FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro 2020: Group A ITL, SWI, TUR, WAL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Euro 2020: Group A ITL, SWI, TUR, WAL
    Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 9:07am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

This is an interesting one, Italy look weak, and the other 3 all look like potential surprise packages. Toughest group to call the order

They're unbeaten in 27 matches 
I heard that stat alright but I think it's overblown. They weren't at the last WC so they've just played qualifiers, nations league and friendlies. Only 8 of those games were against teams that made it to the Euros, knocking up 5 wins and 3 draws against Poland, Netherlands, Finland, Ukraine and Czechs. I don't expect any of those teams to be standing in the last 8 of Euro 2020 so it's definitely a step up in standard.

Italian teams haven't been really competing for Champions League for the last few years either, Juve haven't got past QF in a good few years now. 

On top of that, opening games tend to supply upsets too.

They'll qualify from the group, but can't see them making in past a QF

Bump
I had a feeling the hindsight brigade would bump that one.

I stand by most of it, their 28 game unbeaten run leading into the tournament was against second rate teams so I wasn't reading too much into it. 

They definitely upped the level in the knockouts, after riding their luck against Austria, they were very impressive beating Belgium, Spain and England. Worthy winners
Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 11:12pm

This is an interesting one, Italy look weak, and the other 3 all look like potential surprise packages. Toughest group to call the order

They're unbeaten in 27 matches 
I heard that stat alright but I think it's overblown. They weren't at the last WC so they've just played qualifiers, nations league and friendlies. Only 8 of those games were against teams that made it to the Euros, knocking up 5 wins and 3 draws against Poland, Netherlands, Finland, Ukraine and Czechs. I don't expect any of those teams to be standing in the last 8 of Euro 2020 so it's definitely a step up in standard.

Italian teams haven't been really competing for Champions League for the last few years either, Juve haven't got past QF in a good few years now. 

On top of that, opening games tend to supply upsets too.

They'll qualify from the group, but can't see them making in past a QF

Bump
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 5:46pm
LOLLOLLOL
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 5:08pm
LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 4:59pm
Turkish team arrives in Istanbul

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Just one more goal and Turkey would have equalled our record at Euro 2012

In fairness given the relative expectations that we had (Us to not qualify out of the group and finish 3rd at best) and the ones Turkey had (possible dark horses for the tournament and certainly to qualify out of their group)  not to mention the teams we had in our group, Turkey's overall performances were disgraceful tbh. 

Their showing was worse than ours imo. I think we were a little bit unlucky and fairly competitive in the Croatia game but no one could say Turkey deserved anything out of their 3 games against much weaker opposition. 

Erdogan will have them horse-whipped when they get back. 

Edited by irishmufc - 20 Jun 2021 at 8:31pm
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 7:25pm
Just one more goal and Turkey would have equalled our record at Euro 2012
It would damage this forums' reputation
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 7:23pm
Italy really look impressive though they didn't meet much resistance in that group really. Really like how they play though and looking forward to seeing them against a better side, I'd love to see them vs. Belgium in the quarters, think it would be a classic. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 7:12pm
Denmark still have a decent chance of making 2nd spot if they beat Russia 2-0 and Finland lose to Belgium. I'm sure the Welsh would rather face Finland, then Russia and Denmark last in that order of preference.  

I'm sure the Turks will give their national team a heroes welcome at Istanbul airport. LOL

Absolutely pathetic stuff from Turkey. 
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 5:50pm
if they're not careful wales could end up 3rd making things a lot harder in the last 16.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 5:45pm
Even with all the changes Italy have not lost any momentum, and seem to have just perfected winning the ball back. I suspect Wales will have some sort of a purple patch, but its hard not to look at the game against Turkey as a product of just how poor Turkey were (more of that today it appears against the Swiss)
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 5:41pm
Well worked free
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I think it might suit Wales to finish runners up as they'd probably rather Finland/Russia than Ukraine/Austria. Not much between those 4 teams either though. 

The winner of the group could play Belgium in the quarters whereas the runner up could play the Dutch.

The runners up path seems a much easier route to the semi. 
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Italians making a whole host of changes. A great chance for Wales to do an Ireland on them. 
8/1. Cmon Wales Clap
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 4:23pm
I think it might suit Wales to finish runners up as they'd probably rather Finland/Russia than Ukraine/Austria. Not much between those 4 teams either though. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Who do the winners and second place in this group play 
winner plays Ukraine or Austria and runner in Belgiums group . 

Edited by colemanY2K - 20 Jun 2021 at 4:12pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 4:03pm
Who do the winners and second place in this group play 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 4:00pm
Italians making a whole host of changes. A great chance for Wales to do an Ireland on them. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic