FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EURO 2024 Qualifier GROUP B

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 50>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
J89 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EURO 2024 Qualifier GROUP B
    Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 5:05pm
See UEFA have announced that after these qualifiers the ones for 2028 will be 12 groups of 4 and 5.

Which also leads to the changes they've made for the Nations League which now includes quarter finals League A along with promotion/relegation play offs. There'll be no promotion/relegation playoff between League C and D.

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/mediaservices/mediareleases/news/027d-1727b3b1e199-61019185e2c8-1000--new-formats-for-uefa-men-s-national-team-competitions-app/
Sponsored Links

Greenie50 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 12:49am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Right so as of today this is the team i would go 

Bazunu
          Collins    Egan    O'Shea
Doherty                                       O'Dowda

Browne Cullen Molumby

Ogbene       Ferguson

Depending on gametime you could replace Doherty for Coleman. I went with O'Dowda instead of James as i think hes probably a better passer and offers a bit more going forward. Im not a hige fan of Browne but he does pop up with goals and we might need some physicality against France so hes in there instead of Knight. Ogbene up top for me. Has goals in him and is an all round good player. We will have to see how Obafemi gets on in the transfer window. Is that enough to beat France? Almost certainly not. Even scraping a draw would be a monumental achievement i think. We may be able to get at Holland and Greece and get points from them and see where we go.

EF or AI
    McGrath Cullen Molumby Ogbene                                 
 Doherty O'Shea Egan Collins Coleman
                       Bazunu  

541/3421 but it can easily switch to 352 just by pushing Ogbene up along side the other striker.
Ferguson or Idah up top.
I'd go with Ogbene over Obafemi as Ogbene gives more versatility (winger/striker) & more physicality (Obafemi won't get into duels or challenge for headers, etc). Obafemi could pull a goal out of nothing or he could be marked out of a game like this and be anonymous.

McGrath (more technical) over Browne or Knight , based on both his performances vs Portugal. Browne would be first off the bench.
I don't think Knight is ready for this level, at least while playing in League 1, was poor in the 2 games in September, needs to get out of Derby.

Doherty & Coleman as wingbacks, best 2 we have by a wide margin. McClean shouldn't be anywhere near this game.
Consideration could be given to Festy if he starts playing regularly between now and then.

Edited by Greenie50 - 23 Jan 2023 at 12:51am
Nialler View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 12:17am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Indo reporting we'll be in Anatlaya for a week ahead of the Greece game for a camp to acclimatise to the heat
Probably a good idea. Pretty sure you mean Antalya right? 
Thinking back to the Cyprus games and Turkey game in the past where we looked dead on our feet. 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 11:19pm
Indo reporting we'll be in Antalaya for a week ahead of the Greece game for a camp to acclimatise to the heat

Edited by Denis Irwin - 23 Jan 2023 at 12:25am
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 10:20pm
I'd have the same team other than I'd have Knight over Browne because he's just a far better player in my view. If Obafemi showed some form by March he could come in for Ogbene, otherwise no change up front. LWB has loads of options but none are particularly great, I'd agree with the O'Dowda shout there.

Edited by You Tell Me - 21 Jan 2023 at 10:21pm
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 8:30pm
Right so as of today this is the team i would go 

Bazunu
          Collins    Egan    O'Shea
Doherty                                       O'Dowda

Browne Cullen Molumby

Ogbene       Ferguson

Depending on gametime you could replace Doherty for Coleman. I went with O'Dowda instead of James as i think hes probably a better passer and offers a bit more going forward. Im not a hige fan of Browne but he does pop up with goals and we might need some physicality against France so hes in there instead of Knight. Ogbene up top for me. Has goals in him and is an all round good player. We will have to see how Obafemi gets on in the transfer window. Is that enough to beat France? Almost certainly not. Even scraping a draw would be a monumental achievement i think. We may be able to get at Holland and Greece and get points from them and see where we go.
I love beer gardens
Borussia View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Originally posted by ThrowInDelap ThrowInDelap wrote:

thought zidane was lined up 

PSA- was looking for tickets for non hardcore fans like ourselves and the good people in the FAI ticket office told me tickets for the dirty public will be on sale w/b 23rd Jan. So keep a lookout. 

That definite ? general sale w/c 23 Jan for France at home 

Isn't there normally a pre-sale for exiting season ticket holders first? Doesn't leave much time for this. 
Newryrep View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 9:46am
Originally posted by ThrowInDelap ThrowInDelap wrote:

PSA- was looking for tickets for non hardcore fans like ourselves and the good people in the FAI ticket office told me tickets for the dirty public will be on sale w/b 23rd Jan. So keep a lookout. 

That definite ? general sale w/c 23 Jan for France at home 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Lloris has retired.
Bad news.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 7:36pm
Lloris has retired.
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?
ThrowInDelap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThrowInDelap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 5:23pm
For France (H)
If time's a drug, then Big Ben is a huge needle injecting it into the sky.
ThrowInDelap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThrowInDelap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 5:21pm

If time's a drug, then Big Ben is a huge needle injecting it into the sky.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 12:13pm
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 10:32am
Deschamps extends his contract 
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2022 at 4:34pm
Holland must only improve now freed from the shackles of van Gaal
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 2:09pm
Cheers. Realistically finishing 3rd would be our aim and hope of a playoff. Although finishing bottom and qualifying via a playoff would be glorious.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

To save me reading back through this, what do we need to happen for us to get a playoff?

Could we finish 4th and still end up in a playoff?

We could finish bottom and still get a playoff. Or come third and not get one. Basically nothing we do in 2023 actually matters once it's accepted that we're not finishing in the top 2 in this group.
CantonasCat View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CantonasCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 12:01am
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

To save me reading back through this, what do we need to happen for us to get a playoff?

Could we finish 4th and still end up in a playoff?

Yes. The playoff spots are handed out via the Nations League. Doesnt matter where you finish in your regular qualifying group.

As for what we need to happen? We need as many teams as posible that have already earned a playoff spot in the Nations League to qualify automatically in these qualifiers and thus, their playoff spot gets handed down to us.

Thanks for this - i’d been wondering the same myself! Thought it was that way. Great to have it clarified
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 50>
  Share Topic