You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login


We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 358>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Shermanator1 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb


Joined: 11 Jul 2020
Location: New Jersey, USA
Status: Offline
Points: 48
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shermanator1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann
    Posted: 5 hours 34 minutes ago at 12:38am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by Shermanator1 Shermanator1 wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Michael O'Neill close to returning as manager
Given the overwhelmingly enthusiastic response to his return, and their favorable qualifying group, I'd give Northern Ireland an excellent chance to qualify for EURO 2024.  



On checking their squad I would give them next to no chance of qualifying.

Should be an excellent testament to what a pragmatic manager can do with a limited group of players.
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Joined: 29 Mar 2013
Location: Co Down
Status: Offline
Points: 8330
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6 hours 44 minutes ago at 11:28pm
Originally posted by Shermanator1 Shermanator1 wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Michael O'Neill close to returning as manager
Given the overwhelmingly enthusiastic response to his return, and their favorable qualifying group, I'd give Northern Ireland an excellent chance to qualify for EURO 2024.  



On checking their squad I would give them next to no chance of qualifying.
Back to Top
Shermanator1 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb


Joined: 11 Jul 2020
Location: New Jersey, USA
Status: Offline
Points: 48
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shermanator1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7 hours 3 minutes ago at 11:09pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Michael O'Neill close to returning as manager
Given the overwhelmingly enthusiastic response to his return, and their favorable qualifying group, I'd give Northern Ireland an excellent chance to qualify for EURO 2024.  


Back to Top
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Location: Irish Riviera
Status: Offline
Points: 36567
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7 hours 19 minutes ago at 10:53pm
They say never go back.

In Ulster they just say NEVER! LOL
Insert pathetic Baldrick post below
Back to Top
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton


Joined: 25 Nov 2014
Status: Offline
Points: 5613
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8 hours 57 minutes ago at 9:15pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Michael O'Neill close to returning as manager
Yep, it's happening!

So never mind all this World Cup nonsense, this is the real "Big News" from the world of football today. Thumbs Up


Back to Top
dangere_here View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan


Joined: 24 Nov 2018
Status: Offline
Points: 73
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 hours 27 minutes ago at 4:45pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

Originally posted by dangere_here dangere_here wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Terrence what sort of reception would an EIRE supporter receive in here.  Genuinely curious.




Have actually drank in there a few years back after a day trip up from Dublin, no bother at all and good craic actually. We were in there for 8 or 9 hours as well. They have a few decent framed photos of some of the Ireland v NI matches from the 80s and 90s on the wall and I think a jersey or two. Bus load of Apprentice Boys came in at one point but just lots of good natured sl*gging and plenty of dark humour.

Very well looked after I have to say, but perhaps a different story if we were from the Falls instead of Dublin. Normal working class pub though and the sort of place you'll be fine if you don't go looking for trouble. They even played the Fields of Athenry for us LOL

You went on a day trip and spent 8 or nine hours in the same boozer???


Getting settled in one spot is a thing with old age Embarrassed Think we had a pint in Laverys beforehand and then Brennan's later on after we got out of the West Bank. Mind you, with some of the ladies in there we were probably safer on the Shankhill LOL
Back to Top
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton


Joined: 25 Nov 2014
Status: Offline
Points: 5613
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 hours 11 minutes ago at 2:01pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

You went on a day trip and spent 8 or nine hours in the same boozer???

He tried to leave several times, but he was drinking so much the bouncers kept throwing him back in!


Edited by Territorial - 16 hours 10 minutes ago at 2:02pm
Back to Top
oldbilly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Avatar

Joined: 30 Sep 2016
Status: Offline
Points: 2774
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 hours 26 minutes ago at 1:46pm
Originally posted by dangere_here dangere_here wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Terrence what sort of reception would an EIRE supporter receive in here.  Genuinely curious.




Have actually drank in there a few years back after a day trip up from Dublin, no bother at all and good craic actually. We were in there for 8 or 9 hours as well. They have a few decent framed photos of some of the Ireland v NI matches from the 80s and 90s on the wall and I think a jersey or two. Bus load of Apprentice Boys came in at one point but just lots of good natured sl*gging and plenty of dark humour.

Very well looked after I have to say, but perhaps a different story if we were from the Falls instead of Dublin. Normal working class pub though and the sort of place you'll be fine if you don't go looking for trouble. They even played the Fields of Athenry for us LOL

You went on a day trip and spent 8 or nine hours in the same boozer???
No Pasaran!
Back to Top
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Avatar
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Joined: 27 Sep 2010
Location: Clairefontaine
Status: Offline
Points: 15723
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 hours 19 minutes ago at 11:53am
Michael O'Neill close to returning as manager
Back to Top
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2015
Location: Newry
Status: Offline
Points: 3293
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

The Hatfield is perfectly safe, Terri. It used to be a working class corner pub frequented by locals from the lower Ormeau Road where it is located and was once affectionately known as “planet of the Irps’ due to the preponderance of INLA/ IRSP members who drank there during the war years. But it has since morphed into a large student pub / restaurant with a completely different vibe. Nobody has been murdered in it for years. The Felons on the Falls Road was always noted for the fact that no actual felons ever used to go there for their own security reasons. It would not attract a lot of non-local passing trade even in peacetime but it’s been fine on the few occasions I’ve been there.

Without question the most Northern Irish recommendation for a pub you'll ever see. LOL
LOLLOLLOL
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Back to Top
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan


Joined: 05 Jan 2019
Status: Offline
Points: 844
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

The Hatfield is perfectly safe, Terri. It used to be a working class corner pub frequented by locals from the lower Ormeau Road where it is located and was once affectionately known as “planet of the Irps’ due to the preponderance of INLA/ IRSP members who drank there during the war years. But it has since morphed into a large student pub / restaurant with a completely different vibe. Nobody has been murdered in it for years. The Felons on the Falls Road was always noted for the fact that no actual felons ever used to go there for their own security reasons. It would not attract a lot of non-local passing trade even in peacetime but it’s been fine on the few occasions I’ve been there.

Without question the most Northern Irish recommendation for a pub you'll ever see. 
LOL
Back to Top
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Avatar

Joined: 22 Jan 2020
Location: Belfast
Status: Offline
Points: 2082
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 12:29pm
Joke used to be that you’d get a good head on your beer in the Hatfield. Last one to get topped there was INLA man Emmanuel Gargan who had his head blown off with a shotgun in an internal feud in 1987. A talented footballer in his youth who had been on trial with Arsenal, Gargan was on crutches at the time having been shot three times in a previous attack. Some of the Hatfield’s more hardcore drunks are reputed to have not fled the scene but used the opportunity to minesweep drinks that other customers had left behind.
Back to Top
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton


Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 4136
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

The Hatfield is perfectly safe, Terri. It used to be a working class corner pub frequented by locals from the lower Ormeau Road where it is located and was once affectionately known as “planet of the Irps’ due to the preponderance of INLA/ IRSP members who drank there during the war years. But it has since morphed into a large student pub / restaurant with a completely different vibe. Nobody has been murdered in it for years. The Felons on the Falls Road was always noted for the fact that no actual felons ever used to go there for their own security reasons. It would not attract a lot of non-local passing trade even in peacetime but it’s been fine on the few occasions I’ve been there.

Without question the most Northern Irish recommendation for a pub you'll ever see. LOL
Back to Top
dangere_here View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan


Joined: 24 Nov 2018
Status: Offline
Points: 73
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:


Meet Christopher Atherton, 13, the United Kingdom’s youngest ever senior footballer



But will he enjoy standing to attention for God Save the King?

Something tells me that if it ever comes to pass, he'll be a lot less bothered by it than you are. However* that works.


* - Maybe like eg Ulster Prods aren't bothered by standing for the Soldiers Song - twice - at Ireland rugby matches in the Aviva?  HTH

GSTQ is not your national anthem whilst Amhrán na bhFiann has always been ours, so quite a big difference and the reality is that WP is a cold house for Nationalists - always has been and always will be.


Territorial, can I ask, genuinely, why does Northern Ireland use God Save The Queen/King as it's national anthem?

Yes I know you are gonna say "I am British and God Save The Queen/King is the British national anthem."  But Scots use Scotland The Brave, and the Welsh use Land Of My Fathers for their anthems.  Are they any less British as a result?



What anthem was used before the split? 


I don't know if anthems in football were a thing back then but if so it would have been GSTK surely, as the anthem pre Free State. 

Edited by dangere_here - 15 Nov 2022 at 3:09pm
Back to Top
dangere_here View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan


Joined: 24 Nov 2018
Status: Offline
Points: 73
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Terrence what sort of reception would an EIRE supporter receive in here.  Genuinely curious.




Have actually drank in there a few years back after a day trip up from Dublin, no bother at all and good craic actually. We were in there for 8 or 9 hours as well. They have a few decent framed photos of some of the Ireland v NI matches from the 80s and 90s on the wall and I think a jersey or two. Bus load of Apprentice Boys came in at one point but just lots of good natured sl*gging and plenty of dark humour.

Very well looked after I have to say, but perhaps a different story if we were from the Falls instead of Dublin. Normal working class pub though and the sort of place you'll be fine if you don't go looking for trouble. They even played the Fields of Athenry for us LOL


Edited by dangere_here - 15 Nov 2022 at 2:31pm
Back to Top
Kamil View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira
Avatar

Joined: 30 Mar 2015
Location: Galway
Status: Offline
Points: 19
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kamil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 9:24am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Terrence what sort of reception would an EIRE supporter receive in here.  Genuinely curious.


It was on the Shankill and I'm pretty sure Drogheda fans were drinking there during the Setanta Cup.  

Fake news surely? LOL

Apparently not.  I was at the Linfield v Drogheda final.  I was told a Linfield SC had brought a Drogheda bus up to that club up the Shankill.  I thought somebody on here could confirm.  

Did your Linfield buddies who you sit beside in WP whisper that into your ear? Surely you being a 50/50 fan would be able to check your sources? Ask a few workers in Doha? 


Edited by Kamil - 14 Nov 2022 at 9:27am
Back to Top
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
Born n bred in darndale.

Joined: 03 Feb 2010
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 32492
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 8:43am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

The one on the Shankill Road should be avoided at all costs. Like any other watering hole on the Shankill, to be honest. Like that pub ‘ The Slaughtered Lamb ‘ in ‘ An American Werewolf in London’, they can sniff out the non-locals in seconds.

Indeed.

Just like I wouldn't venture eg into The Felons Club, over in the Falls, or the Hatfield on the Ormeau Road.

Which just goes to show that Belfast has its share of dodgy drinking holes.

Who iknew? Wacko

The last time I was in the Felons it was full of tourists, mostly English.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Back to Top
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
Born n bred in darndale.

Joined: 03 Feb 2010
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 32492
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 8:41am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:


Meet Christopher Atherton, 13, the United Kingdom’s youngest ever senior footballer

But will he enjoy standing to attention for God Save the King?

Something tells me that if it ever comes to pass, he'll be a lot less bothered by it than you are. However* that works.


* - Maybe like eg Ulster Prods aren't bothered by standing for the Soldiers Song - twice - at Ireland rugby matches in the Aviva?  HTH

GSTQ is not your national anthem whilst Amhrán na bhFiann has always been ours, so quite a big difference

What?

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

... the reality is that WP is a cold house for Nationalists - always has been and always will be.

I personally trust the opinion of all those from the CNR - community, players, empolyees, officials and supporters - who do actually go to WP, and in increasing numbers, rather than someone like you who's probably never been in the place in his entire life.

Your supporters clubs is based in the Shankill - the loyalist heartland of South Belfast.
Your anthem is GSTQ or GSTK
WP is usually decked out in Union Jacks.

Hardly an inclusive environment for Nationalists. Quite the opposite from where I am standing.
  
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 358>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd.