FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tom Cannon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 55>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tom Cannon
    Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 3:13pm
Sponsored Links

Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 2:11pm
Another goal today, he'll hit a hot streak and take time to "concentrate on his club career" Confused

Edited by Mr. Snrub - 06 Jan 2024 at 2:11pm
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Wasn't there a bit of an issue before with the under age teams whereby the English lads were preferred over home grown Irish players to try and prevent them from switching.

Noel King.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

I'm sure most of us don't just support Ireland, we support our club teams as well. But my support for Ireland is very different from my support for my club. I couldn't care less about the national backgrounds of the club players. But I want the Ireland team to actually reflect something about our country. So I want the players to have a sincere prior connection with Ireland, in whatever form that takes, if at all possible.

I'd imagine you'll be devastated by Finn Azaz playing for us given his background then. It's hard to believe that in this day and age we're still wrestling with all of this blood purity sh*te when it comes to our national team, but then again there always has been a weird amount of derision towards the diaspora.
Why would I be devastated? The lad is English born of both Irish and Israeli heritage. It seems he has the choice of 3 nations. If he has a sense of Irishness as part of his mixed heritage, welcome aboard!

And what if that sense of Irishness came with a strong sense of also being Israeli - would that pass your "purity of the soul" check, seeing as our players apparently are only legitimate Irishmen if they represent all of your own views on Irishnes?
The only requirement is that they pass their own sense of Irishness, not mine. I have German, Italian and English heritage. But I'm Irish.

So then who are you to say that all of those you deride don't posssess their "own sense of Irishness", if that really is all it requires? 
I haven't derided anyone. If a player has his own sense of being Irish, regardless of his place of birth, then I'm happy for him to represent Ireland. Its those who chose to play for us purely to advance their own careers I would have a problem with.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 5:20pm

I'm sure most of us don't just support Ireland, we support our club teams as well. But my support for Ireland is very different from my support for my club. I couldn't care less about the national backgrounds of the club players. But I want the Ireland team to actually reflect something about our country. So I want the players to have a sincere prior connection with Ireland, in whatever form that takes, if at all possible.

I'd imagine you'll be devastated by Finn Azaz playing for us given his background then. It's hard to believe that in this day and age we're still wrestling with all of this blood purity sh*te when it comes to our national team, but then again there always has been a weird amount of derision towards the diaspora.
Why would I be devastated? The lad is English born of both Irish and Israeli heritage. It seems he has the choice of 3 nations. If he has a sense of Irishness as part of his mixed heritage, welcome aboard!

And what if that sense of Irishness came with a strong sense of also being Israeli - would that pass your "purity of the soul" check, seeing as our players apparently are only legitimate Irishmen if they represent all of your own views on Irishnes?
The only requirement is that they pass their own sense of Irishness, not mine. I have German, Italian and English heritage. But I'm Irish.

So then who are you to say that all of those you deride don't posssess their "own sense of Irishness", if that really is all it requires? 
We're decent enough..
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 4:12pm

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 4:08pm

We're decent enough..
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 3:53pm

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Professional footballers are all mercenaries. I do not blame them for that. It’s a short career where you have to maximise your opportunities before it’s all over. Doesn’t make a lot of sense to for instance extol the performances of Mikey Johnston for Ireland if you’re annoyed about him taking years to declare in the first place. Or lament the defections of Rice and Grealish if you weren’t happy about their selection in squads ahead of Ireland born players. Whatever their motives or mindsets, professional players want to play well when they’re on the field and it really is down to putting out the best team possible under the rules that pertain at any given time.

Wouldn't agree with that at all.

I think a lot of it is agent driven. If they were all mercenaries, they would be engineering moves to SA.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 2:38pm
Tom Cannon. Deary me. 
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 2:36pm
Professional footballers are all mercenaries. I do not blame them for that. It’s a short career where you have to maximise your opportunities before it’s all over. Doesn’t make a lot of sense to for instance extol the performances of Mikey Johnston for Ireland if you’re annoyed about him taking years to declare in the first place. Or lament the defections of Rice and Grealish if you weren’t happy about their selection in squads ahead of Ireland born players. Whatever their motives or mindsets, professional players want to play well when they’re on the field and it really is down to putting out the best team possible under the rules that pertain at any given time.

Edited by Green Cockade - 05 Jan 2024 at 2:37pm
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I reckon the next update from Cannon will be that he's concentrating on this club career (he will get a chance to play in the EPL and may end up getting an England call).

Which is the influence coming from the agent no doubt. "Look at Grealish and Rice, 100m players within a a few years of switching to England". 

This would be the situation where you tell them right it's the last time we are asking you. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 1:51pm
Wasn't there a bit of an issue before with the under age teams whereby the English lads were preferred over home grown Irish players to try and prevent them from switching.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Imagine being offered a job and you leave them hanging for over a year. 

I like the granny rule and I'm fine if a player asks "can you give me a bit of time to mull things over'. But a bit of time should be like a month or two max to talk it over with the family. If by the next window they are still saying they are not sure then leave them to it. Let them come begging to you later on rather than chasing them down.
I'd even come out publicly as a manager and say "The player has said he hasn't made up his mind so im closing the door on that one, we have other players who want to play for us. The door is not locked but it will be up to player if he wants to come back and ask us to reconsider him again'. 

Sums it up well for me, leeway both ways. 

Spot on. Exactly how it should should be put by the next manager by leaving the door open without making us look needy and puts the onus on the player not to string us along. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 1:43pm

In fairness, Azaz having Israeli heritage doesn't preclude him from having a sincere connection to Ireland. I kinda get what TOFT is saying. It'd be pretty depressing if we'd a squad filled with England rejects who were just using us a way to rack up a few international caps. It's nice that we have lads, even ones from the diaspora, who have sincere connections and represent us with a sense of national pride. I say this as a member of the diaspora myself, fwiw.

Edited by SeaSharp - 05 Jan 2024 at 1:44pm
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 1:36pm
Jesus lads there is some fierce philosophical argument’s going on here.

The rules are the rules it’s a as simple as that every nation is governed by the same set of rules,

We like every nation should use them to the best of our advantage anything other than this is pie in the sky.

We should of course with our limited playing pool be exploiting every option available to us.

Edited by Fruice - 05 Jan 2024 at 1:36pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 1:35pm

Edited by The O'Shea - 05 Jan 2024 at 1:36pm
We're decent enough..
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 12:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 55>
  Share Topic