You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - TOP 50 IRISH SOCCER PLAYERS OF THE LAST 50 YEARS I
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TOP 50 IRISH SOCCER PLAYERS OF THE LAST 50 YEARS I

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I know ye cant really compare him to any one pkayer but would brady have been a box to box player or play in the hole behind the strikers?

he wasnt box to box, he was a playmaker , great passing , great shot , great crosses , great free kicks

Exactly, there was none of this "playing in the hole" or "holding midfielder" pony in Brady's era.  He had a languid, effortless style, football came easy to him.

The fact that he lasted 7 seasons in Serie A when it was an exceptionally strong League was testament to his ability and he had the cop-on to learn the lingo as well.  He is adored in Italy.

ly-am brady thay all call him LOL 

famous becuase he took a peno for juve  to stop sampdoria winning the league even though he had just signed for them and the italians all figured he would miss it on purpose LOL they love a conspiracy LOL
He joined Sampdoria, but they had just been promoted to Serie A the year he joined, it was Fiorentina who Juve beat to the title, and even though he knew he was leaving Juve because Platini was coming in, I don't think he had signed for Sampdoria at that stage.
I remember in the programme for his testimonial in 1990 he talked about that penalty, he said he went up to take it because he was one of the regular penalty takers. I think Rossi was injured or had been substituted or something otherwise he probably would have taken it. 
Anyway he just slotted it away, didn't think much about it until everyone said to him afterwards that it was a really brave thing to do, if he had missed he would have been slaughtered and the fans would have assumed he'd missed on purpose as revenge for selling him. Didn't even occur to him at the time.

Definitely the best Irish player I've ever seen, and I'd have him at the top of any list of Irish players.
Sponsored Links

Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 5:01pm
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 7:47pm

No offence to Matt Holland, but not top 50 for me. Same goes for Chris Morris.

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 8:06pm
Morris and Carr but no Langan. Flaws all over the shop.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
BoboDub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoboDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 8:08pm
not that i would be a massive fan of either at a personal level, but if they're taking club success into account mcateer and Robinson are hard done by not to be on this list. i also would have had a soft spot for miah dennehy and mickey Walsh, a good bit ahead of a few of these.
passionbeyondreason View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passionbeyondreason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 12:22am
Robbie Keane number 8?he's carried this team for 14 years qaulifying for a world cup and a european championship,has scored more international goals than any other English Scottish or Welsh player, he's by a distant mile number one! Richard Dunne number 22? lots of errors here?
The nation holds it breath..
Shebber View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shebber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 1:00pm

Robbie Keane should definitely be top 5 at the very least. Roy Keane should not be number 1.

top 10 for me:
1.Paul McGrath
2.Liam Brady
3.Robbie Keane
4.Johnny Giles
5.Frank stapleton
6.Niall Quinn
7.Roy Keane
8.Shay Given
9.Kevin Moran
10.Damian Duff
If you have 200 million priests, and 5% of them are paedophiles, that's still only 10 million paedophiles!
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Hoosay Hoosay wrote:

Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I know ye cant really compare him to any one pkayer but would brady have been a box to box player or play in the hole behind the strikers?

he wasnt box to box, he was a playmaker , great passing , great shot , great crosses , great free kicks

Exactly, there was none of this "playing in the hole" or "holding midfielder" pony in Brady's era.  He had a languid, effortless style, football came easy to him.

The fact that he lasted 7 seasons in Serie A when it was an exceptionally strong League was testament to his ability and he had the cop-on to learn the lingo as well.  He is adored in Italy.

ly-am brady thay all call him LOL 

famous becuase he took a peno for juve  to stop sampdoria winning the league even though he had just signed for them and the italians all figured he would miss it on purpose LOL they love a conspiracy LOL
He joined Sampdoria, but they had just been promoted to Serie A the year he joined, it was Fiorentina who Juve beat to the title, and even though he knew he was leaving Juve because Platini was coming in, I don't think he had signed for Sampdoria at that stage.
I remember in the programme for his testimonial in 1990 he talked about that penalty, he said he went up to take it because he was one of the regular penalty takers. I think Rossi was injured or had been substituted or something otherwise he probably would have taken it. 
Anyway he just slotted it away, didn't think much about it until everyone said to him afterwards that it was a really brave thing to do, if he had missed he would have been slaughtered and the fans would have assumed he'd missed on purpose as revenge for selling him. Didn't even occur to him at the time.

Definitely the best Irish player I've ever seen, and I'd have him at the top of any list of Irish players.

ah yeah , a lad told me that story in rome about 10 years ago but i was very very drunk at the time
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic