You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVenables not giving up on job!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Venables not giving up on job!
    Posted: 10 Feb 2008 at 4:34am

Venables insists he is still in the race for Ireland job

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/venables-insists-he-is-still-in-the-race-for-ireland-job-1286433.html

By Exclusive
Sunday February 10 2008

Terry Venables broke his silence last night and said he was still determined to become Ireland's next manager and attacked those who said he would not be focused on the job.

As the FAI moved closer to a deal with Giovanni Trapattoni, Venables confirmed he has not given up hope of succeeding Steve Staunton.

"I'm still in the race and I still want the job and the FAI know that," Venables said last night from his home in Spain.

He used the opportunity to reiterate his desire to manage Ireland and took on the anti-Venables elements in the media who have suggested he would not be concentrated on the job.

"Anyone who says I would not be fully committed to the job is talking absolute nonsense," he told the Sunday Independent last night.

The FAI insist no decision has yet been made and that Venables remains in the running, but it is likely they will only turn to him in the event that a deal cannot be reached with Trapattoni.

Venables' determination to secure the job has impressed the FAI who feel his willingness to stay in the race would ensure his commitment could not be questioned.

The former England manager returns from Spain today and has told friends that while he has at times become exasperated by the selection process, he remains excited about the challenge.

The three-man panel are expected to meet Trapattoni tomorrow and, as was the case seven days ago before they failed to make contact, they will simply establish the Italian's desire for the job and his willingness to take it from the end of the season.

Once they know that and a contract, probably for two years, is agreed, his name will be presented to the board of management later this week, probably on Wednesday.

Trapattoni's wage demands are likely to be the only stumbling block as he is expected to look for more than twice the money the FAI were prepared to pay, but there were suggestions last night that the association would not baulk at a €2m-a-year salary. Once his backroom staff are included, the FAI are likely to be paying at least €3m a year.

If a deal cannot be reached with Trapattoni, Venables' financial package will be reasonably straightforward and he would be expected to look for a friendly in March so he could begin the work of preparing the team for September's World Cup qualifiers.

Sponsored Links

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2008 at 5:43am

I see poor old Dion is now beginning to grasp at straws does this mean that he now knows the game is up and his ''idol'' El Tel won't be getting the job.  t**ser

I also see El Tel  apparently wants Brady on board but I'd say he's probably been thrown in at the last minute by Tel to try and get the job.Disapprove

On another note I see Curtis in the Sunday World doesn't appear to be in the Venables camp any more and is now firmly in the Trappa camp.
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic