You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - TOP 50 IRISH SOCCER PLAYERS OF THE LAST 50 YEARS I
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TOP 50 IRISH SOCCER PLAYERS OF THE LAST 50 YEARS I

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 12:05pm
Steve Finnan 11 places ahead of Gary Kelly is an interesting one.

Finnan was a great right back, but the fact he won a champions league with Liverpool must have some bearing on him being so far ahead of Kelly. I reckon Kelly had a greater impact in an Ireland jersey than Finnan. He certainly had a longer international career. And Kelly played in two World Cups, the second of which (if im not mistaken) he was the first choice right back ahead of Finnan.

O'Shea ahead of Dunne can only have been made with club form (or medals mainly) in mind so if anyone has the magazine there can you check what the criteria for selection were so we dont go down a dead end arguing over nothing.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 12:14pm
Finnan was a classier player than Kelly and his cross for mcateer qualified us practically for Japan but you d have to say kelly had a bigger impact with the amount of games he played
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 12:18pm
brady was number one for me , he was the most skilful irish player i ever saw or am likely to see ,  a real one off
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 12:20pm
not that keane or mcgrath werent briliant , they sure were , but brady was more exciting and went off and did it at the top over in italy when italian football ruled the world , now keane was king when englishh football ruled the world so he has a great case too and dont forget that paul mcgrath was picked to represent the english league so that will tell you how good he was
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

The auld boy was always going on about how class Brady was and I was too young to remember him.For him he was the most skillful player. was brady that good? who could you compare him to nowadays for anyone old rnough to have remembered him ?

Brady was a genius, only Giles could touch him ability wise but Brady had a slighly more laid back style.  His left foot was like a wand, he could do anything with it.  Supremely intelligent player.  Was a revalation when he went to Italy and won 2 scudettos with Juventus.  Scored the winner to clinch the second title despite bing told he was about to be sold to make way for Platini as Italain clubs had a 2 foriegner rule in place back then.  Cool as you like.

Although he started his Ireland career well it dipped in the middle of it under Hand, Dunphy used to regulalry slate Brady on tv for not transfering his club form onto the international stage

Funilly enough, although Jack's style didn't really suit Brady he had an indian summer during the Euro 88 campaign which was one of his best campaigns in green.  He'd definitely have played a part in Euro 88 had he not been injured although he had a two match ban after getting sent off in the final qulaifer v Bulgaria for kicking out in retaliation, was a shame as he'd been immense that day.

A real shame he missed Euro 88 though, even to have had him available to close out the game v Holland would have been a help.

There's been some revisionism about how his career finished since and a suggestion that he should have gone to Italia 90.  THat's nonsense, his time was done by then, he's struggled big time that season with injury and had retired from club football before the finals in any case.  He signed off his club career with this goal for West Ham, absolute class.

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 03 Dec 2012 at 12:36pm
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

The auld boy was always going on about how class Brady was and I was too young to remember him.For him he was the most skillful player. was brady that good? who could you compare him to nowadays for anyone old rnough to have remembered him ?

Brady was a genius, only Giles could touch him ability wise but Brady had a slighly more laid back style.  His left foot was like a wand, he could do anything with it.  Supremely intelligent player.  Was a revalation when he went to Italy and won 2 scudettos with Juventus.  Scored the winner to clinch the second title despite bing told he was about to be sold to make way for Platini as Italain clubs had a 2 foriegner rule in place back then.  Cool as you like.

Although he started his Ireland career well it dipped in the middle of it under Hand, Dunphy used to regulalry slate Brady on tv for not transfering his club form onto the international stage

Funilly enough, although Jack's style didn't really suit Brady he had an indian summer during the Euro 88 campaign which was one of his best campaigns in green.  He'd definitely have played a part in Euro 88 had he not been injured although he had a two match ban after getting sent off in the final qulaifer v Bulgaria for kicking out in retaliation, was a shame as he'd been immense that day.

A real shame he missed Euro 88 though, even to have had him available to close out the game v Holland would have been a help.

There's been some revisionism about how his career finished since and a suggestion that he should have gone to Italia 90.  THat's nonsense, his time was done by then, he's struggled big time that season with injury and had retired from club football before the finals in any case.  He signed off his club career with this goal for West Ham, absolute class.

Couldn't have said it better myself 69er...........Brady was absolutely superb, if people reckon Sheedy had a lovely left peg, Brady was different gravy altogether.

Very unfortunate in getting a ban for Euro 88 after getting sent off in our last qualifier, but he got a bad knee injury anyhow which ruled him out altogether and by Italia 90 was clearly on the wane.  Charlton's calling him ashore after 25 minutes against Germany however in a friendly was a dreadful call, he didn't deserve that ignominious walk.   Wouldn't compare him to anyone nowadays, he was just Liam Brady and he was deceptively quicker than he looked, could ghost past players effortlessly.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 12:46pm

Thanks for that. The auld boy went to Ireland games from the late 50s to the mid 80s and found that giles played brady deeper whereas for people that like slating charltons style of play at least jack pushed him further up where he could do damage.Brady said it himself one night how he played his best under jack.your last paragraph on him being injured not going to italia 90 is exactly what the auld fella said.
iMOGUE View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iMOGUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 12:55pm

Can't find the source but Jack Wilshere has been compared to Brady so he must have been a great player.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by iMOGUE iMOGUE wrote:

Can't find the source but Jack Wilshere has been compared to Brady so he must have been a great player.

Wilshere is nowhere near as talented as Brady and I doubt he'll ever get to that level.  Brady was a one off, once in a lifetime type player, he's still reverred as one of Arsenal's finest ever and his image is splashed across the front of the ground along with their other greats.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 1:07pm

Wilshere wouldn't lace Brady's boots. Wilshere's good but Chippy was different class.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 1:13pm

Well said
AKA pedantic kunt
iMOGUE View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iMOGUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Wilshere wouldn't lace Brady's boots. Wilshere's good but Chippy was different class.

IrishMUFC asked who could he be compared with nowadays I was just qouting a source, I wasnt born when Brady was playing so can't comment, although I do rember dunphy laughing off this comparison as well.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 1:19pm
I know ye cant really compare him to any one pkayer but would brady have been a box to box player or play in the hole behind the strikers?

Edited by irishmufc - 03 Dec 2012 at 1:19pm
brianie View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 1:21pm
Remember a time when Stephen McPhail was being touted as the next Liam Brady before it went wrong for him!
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 1:50pm

I know ye cant really compare him to any one pkayer but would brady have been a box to box player or play in the hole behind the strikers?

he wasnt box to box, he was a playmaker , great passing , great shot , great crosses , great free kicks
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

he wasnt box to box, he was a playmaker , great passing , great shot , great crosses , great free kicks

Exactly, there was none of this "playing in the hole" or "holding midfielder" pony in Brady's era.  He had a languid, effortless style, football came easy to him.

The fact that he lasted 7 seasons in Serie A when it was an exceptionally strong League was testament to his ability and he had the cop-on to learn the lingo as well.  He is adored in Italy.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Exactly, there was none of this "playing in the hole" or "holding midfielder" pony in Brady's era.  He had a languid, effortless style, football came easy to him.

The fact that he lasted 7 seasons in Serie A when it was an exceptionally strong League was testament to his ability and he had the cop-on to learn the lingo as well.  He is adored in Italy.

ly-am brady thay all call him LOL 

famous becuase he took a peno for juve  to stop sampdoria winning the league even though he had just signed for them and the italians all figured he would miss it on purpose LOL they love a conspiracy LOL
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 2:19pm
Paul McGrath would have been number 1 for me and Giles and Brady just ahead of Roy Keane.

Surprised Andy McEvoy wasn't in the list.  Twice leading goalscorer in the top division in England  and scored a few for Ireland as well.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic