FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aidan Keena

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aidan Keena
    Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 9:47pm
Came on as a sub but no goals tonight. For him or for Cheltenham. They already had set the record for the longest time from the start of a season to go without a league goal, but now they've also equalled the longest time without a league goal at any point in the season.
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 7:13pm
Drops to the bench tonight
Idah Dream!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Seems a fairly arbitrary point in time to declare a side "the worst at (insert whatever) in history"?

On Keena specifically, he managed 6 goals and 3 assists in 19 league games for Cheltenham in the 2nd half of last season, which would suggest he's capable of performing at that level.

Well, no professional team in England has ever gone this long into a season without scoring a goal before, so I guess that makes them the worst.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 12:36pm
Seems a fairly arbitrary point in time to declare a side "the worst at (insert whatever) in history"?

On Keena specifically, he managed 6 goals and 3 assists in 19 league games for Cheltenham in the 2nd half of last season, which would suggest he's capable of performing at that level.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 12:21pm
Keena is currently part of the worst attack in the history of English league football at Cheltenham Town. They're 10 games into the season and they haven't scored a goal yet, he's played in every game so far. Things got so bad at the weekend that he was taken off after 35 minutes to try to improve things. That didn't work either though so the problems are presumably more than just him. But not a great position to be in all the same.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Has not had a linear career trajectory but this is him proving himself consistently at the highest level he has to date so it will be interesting to see how far he can go. I remember he had a couple of decent loans out of Hearts and then moved down to England but back up to Scotland for personal reasons (per Hartlepool manager at the time) and ended up down the divisions in Falkirk as a result. Settled and scored at Sligo. Settling and scoring at Cheltenham. Hopefully things do continue in this more linear manner! 

Ruairi Paton is another example. Young strikers/attacking players need to be learning the craft at a young age regardless of the level and it’s often a positive to be learning it multiple divisions below your potential ceiling if it means your getting regular gametime. 

Jonathan Walters,Daryl Murphy Kevin Doyle high profile examples of this.

Edited by kevin100 - 07 May 2023 at 8:18pm
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 8:02pm
Has not had a linear career trajectory but this is him proving himself consistently at the highest level he has to date so it will be interesting to see how far he can go. I remember he had a couple of decent loans out of Hearts and then moved down to England but back up to Scotland for personal reasons (per Hartlepool manager at the time) and ended up down the divisions in Falkirk as a result. Settled and scored at Sligo. Settling and scoring at Cheltenham. Hopefully things do continue in this more linear manner! 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 7:11pm
 Another goal and an assist today for Aidan. 6 goals and 3 assists in 1200 minutes since his January move, impressive start to life across the water, yet another who at 24yo still has a chance!

Edited by John Nice - 07 May 2023 at 7:13pm
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2023 at 4:51pm
Another couple for Aidan today!
Idah Dream!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2023 at 4:05pm
Goal and assist so far today - that's 3 goals and 2 assists since joining Cheltenham. Seems to have settled in fairly well.
We're decent enough..
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by 84ccfc84 84ccfc84 wrote:

keena and kelly alike are miles off the required level.
I never will understand this need people have to write players off.
Keena is only in the UK two months, finding his feet and just starting to score goals. Still only 23yo. As a comparison John Egan was playing League One with Gillingham at the same age and now he is an important first team starter for Ireland.
Kelly's season in the Championship been disrupted by injury especially when he just got starting regularly and scoring goals for Rotherham. He is still having issues regaining full fitness. Hopefully Rotherham stay up and he can get another cracking at the Championship.
Currently both players are far down the peaking order with a lot of options head off them and they have a lot to do. But none of us know where their career trajectory will go. Writing them off is silly.

When Keena left Sligo Rovers he mentioned in an article that one of his career ambitions is to get into the Ireland squad. From watching him last season he is a very hard worker and he has the ability to score and create goals. It is up to him to keep working hard and perform, get to a higher level like the Championship and perform, score regularly there to become an option for the Ireland squad.

Tbf, I think Kelly's ship has probably sailed at this point, 26 and hasnt been able to establish himself as a regular starter at Rotherham 15 months since he moved over from the LOI. Keena is almost 3 years younger however, and only 3 months in England, so he still has a chance, he could be a starting striker in the Championship by the time he hits 25 which is probably the minimum required for consideration..

Personally I don't think Kelly's ship has shipped. He is playing regularly in the Championship when he is fit
Kelly was just starting a run of matches for Rotherham in the Championship , he was playing well and scoring goals at the time until he got injured. If Rotherham stay up Kelly will have another swing at the Championship. All it will take is a sustained run if scoring goals, a few of the current players a head of him get injured, not playing or in poor form ,he could be seen at an option for us.
I really don't get this ship has shipped stuff, you just don't know what will happen in a years time and just using his age of 26yo doesn't prove anything. People seen to enjoy writing players off, I just don't get in.

Fair enough, he could be a late bloomer, but I have seen more of him than I have of Keena tbh and he currently doesnt look of the required quality, he's not the quickest and he doesnt have a great touch imo. He does know where the net is and he can be a handful for defenders, but he will need to improve his hold up play as he matures to have any chance. I wouldnt write any player off, Wes got a cap at 25, 1 at 29 and then another 41 in his 30's. The difference here is Wes always looked like a lad with talent, I like Georgie, he's a fellow Donegal man, but I dont see it in him, hope I'm wrong.
Idah Dream!
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Keena is only in the UK two months, finding his feet and just starting to score goals. Still only 23yo. As a comparison John Egan was playing League One with Gillingham at the same age and now he is an important first team starter for Ireland.
Kelly's season in the Championship been disrupted by injury especially when he just got starting regularly and scoring goals for Rotherham. He is still having issues regaining full fitness. Hopefully Rotherham stay up and he can get another cracking at the Championship.
Currently both players are far down the peaking order with a lot of options head off them and they have a lot to do. But none of us know where their career trajectory will go. Writing them off is silly.

When Keena left Sligo Rovers he mentioned in an article that one of his career ambitions is to get into the Ireland squad. From watching him last season he is a very hard worker and he has the ability to score and create goals. It is up to him to keep working hard and perform, get to a higher level like the Championship and perform, score regularly there to become an option for the Ireland squad.

Tbf, I think Kelly's ship has probably sailed at this point, 26 and hasnt been able to establish himself as a regular starter at Rotherham 15 months since he moved over from the LOI. Keena is almost 3 years younger however, and only 3 months in England, so he still has a chance, he could be a starting striker in the Championship by the time he hits 25 which is probably the minimum required for consideration..

Personally I don't think Kelly's ship has shipped. He is playing regularly in the Championship when he is fit
Kelly was just starting a run of matches for Rotherham in the Championship , he was playing well and scoring goals at the time until he got injured. If Rotherham stay up Kelly will have another swing at the Championship. All it will take is a sustained run if scoring goals, a few of the current players a head of him get injured, not playing or in poor form ,he could be seen at an option for us.
I really don't get this ship has shipped stuff, you just don't know what will happen in a years time and just using his age of 26yo doesn't prove anything. People seen to enjoy writing players off, I just don't get in.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 2:29pm

Edited by John Nice - 31 Mar 2023 at 2:29pm
Idah Dream!
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 5:46pm

84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 3:24pm
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

We do have about 50 players playing in the Championship though, some of which have never been called up, and that's a fair step up from League 1. I don't mind League 1 - it's a good starting point for first time loanees, players who don't make it at bigger clubs or lads going over from Ireland. But I think most will need to step up a division to come into senior contention. Even someone like Azaz. Let's see how he does in the Championship and then make a call on him.

That's probably fair enough. Remember Hourihane a few years back when he was breaking through in L1. He was banging in crackers on the regular. He has never been convincing at senior International level. 
El Puto Amo
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 3:18pm
We do have about 50 players playing in the Championship though, some of which have never been called up, and that's a fair step up from League 1. I don't mind League 1 - it's a good starting point for first time loanees, players who don't make it at bigger clubs or lads going over from Ireland. But I think most will need to step up a division to come into senior contention. Even someone like Azaz. Let's see how he does in the Championship and then make a call on him.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 3:00pm
I'd agree that L1 probably isnt enough to warrant a call up any more, unless producing exceptional numbers there like Azaz, and I havent seen enough of Keena to offer any real insight on him, but lads at 22 and 23 playing L1 football regularly must have a chance of stepping up another level as their careers progress. Given we currently only have 2 PL regulars in the squad and one is 34 pushing 35 while the other is a GK, any lad under the age of 25 playing regularly at L1 level must think they might get a sniff in the future.
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic