You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top Turkish Team To Take On Drogs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top Turkish Team To Take On Drogs
    Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 11:29am
http://www.droghedaunited.ie/news/2012/october/news_004.php

The Board of Drogheda United is delighted to announce that one of the 'Top 4' Turkish Super Lig teams, Trabzonspor, has confirmed that it will travel to Drogheda next March to take part in a friendly game against Drogheda United.

The relationship between these two clubs extends back a number of years and stems from the shared colours of claret and blue and the fact that the Drogs crest features the star and crescent which is also depicted on the Turkish national flag. This sporting relationship is not the only link between Drogheda and Turkey. The County Louth city has a history with Turkey that extends back to the Irish Famine when the Turkish Emperor sent aid to Ireland on ships that arrived into Drogheda.

Drogheda United Chairman Jim Agnew was in buoyant mood having received a phone call from the Turkish Ambassador to Ireland, Mr. Cengizer. “We have been in contact with Trabzonspor for some time in relation to a friendly between our two teams”, said Jim “and Mr. Cengizer has been a fantastic help in communicating our wishes to Turkey and in trying to achieve this outcome. We are extremely grateful to him for his assistance. I know that both sets of fans will be over the moon to finally see our efforts come to fruition. Of course this also further strengthens the bonds between Drogheda and Turkey in general”.

Trabzonspor is one of Turkey’s 'Top 4' Super Lig teams alongside Galatasaray, Fenerbahce and Besiktas, and is the only non-Istanbul based team to have ever won the Super Lig. Its support base is known to be one of the most fanatical in Turkey and numbers an extraordinary 12 million people drawn from the Trabzon province of Turkey with many living throughout Europe, in particular in Germany and the UK.

The question on everyone’s lips today is just how many of these 12 million will be making the journey to Ireland in March!

Further details will be announced in due course.

"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
Sponsored Links

roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 11:34am
If you market this right, especially in London, no reason why you can't get a couple of hundred of them over.
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 11:44am
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

If you market this right, especially in London, no reason why you can't get a couple of hundred of them over.

We actually have 8 Trabzonspor supporters from Germany over for tonights match!

Tbh I’m sorry we didn’t play it in Germany!

They have played friendlies in Germany in the past and got great numbers at it!

1 of their supporters from Frankfurt was over here over a year ago and he was saying if we could arrange a friendly to get it arranged in Germany if we could to get the maximum numbers at it!

I am sure it will be well known in the Turkish community as trabzonspor supporters are always on the clubs facebook page posting and putting up photos of drogs scarves,flags,etc at trabzonspor matches – so I would guess they will have it up on all their forums around the world,etc!

Just a matter on if they will travel for it! Hopefully they will!

"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
greg View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 12:31pm
They are pretty hardcore lads and lots of them are based in London . Trabzon is a huge area and they have a massive fanbase .
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 1:42pm
Stopped by a good few of them in Berlin walking down the street cause I was wearing me drogs hat. Eventually had to give it one of them who followed are results every week and knew the team better than myself.
Chips don't bounce
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Stopped by a good few of them in Berlin walking down the street cause I was wearing me drogs hat. Eventually had to give it one of them who followed our results every week and knew the team better than myself.
Chips don't bounce
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Stopped by a good few of them in Berlin walking down the street cause I was wearing me drogs hat. Eventually had to give it one of them who followed are results every week and knew the team better than myself.

Haha, nice story drog addict!

Seen as they’re already knocked out of Europe, will be interesting to see how many make the trip over!!
TBWRA View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBWRA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 2:47pm

Is this on TV ??

"The Football Grounds of Europe" about Dalymount that :- "You walk down lanes you'd expect to find a backstreet mechanic only to stumble onto a national stadium steeped in tradition and history"
DG80 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DG80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 6:33pm
stopped off in istanbul before going to astana and a few local wanted to know about the league and, in particular, drogs
cup champions
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 8:16pm
drogs and turks, a match made in heaven

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 10:58pm
Great friendly but you will need to confirm the exact date asap and allow those in Germany to get visas.  Turkey bring huge crowds to games on the european mainland but much more awkward to get a visa to come here.
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 10:53am
Originally posted by DG80 DG80 wrote:

stopped off in istanbul before going to astana and a few local wanted to know about the league and, in particular, drogs

Drogheda United have been in many turkish papers and on turkish tv a bit over the last couple of years over this link!

Was told lastnight that some turkish tv channel was looking at showing this match live too!

gspain, you're right about the visas! 2 trabzonspor supporters from germany couldn't make the match lastnight despite flights booked because of visa problems!
Dukla View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dukla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 4:25pm
Very good friendly to get, I know Drogs have had a good partnership with Trabzonspor for a while now. Even though it's just a friendly would still expect them to bring a good crowd.
Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 12:14am
Not really into the whole sister club thing, but its great exposure for us, and can only be  a good thing. I would love to see us sell some merchadise in their club shop, like St.Pauli and Celtic do in their respective superstores, also some players on loan  would be the balls.
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 12:50pm
the German FA banned friendlies with Turkish teams this summer (because of fireworks) so I think you would be unlikely to get permission to stage the game there.

www.dieblaue24.com/2012/07/04/galatasaray-hit-abgesagt-1860-muss-sich-neuen-testgegner-suchen/

mesheridan View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mesheridan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 1:29am
Well done to Drogs a good friendly
but "the County Louth City" - getting a bit ahead of themselves?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic