You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 5 gigs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 9:25am
That NYE Prodigy gig was legendary. 
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 10:07am
Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

Public Enemy, SFX 1995. They'd played the Trinity Ball the time previously they'd played Dublin, so were more than happy to be slumming it in the SFX with actual fans. Ended up on stage with Chuck D and Flava Flav. RIP to the SFX. Saw some great bands there over the years.

Dropkick Murphys, Slattery's, Capel St, March '99. When they used to be good, before the real diddley-eye sh*te. Their first ever Irish gig. 150 people squashed in to a venue allowed to hold 86. Support from US Bombs and a load of the cream of Irish punk at the time. It's up on YouTube somewhere now, had a vhs copy of it too.

Metallica, The Point, 1996. Back when they were just about still good, but by jaysus were they good back in the day. Opened with 'So What' by ANL. Still touring with the stage in the centre of the arena. Do they still do that now?

The Prodigy, New Year Eve 95 and December 96. Words can't do these gigs justice. Probably saw them live 10 or 12 times but these stand out for being so formative for me.

NOFX, The Olympia 2009. Seen them live a good few times, but this was the only time I saw them play The Decline. 

For some reason I have no recollection of the RATM gig in 2010, which is slightly scary.

Metallica had the stage in the middle for the indoor part of the current tour alright
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 10:10am
Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

Public Enemy, SFX 1995. They'd played the Trinity Ball the time previously they'd played Dublin, so were more than happy to be slumming it in the SFX with actual fans. Ended up on stage with Chuck D and Flava Flav. RIP to the SFX. Saw some great bands there over the years.

Dropkick Murphys, Slattery's, Capel St, March '99. When they used to be good, before the real diddley-eye sh*te. Their first ever Irish gig. 150 people squashed in to a venue allowed to hold 86. Support from US Bombs and a load of the cream of Irish punk at the time. It's up on YouTube somewhere now, had a vhs copy of it too.

Metallica, The Point, 1996. Back when they were just about still good, but by jaysus were they good back in the day. Opened with 'So What' by ANL. Still touring with the stage in the centre of the arena. Do they still do that now?

The Prodigy, New Year Eve 95 and December 96. Words can't do these gigs justice. Probably saw them live 10 or 12 times but these stand out for being so formative for me.

NOFX, The Olympia 2009. Seen them live a good few times, but this was the only time I saw them play The Decline. 

For some reason I have no recollection of the RATM gig in 2010, which is slightly scary.

Some serious ones there H2H!

Metallica have continued with the “in the round”, but after The Point was redeveloped the consensus was it wasn’t suitable for the “in the round” model. I actually feel the Marquee in Cork could accommodate it, but either way, Metallica just played outdoor gigs in Ireland. The did play Belfast in the round in 2010. I’ve seen them indoors several times and it is breathtaking.

Interesting fact I recently learned about the 96 gig, which I think was the same night we beat Macedonia 3-0, Metallica were due to play successive nights at the point, but for some reason, the second was cancelled. I have seen an official shirt from the tour which confirmed the initial intent to have two dates.

Edited by Het-field - 23 Jul 2019 at 10:10am
cullenswood View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cullenswood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 10:26am
I remember seeing RATM down in Feile in Tipp in 1994.   Had never heard of them but went out and bought their album when I got home.  
Saw the Prodigy down there too.   Was only getting into dance music at the time, but none of my mates were in it.   It was my first time seeing them, and I remember sitting in the stands and my mates sl*gging off "that sh1te techno stuff" and me sitting back in amazement thinking to myself THEY ARE CLASS!

Next time I saw them was down in Cork ahead of Oasis.
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 2:46pm
Thin Lizzy : RDS : 1980.. year of Leaving Cert, when the traffic lights at the side of the stage went to Orange i lost the classmates I went with. Support by The Lookalikes who we used to go see regularly in the Crofton.

Stiff Little Fingers : Brixton early 90s... always put on a great show.

The Pogues : 1987/8ish  : Brixton i think it might even have been Paddy's Day . The place was mobbed . Met by a load of mounted police when the gig finished. Not a popular time for the Irish in England.

Imelda May : 59:1 (small club in Munich) 2011. They were flying back to play for Obama the next day. The place was rammed. They were great.

Sharon Jones & The Dapkings : 2016 : Muffathalle (I think) in Munich. Her last gig here . She was in recovery at the time from cancer treatment. . She gave it all. From the first time seeing her back in 2007 she was a great show.

Can't believe I omitted such as The Blades, The Undertones, The Clash , Bob Marley (see oldbilly you are not the only auld lad)

Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 2:07am
I was at the Foo Fighters tonight. Absolutely brilliant gig. Definitely a contender for my top 5.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 9:04am
When I saw this thread had a new post this morning I guessed it'd be about the Foos. I was there last night too, definitely top 5. Fantastic setlist and lead singer. Proper Rock 'n Roll. 2.5 hours in the weather seemed almost suited to it.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 11:27am
I am sure that they are excellent live, there music is exceptional bland though. Maybe they have just never grabbed me, but it is all quite vapid.
Hard to dislike Grohl though.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 12:06pm
Prince in London in 2007 as part of his 21 night residency.  Saw the first night.  Amazing.   His gig in Malahide was brilliant as was his gig in rds back in 1992.  

U2 in the RDS in 1993 as part of the Zoo TV tour.  U2 at their peak.  

Rage against The Machine at Feile in 1994.  Didnt know who they were and ray Darcy introduced them. To overcome both issues is some achievement.  

Bjork at same Feile.  Brilliant set and performance at the peak of her powers

Christy Moore in the Temple Bar Music Centre not sure of the year.  

AKA pedantic kunt
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 12:19pm
Foals at EP 09

Nothing compares The Flaming Lips live for me, brilliant every time I've seen them.
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 1:04pm
Not a big fan or anything, but the Foo Fighters were tremendous last night
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I am sure that they are excellent live, there music is exceptional bland though. Maybe they have just never grabbed me, but it is all quite vapid.

*their
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

*their

oooooohhhhhhhh Ouch
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 2:03pm
The opening post got me thinking which would be worse at a gig. 

Paulie in front of you
Aido beside you or

Murph behind you. 
AKA pedantic kunt
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

*their
Thanks.
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

The opening post got me thinking which would be worse at a gig. 

Paulie in front of you
Aido beside you or

Murph behind you. 

It's funny, even at packed gigs like last night, there's always a couple of feet of space behind me.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 3:33pm
Grohl isn't a natural songwriter. He's a very good musician who by necessity taught himself to be a very competent songwriter. He's made a very good job of it in fairness to him, but was never going to get beyond that up to the highest level of creativity.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 3:50pm
jeff buckley 1991 dublin ,
 rolling stones and acdc together 2000 hockenheim , 
rage against the machine and cypress hill ,feile 97 i think 
 iggy pop , holland in about 2007 
 tenacious D hockenheim again 2013
Paul simon graceland tour in Hyde park 
Bruce springsteen in hyde park when paul mccartney came in and they pulled the plug 

honorable mentions would go to about 100 other gigs but these stand out 
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic