You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - TOP 50 IRISH SOCCER PLAYERS OF THE LAST 50 YEARS I
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TOP 50 IRISH SOCCER PLAYERS OF THE LAST 50 YEARS I

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Paul McGrath would have been number 1 for me and Giles and Brady just ahead of Roy Keane.

Surprised Andy McEvoy wasn't in the list.  Twice leading goalscorer in the top division in England  and scored a few for Ireland as well.  

I'd probably agree with you there although I've been reevaluating Brady since this morning.

With all due respect to the journos involved, a panel of 4 including a rugby writer and a guy more known for his golf pieces is laughable. You'd need a bigger panel.

It wouldn't surprise me if the like of McEvoy are under the radar of some of those involved.....

It'd make a good podcast debate. ....
Sponsored Links

FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Paul McGrath would have been number 1 for me and Giles and Brady just ahead of Roy Keane.

Surprised Andy McEvoy wasn't in the list.  Twice leading goalscorer in the top division in England  and scored a few for Ireland as well.  

I'd probably agree with you there although I've been reevaluating Brady since this morning.

With all due respect to the journos involved, a panel of 4 including a rugby writer and a guy more known for his golf pieces is laughable. You'd need a bigger panel.

It wouldn't surprise me if the like of McEvoy are under the radar of some of those involved.....

WTF are you serious?   Is it Dave and Liam Kelly?
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Ex Shams and Limerick legend Tony Ward and Liam Kelly.....

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 03 Dec 2012 at 2:48pm
fochie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 2:51pm
14. D O leary Confused 
16, Houghton, surely should have been higher.
21. O shea Shocked
29. Sheedy behind O Shea and DoL.
30.FinnanErmm
44.Matt Holland. Ah heeear leave it ouwwwt. 

Markok View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 2:55pm
I know Staunton was a crap manager but he should at the least be in the top 7. Over 100 caps, captained us at 2002 world cup. Has played in all 3 of our World Cup appearances. Never let us down. 28th? 
Ohhh Kevin Kilbane he used to be Brazilian but he's Irish now
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Markok Markok wrote:

I know Staunton was a crap manager but he should at the least be in the top 7. Over 100 caps, captained us at 2002 world cup. Has played in all 3 of our World Cup appearances. Never let us down. 28th? 

Far superior full back or centre half than JOS... .
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 3:14pm

102 caps, yes, great servant but had an awful lot of stinkers as well, wouldn't be in my top 10 all time greats by any means.

Tony Ward on the panel........WTF.........lists like these are silly enough without getting in the likes of Ward.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 3:17pm
Totally agree on Staunton.  I never really rated him for Ireland, he is a bit like Kilbane in that regard a hero due to the service he gave and the passion he had for his country etc not for his ability. I know that may sound harsh but I think its true. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 3:19pm

Lads is there any chance that you lads could put it together a podcast debate. 

The 3 of you and a few others like Tash Kent and GF have been around long enough to offer a condidered opinion on this.  I think it would make for a great podcast. 
AKA pedantic kunt
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by fochie fochie wrote:

14. D O leary Confused 
16, Houghton, surely should have been higher.
21. O shea Shocked
29. Sheedy behind O Shea and DoL.
30.FinnanErmm
44.Matt Holland. Ah heeear leave it ouwwwt. 

whats the problem with oleary ? whole career at the highest level , won a few medals and was a top player, ok he had a run in with jack but he was top notch , none of our full backs now are as good as him or as chris hughton either.
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 3:33pm

deffo should be higher , the man won a fair few medals in england as well if his domestic performance was more of a criteria than his international performance  
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 3:53pm
O'Shea is a joke alright.
Has to be our worst player with over 50 caps.
tony grealish View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony grealish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 4:17pm

Andy McEvoy is a good shout gspain. On the subject of pre 1980's players, do you think it's a bit f*cked up that (for example) Ray Treacy makes the list when there is no sign of Liam Whelan, Johnny Carey or even Mick Martin? No offence to Ray Treacy but I'd say he'd be surprised himself to find his name on a list of our 50 best ever players.
''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 4:23pm
Dan McDonnell replied to me on Twitter regarding Tony Ward's inclusion on the panel and advised me to have a look at the Video analysis, so I'll try see that later.

Balders, good call for maybe some old farts recollections, I'd go back as far as 1974 for my recollections!

Grealish it's the last 50 years, sadly Liam Whelan died 55 years ago and Carey stopped playing for Ireland in 1953.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by tony grealish tony grealish wrote:

Andy McEvoy is a good shout gspain. On the subject of pre 1980's players, do you think it's a bit f*cked up that (for example) Ray Treacy makes the list when there is no sign of Liam Whelan, Johnny Carey or even Mick Martin? No offence to Ray Treacy but I'd say he'd be surprised himself to find his name on a list of our 50 best ever players.

Big time. I'm sure the lads on the panel know him from various travel arrangements tho!
tony grealish View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony grealish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 4:29pm

Dan McDonnell replied to me on Twitter regarding Tony Ward's inclusion on the panel and advised me to have a look at the Video analysis, so I'll try see that later.

Balders, good call for maybe some old farts recollections, I'd go back as far as 1974 for my recollections!

Grealish it's the last 50 years, sadly Liam Whelan died 55 years ago and Carey stopped playing for Ireland in 1953.

Fair enough FW, I completely ignored the 'last 50 yrs' part of the thread title before posting and just assumed (for no good reason, admittedly) that they were including the 1950's!Embarrassed I still think there are some very dubious calls there in the rankings though.
''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 4:35pm
How the hell is Liam Murray not on that list, farcical
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

How the hell is Liam Murray not on that list, farcical

As I said, it's a flawed process.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic