You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top memories supporting the Boys in Green

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top memories supporting the Boys in Green
    Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 10:18am
We've had best headers and best penalties so might as well get a few more. Plenty of time on ye're hands so plenty of time to think about it.

1 - Best memory supporting the Boys in Green

2 - Favourite match
3 - Favourite player pre 2000, post 2000 (for the older lads)
4 - Best goal/Favourite goal
5 - Best individual display in a match
6 - Match with best atmosphere
7 - Most impressive team performance (Home and Away)
8 - Favourite away ground
9-  Most disappointing memory ( you can rank them)
10 - Worst refereeing decision against us

If more than 1 in a category then list 1,2,3 in order of preference.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Sponsored Links

craiglen View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craiglen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 10:34am
1 - Best memory supporting the Boys in Green:
Tie between:
-John O'Shea in Gelsenkirchen, being off the ground for about half an hour in the away end with a cigar and f**king my hostel key away knowing I wouldn't be going back, and the open bar in Fritzpatricks afterwards.
-Robbie Brady in Lille, the sheer energy spent that night and booking a train to Lyon with shaking hands at 3 in the morning.
-Running the length of a waterlogged pitch and scoring from the edge of the box on against a load of seven foot Serbians. Game finished 3-3. Getting a lift back into Belgrade then, nearly getting killed in the back of a Yugo with 6 lads in it, driven by a Serbian with an open can, lit smoke and gearstick in his right hand, steering wheel and a nokia (not handfree) in his left...
2 - Favourite match: Bosnia, and Robbie Brady emerging from thick fog on the back of a white horse.
3 - Favourite player pre 2000, post 2000 (for the older lads): Paul McGrath, Robbie Keane.
4 - Best goal/Favourite goal: Shane Long v Germany
5 - Best individual display in a match: Stephen Ward v Germany. Had played f**k all that season up to that point. Great example of a player hitting a level of performance for Ireland far higher than for any club.
6 - Match with best atmosphere: Tie between Lille and Poland away in 2015
7 - Most impressive team performance (Home and Away): Home, Germany; Away, Germany. Same campaign.
8 - Favourite away ground: Atmosphere wise, National Stadium in Warsaw is the best designed modern stadium I've been in. Bilino Polje in Zenica for sheer scaldiness.
9-  Most disappointing memory ( you can rank them): Henry and the Denmarl collapse
10 - Worst refereeing decision against us: Henry

Edited by craiglen - 03 Apr 2020 at 10:41am
Fan's game record: 5 Caps, 1 goal, 2 assists, 140 km covered
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 2:34pm
1 - Stood behind the goal where David O'Leary scored the penalty in Genoa . Nothing in football has ever before or since could close to that moment .
2 - Favourite match
3 - Robbie Keane
4 - Robbie Brady in lille
5 -
6 -
8 - Wembley
9-  6-1 home defeat to Germany
10 - t**ser henry
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 3:37pm
1 - Best memory supporting the Boys in Green.  Brady's goal in Lille
2 - Favourite match    Lille
3 - Favourite player pre 2000, post 2000 (for the older lads) McGrath/Robbie Keane
4 - Best goal/Favourite goal  We really don't score that many great goals. Well when I've been in attendance anyway. Remember Gibson scoring a cracker in a friendly against Wales/Brady's closely followed by MC Clean in Cardiff and Vienna
5 - Best individual display in a match Roy Keane v Holland
6 - Match with best atmosphere. Last ten minutes v Spain in Gdansk
7 - Most impressive team performance (Home and Away) Germany home/Estonia away or distress half against France in Lyon
8 - Favourite away ground the now gone Nepstadion, a good Auld Communist bowl. Stadium in Torshavn was a good little stadium for what it was. Bordeaux was my favourite of the euro stadiums
9-  Most disappointing memory ( you can rank them) world cup qualifiers 18. Both the Denmark and Georgia matches. The last second Austria equiliser. Was also very disillusioned after drawing at home to Slovakia in 2011
10 - Worst refereeing decision against us.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

1 - Stood behind the goal where David O'Leary scored the penalty in Genoa . Nothing in football has ever before or since could close to that moment .
2 - Favourite match
3 - Robbie Keane
4 - Robbie Brady in lille
5 -
6 -
8 - Wembley
9-  6-1 home defeat to Germany
10 - t**ser henry

Jesus Murph you mad a dogs dinner of that.   
AKA pedantic kunt
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 3:43pm
LOL
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 4:00pm
1 - Best memory supporting the Boys in Green :when the final whistle went in Italy game, pure joy of turning to my dad and hugging him both with tears in our eyes.
2 - Favourite match : hard not to pick not the above against Italians but from a entirely entertaining pov the game against Portugal at home in 2001 just a great game of football and we matched a very strong Portugal team.
3 - Favourite player pre 2000, post 2000 (for the older lads) pre 2000- Always loved Niall Quinn, post Kevin Doyle just because he always comes across a nice guy + scored some crackers as well as vital goals.
4 - Best goal/Favourite goal: Roy Keane away to Cyprus lovely skill from arguably our best player ever
5 - Best individual display in a match: a few have gone down in legend alright, Dunne was Russia, Keane against the Dutch but none come close to McGrath vs Italy in 94
6 - Match with best atmosphere: The Bosnia home playoff or beating Germany probably the best i've seen in new stadium when we we beat the Dutch in 2001 during the landsdowne days
7 - Most impressive team performance (Home and Away)probably that Dutch game in 2001 down to 10 men we weren't the better team that day but every player dug deep. Away I'd probably say Sweden at the Euro 2016 deserved much more from that game.
8 - Favourite away ground : Veltins Arena very impressive, area crap but probably one of the most impressive stadiums i've been too. I liked Moldova's ground too had that real old style feel about it.
9-  Most disappointing memory ( you can rank them) : Loss away to Austria in 2005 was bitter in terms that it was the end for Trap
10 - Worst refereeing decision against us:  Only one winner here, Paul McShane and his lack of clearing the ball to row Z. Any match officiated by Cüneyt Çakır
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 7:01pm
Bored at home so may as well give this a good lash. Just usoing games I was at.

Robbie's equaliser in Ibriaki. Was despondent going into stoppage time as we'd played so well and just couldn't find a way past Khan. Was sat down with my head in my hands behind the goal  thinking we're going home when the throw was taken and Finann got on the ball. Ball comes in and Quinn gets the flick and myself and everyone around me are suddenly up out of our seats. 'Go on, Robbie! Go on, Robbie!" I remember screaming as he chests it down and everything seems to go into slow motion. Bang. He pulls the trigger and we see the net ripple and suddenly everyhting speeds up and the end errupts into absolute pandemonium. Still the greatest mental I've ever been involved in, just absolute mayhem, I must have gone down a good five or six rows, limbs everywhere. By the time we managed to settle the game had already kicked off again and teh scoreboard still showed 1-0 to Germany. For one horrible second we actually questioned had it been disallowed for some reason and then the ref below for full time, our lads raised their arms and we errupted again. Have goosebumps even typing this. Doubt it'll ever be matched unless we win something.

2 - Favourite match - See above. Spain would have topped it had we won the shoot-out. Italy in Giants stadium comes close.

3 - Favourite player pre 2000, post 2000 (for the older lads) - Paul McGrath / Robbie Keane 

4 - Best goal - McAteer v Holland at Lansdowne Road is the one that's remembered but hos goal in the Amsterdam Arena was an absolute peach. Really good passing, two back heels and a sensational finish. Was behind that goal as well nicely chilled after a day of craic in the Dam and just soaked in the celebration around me thinking 'Twp up away to Holland, does it get much better?'. Shame we couldn't hold out but it was a savahe day and immense trip.  

Favourite goal - Cas v England in 1990 - One down at a time when we had the upper hand over them and their fans in the West Upper were giving it loads. Staunton cross, Casa leap, boom! This was the last campaign the terraces were standing for and the whole South Stand just moved as one swilring mass. Proper limbs with no seats to get in the way. And then everyone turns to the West Upper, arms outstretched and starts roaring 'YOU'LL NEVER BEAT THE IRISH!!" as lighters and 50ps rained down. God, I miss those days.

Paul McGrath v Italy in Giants Stadium. Need I say more? 

Roy Keane v Portugal in 2001 was close but I missed that game as I was at a wedding. Contrary to popular belief, that was his best performance of that campaign rather than Holland where he played well but realistically we were poxed to win that day. The Portugal performance was as good a midfield performance as you'd see anyhwere in the world.

Ireland 1 Spain 0 in 1989. People forget that before Gary McKay, the Jack era hadn't really grabbed the public imagination. Belgium and Scotland nearly sold out during the Euro '88 qualifiers but both with boring nial all draws and there were only 18,000 at the Luxembourg game and 26,000 at the final qualifier v Bulgaria even though we were still in with a shot at topping the group. Only 17,000 turned up on a Saturday evening to watch us beat Brazil during that campaign 

Post Euro 88, it was a different story. Tickets became like gold dust. I was getting them through college at the time but couldn't get one for this. Managed to get an all areas pass into the ground through a contact in Dundalk FC. So I went onto the North Terrace we were attacking for the first half and the South for the second. Right from kick off, every man jack in the ground was on top of the Spanish, the atmosphere was as intimidating as I've ever seen it. Everytime a Spanish player went over the touchline to get the ball for a throw, they were getting proper stick. Same with the kepper whenever he was collecting the ball for a goal-kick. It's no wonder the goal came from an error by them. Never seen an Irish crowd rattle the opposition as much as that day and it set the tone for the next few years until the bucket seats came in.

Home - If not that Spain game, then the 5-0 trashing of Turkey in 1990 was as good as it got. AnAldo hat-trick, a rare goal from Dave O'Leary and another from Quinn. To put into context, England only beat the Turks 1-0 in both games with a Denis Wise handball giving them the win in Turkey. We demolished them twice and it's criminal that we let that lead in Poland slip to let Englanfd in the back door. Team was at its peak by the time the tournament came round and I'd jave fancied us to win it.

Honourable mention for the 2-0 against Crotia in 1998 just after they'd finished 3rd at the World Cup.

Have exlcuded tournament performances here - Italy in 1994 would top that list.

Missed the away game in England in '91 as couldn't get a ticket so can't include that. Much as it's a painful memory, Paris in 2009 was an incredible performance all over the pitch and it's criminal that we were done in the manner we were.

Amsterdam Arena.

1. Paris 2009 - Was at the other end of the ground bitoing my nails when that free was hit and breathed a sigh of relief when it was hit thinking it was going out of play. Even I could tell that there was something wrong when Henry managed to keep it in. Immediately, my phone started hopping in my pocket with messages from home screaming handball. Anbsolutely sickening. Just galling that we didn't take our chances and have it done but to be done by blatant cheating still hurts to this day.

2 Suwon 2002 - Having played so well, battled to level it and battered them in Extra Time, I was praying the penalties would be our end. Got a bad feeling when they went down the other end of the ground and the disappointment and we started missing penalty after penalty was gutting. Feel like it must have been the polar opposite of Genoa. 

See Paris 2009.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 7:06pm
Johnny Logan’s rendition of the anthem in 2013.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 8:33pm
1. Stuttgart. 2. Stuttgart. 3. Liam Brady/Robbie Keane 4. Ashley Grimes v Spain/ Robbie Keane v Germany 2002 5. Roy Keane v Portugal 6. against France 1981 7. against England, Wembley 1991. 8.  Celtic Park. 9. WC defeat to Italy in 1990 10. Away games 1977-1981, especially that Portuguese poxbottle.

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 03 Apr 2020 at 8:35pm
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 9:24pm
49 minutesago at 10:18am Quote reddladd Quote  Post Reply Reply

1 - Best memory supporting the Boys in Green Lille

2 - Favourite match Lille
3 - Favourite player pre 2000, post 2000 (for the older lads) Roy Keane
4 - Best goal/Favourite goal Sean St Ledger to put us 2-1 against Italy we n Croke Park.I can still see the whole Place moving must have been 65,000 Irish there unreal 
5 - Best individual display in a match Keane vs the Dutch
6 - Match with best atmosphere Pre the Croatian game in Poznan also the German game once we went in front
7 - Most impressive team performance (Home and Away) Germany and France in the WC playoff
8 - Favourite away ground Wembley 
9-  Most disappointing memory ( you can rank them)The 5-1 in the euros and the sining of the fields of Athenry and we getting beat out the gate.
10 - Worst refereeing decision against us Henry vs France but also John Walters late goal against Austria being ruled out also in 2017
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 9:31pm
started answering while in work earlier but was taking too long to decide each answer that I ran out of time before my next meeting. Too many choices for each question!
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 11:16pm
Much like D69, just sticking to games I was at. 

Robbie equaliser V Germans- see D69's post for excellent description of the madness. 

2 - Favourite match
Same as.

Paul McGrath/Robbie Keane

Best- Kevin Doyle V Slovakia away 2007 (Matt Holland V Cameroon very close) Favourite- see No.1. 

Richard Dunne V the Russians 

Maybe a strange pick here, but also Slovakia away in 2007. Whole Irish crowd behind goal standing on seats for the duration of game, and rarely stopped singing/chanting. Doesn't happen as much these days. 

Home- Bosnia playoff- a team that did the usual battling/making hard work of the campaign and playoff first leg suddenly pulled a performance out of nowhere and controlled a vital home game, while making it look, I won't say easy, but relatively comfortable. We haven't looked comfortable, relatively or otherwise, since, in any competitive game. 

Away- France in 09.  Armenia away in 2010 also close- only team in the group to win there, and ya had to be there to appreciate the stifling heat and how hard the players worked. 

Still Craven Cottage, all the modern stadia are much the same to me. 

1. The cheat in France
2. Denmark home playoff, we all knew it was a tough ask, but the total humiliation was hard to take. Also realising, a full year before the FAI did, that MON and his disastrous 'tactics' were certified as a busted flush, but knowing they would likely stick with him anyway. 
3. Not strictly a game of football, but finding out exactly where fans stood with the FAI at Scotland away. 
Henry, France etc. 
Going to mention a game I wasn't at, but the disgrace that was ref Raul Nazare V Belgium in 1981 shouldn't go unmentioned here. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 11:26pm
My fav memory was buying some hollister polo shirts from justice before send off game for euro 2012. The galway yacht club had their flags floating around too. In the end the polo shirts were too big! Is justice still around these days and the 8 to late in the dail bar crew?
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 1:41am
how is justice getting on actually?
I remember he came out to Tallaght to my local and we had a few pints...the lads didn’t know what to make of him but I always got on great with Justice, hope he is well. 

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 1:42am
Bought 1 or 2 garments off him too LOL
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 2:20am
First ever game i actually attended was friendly v Denmark in 2001. The ould buck brought me up and it was fairly special as i had been a massive Ireland fan for years at that stage 

Robbie's goal v Germany a massive highlight. 

Just the general excitement and build up to 2002. Getting up at daft o'clock to watch matches 

Everyone leaving school at 12pm to go up town to watch the Iran game was fantastic. The school urging lads not to leave. The pubs up town packed. Fabulous memory

2004 onwards attended a load of matches with a few friends as we were old enough to travel up ourselves. Some very fond memories going up and down on the train. 

First away day in Sofia in 2009

2 - Favourite match
Estonia away 2012.

Robbie Keane post 2000. 

Robbie Keane v Holland Amsterdam 2000, best goal we have ever scored. 
Favourite goal Robbie v Germany 

Richard Dunne in Moscow

Bulgaria away 2009. A mad bunch with the Levski and CSKA fans segregated! 
Croatia 2012 pre match was really spine tingling. Incredible when teams were in the tunnel before the match 

France 2010 away
Some brilliant home performances in 2002 campaign 

Loved Tallinn and Zilina. 

Obviously Henry. 
Bawled after Belgium beat us in 1998. 
Some awful ones like Israel 2-2, Croatia away, Macedonia away in the 1998 and 2000 campaigns

France 2010
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 10:47am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

First ever game i actually attended was friendly v Denmark in 2001. The ould buck brought me up and it was fairly special as i had been a massive Ireland fan for years at that stage 

Robbie's goal v Germany a massive highlight. 

Just the general excitement and build up to 2002. Getting up at daft o'clock to watch matches 

Everyone leaving school at 12pm to go up town to watch the Iran game was fantastic. The school urging lads not to leave. The pubs up town packed. Fabulous memory

2004 onwards attended a load of matches with a few friends as we were old enough to travel up ourselves. Some very fond memories going up and down on the train. 

First away day in Sofia in 2009

2 - Favourite match
Estonia away 2012.

Robbie Keane post 2000. 

Robbie Keane v Holland Amsterdam 2000, best goal we have ever scored. 
Favourite goal Robbie v Germany 

Richard Dunne in Moscow

Bulgaria away 2009. A mad bunch with the Levski and CSKA fans segregated! 
Croatia 2012 pre match was really spine tingling. Incredible when teams were in the tunnel before the match 

France 2010 away
Some brilliant home performances in 2002 campaign 

Loved Tallinn and Zilina. 

Obviously Henry. 
Bawled after Belgium beat us in 1998. 
Some awful ones like Israel 2-2, Croatia away, Macedonia away in the 1998 and 2000 campaigns

France 2010

Macedonia away in 99 is still the worst I've ever felt after an Irish game and that was just watching it in a boozer in the city centre as I couldn't make the trip. Just horrendous. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic