaccination, but didn't actually check. 

When you land you full out some information on a screen and it gives you a print out, you show that to someone else, they give you a green sticker which means you're good to go, or a pink sticker means a random check, I wasn't sure if that was a test or if they check your documents. I never had any document checked for vaccination or for the pcr test.

That was the way before anyway too it’s not Covid related I think.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 3:11pm
Well the pink sticker sent some for a covid test, few years since I was in Toronto but seems a bit different

Was all very fast and efficient though 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic