Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tony Springett

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 9:54pm
Noss and MacNulty have hinted no such thing, they have said they would be happy to represent Ireland or their countries of birth, which is completely reasonable. You have simply decided to interpret their dual identities as a favouritism for Germany/Spain over Ireland (nothing new there...).
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Noss and MacNulty have hinted no such thing, they have said they would be happy to represent Ireland or their countries of birth, which is completely reasonable. You have simply decided to interpret their dual identities as a favouritism for Germany/Spain over Ireland (nothing new there...).

That's a very optimistic take on what they said, O'Shea! I don't think there's a single person on this forum, other than you, who genuinely believes Noss would choose us over Germany if he was starting every week for Monchengladbach, or Garcia-MacNulty doing same for Spain if he was playing every week for Wolfsburg.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

That's a very optimistic take on what they said, O'Shea! I don't think there's a single person on this forum, other than you, who genuinely believes Noss would choose us over Germany if he was starting every week for Monchengladbach, or Garcia-MacNulty doing same for Spain if he was playing every week for Wolfsburg.

I made no such claim, because unlike you I don't profess to pass off my suspicions about someones intention as fact. Neither of us know Noss or MacNulty's inner thoughts, but you continue to insist that you do, and funnily enough your insistence is always geared toward distrust of foreign born individuals.
We're decent enough..
KingKenny View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingKenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 10:29pm

I made no such claim, because unlike you I don't profess to pass off my suspicions about someones intention as fact. Neither of us know Noss or MacNulty's inner thoughts, but you continue to insist that you do, and funnily enough your insistence is always geared toward distrust of foreign born individuals.

Nope O'Shea you're wrong. Nationality is simple you're either 100% Irish or 0% Irish and just using to further your career. Obviously dual nationality is a myth as it's impossible to feel a connection to more than one thing
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by KingKenny KingKenny wrote:

Nope O'Shea you're wrong. Nationality is simple you're either 100% Irish or 0% Irish and just using to further your career. Obviously dual nationality is a myth as it's impossible to feel a connection to more than one thing

Funnily enough, all the dual-eligible players who were good enough to play for both countries declared for England. The vast majority who wouldn't get near an England squad declare for us. Those who were borderline good enough to play for England underage vacillate between the two nations when it suits (Crowley, Ronan). Just recently you have a lad Taylor Gardner-Hickman playing for us underage who apparently couldn't even tell you what his roots are, going by the fact he later turned out to be ineligible. Doesn't stop the usual lads jumping the gun and starting a thread for this lad (who may or may not be eligible).

There are lads who've played for England (because they were good enough) who are proud of their Irish roots but don't consider themselves Irish. There are lads who've declared for us who don't possess a scintilla of Irishness. 

I think lads are severely overestimating the amount of third generation or second generation English lads with Irish grandparents or one Irish parent walking around who identify as Irish. 

f**k me like. I'm sure the Harry Kanes who visit family in Connemara but don't pretend they're Irish when it suits them are far more common.

I grew up with lads either side of me with English mothers, English cousins, and who visited England every summer. They were Irish and you wouldn't even know of any English links unless their mothers chatted to you or their cousins were over on holiday.

Anyways, the posters who aren't utter headbangers and alt-accounts can read that and make up their own minds what Noss would do if Germany showed interest in him.

And read that and make up their own minds on what Garcia-MacNulty would do if Spain came calling.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 10 May 2022 at 10:50pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 11:05pm

Funnily enough, all the dual-eligible players who were good enough to play for both countries declared for England. The vast majority who wouldn't get near an England squad declare for us. Those who were borderline good enough to play for England underage vacillate between the two nations when it suits (Crowley, Ronan). Just recently you have a lad Taylor Gardner-Hickman playing for us underage who apparently couldn't even tell you what his roots are, going by the fact he later turned out to be ineligible. Doesn't stop the usual lads jumping the gun and starting a thread for this lad (who may or may not be eligible).

There are lads who've played for England (because they were good enough) who are proud of their Irish roots but don't consider themselves Irish. There are lads who've declared for us who don't possess a scintilla of Irishness. 

I think lads are severely overestimating the amount of third generation or second generation English lads with Irish grandparents or one Irish parent walking around who identify as Irish. 

f**k me like. I'm sure the Harry Kanes who visit family in Connemara but don't pretend they're Irish when it suits them are far more common.

I grew up with lads either side of me with English mothers, English cousins, and who visited England every summer. They were Irish and you wouldn't even know of any English links unless their mothers chatted to you or their cousins were over on holiday.

Anyways, the posters who aren't utter headbangers and alt-accounts can read that and make up their own minds what Noss would do if Germany showed interest in him.

And read that and make up their own minds on what Garcia-MacNulty would do if Spain came calling.

Again, simply lying with impunity to push your agenda. Your one man crusade against dual nationals is no less bizarre now than it ever was, and your determination to ringfence Irishness and exclude those who don't meet your stringent criteria is quite disturbing.
We're decent enough..
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 11:09pm
Garcia MacNulty alerted the FAI himself when he was in his mid teens ( he's only 19 now ) that he was eligible and wanted to play for Ireland. His mother is from Clare and brought him over to Ireland every summer when he was growing up. I heard somewhere that his father was Basque or Catalan and was opposed to him playing for Spain. Like Rice or Liam Delap, he may have developed a contrary view of his own but I hope not as I think this lad could become a really top player.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 11:33pm

Again, simply lying with impunity to push your agenda. Your one man crusade against dual nationals is no less bizarre now than it ever was, and your determination to ringfence Irishness and exclude those who don't meet your stringent criteria is quite disturbing.

No, bizarre and disturbing is that deranged private message you sent me. Anyone is welcome to click on the links to the articles I posted and draw their own conclusions. 

"Crusade against dual nationals". LOL

In their own words, Noss and Garcia-MacNulty failed to commit their intl futures to Ireland. How is that a crusade when I'm literally just repeating what they said? 

Grealish made similar soundbites about his long-term intl future when he played for us underage and we know how that went. We're probably safe with these two lads, but only because they, more than likely, won't end up playing at high enough of a level to justify a senior intl call-up. 

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 10 May 2022 at 11:35pm
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 6:47pm
Starting tonight vs Leicester.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

Starting tonight vs Leicester.

Really crazy... gets his first premier league start and has been pretty much unheard of even on this forum.

Clearly highly thought of at Norwich. Could be a trio of Omobamidele, idah and springett playing for Norwich next season.

Josh Giurgi is there too, think hes been named on the bench once or twice this season, hasnt he? If Max Aarons happens to move on in the summer he could come into the picture.
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 4:28pm
This will no doubt ruffle some feathers, but I would think there is a case for Springett to be called up to the senior squad for the Nations League games.  

Get him involved and interested in playing for us early on. 

Norwich clearly rate him and - given they're blooding him now - might see him as a starter next year when they'll aim to be challenging to win the Championship.  

One area in my opinion that Ireland have fallen behind in since Mick's first stint in the 90s is having a spot in the senior squad for a "development player" - a young player with great potential who possibly isn't playing first team yet.  

I remember Mick did it with Richie Dunne, maybe for a qualifier against top-seeds Romania, and always had young, unproven players in the squad, especially at the start of his reign.  Stan did something similar with Terry Dixon - obviously his career didn't work out as lots of injuries. 

We've capped the likes of the Three Joes, Lapira, O'Cearbuill and Gamble in the past - I don't see anything wrong with getting someone with high potential like Springett involved now and maybe give him a few minutes against Ukraine or Scotland.  He already has more PL minutes than Parrott, Bazunu and Knight combined (ok, slightly unfair stat).

Other countries with similar playing pools to ourselves, particularly Wales and NI, would be giving him a senior call-up.

A similar, albeit weaker, case could be made for Conor Noss, who has been on the bench for Borussia Moenchengladbach for a whole series of important Bundesliga games (and at least to my eyes looked handy for us in the few U21 games he played).  

Smallbone same, same.  [So long as no clash with important U21 qualifiers - haven't checked].

Whilst we want to do well in the Nations League, this is by definition a transition period (between WC and European qualifiers) and the NL is really just slightly more-serious friendlies.  Other countries have used this time very well to incorporate new players. 

Also, put it this way, and I haven't even seen Springett play yet, but at this moment in time, even at that he can't be a worse option than Connolly or Horgan!

Mad, Ted.

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 13 May 2022 at 4:42pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 4:53pm
We shouldn't feel the need to fast-track dual-eligible players into the first team on the basis of playing one PL game just to tie them down and prevent them from being eligible for anyone else.

Dixon, O'Cearuill, Lapira and Gamble are proof of how absurd a thought process stuff like that is.

People keep bringing Wales up. Completely different situation. Yes they have one or two very good players (Davies, Ramsey) and another generational one (Bale) but, apart from that, they have very little strength in depth even compared to us.

How would you even decide who gets these token squad places? I mean there have been similar cases made for Liam Kelly, Daniel Crowley and Jack Taylor (currently linked with the mighty Ipswich) in the past. I'm sure there was for lads like Michael Harriman and Reece Grego-Cox when they got fleeting game time in the PL.

And how would lads like Jack Byrne and Daniel Mandroiu feel about it? 

And what of those already on the periphery of the squad, like Mark Sykes, who's on the verge of a move to Bristol City in the Championship after a great campaign? Do we push him to the back of the queue now because one lad has made one start for an already relegated team?

The Under-21 team is the right place for boys like Smallbone and Springett. There is no mad rush to cap them. They're way off being good enough for England and, if they're committed, they don't need to be bribed into playing for us in the long-term.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 13 May 2022 at 5:05pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Norwich clearly rate him and - given they're blooding him now - might see him as a starter next year when they'll aim to be challenging to win the Championship.

Or they're just giving him time in meaningless games to judge where he is when it comes to senior football. Has Sargent, Rashica, Dowell, and Rowe who was called up from the 23s when Smith came in ahead of him. You've also got Cantwell possibly coming back and another couple of wide players in the squad. Probably more chance of him getting a loan than being a starter for Norwich.

Edited by J89 - 13 May 2022 at 5:02pm
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 5:06pm
Some good points, but overall inaccurate in relation to Wales.  Yes, they have those very good players and generational players that you say. 

However, Wales' strength in depth has been massively improved by capping English-born players as teenagers.  

[Edited aside: Funnily enough, Wales have weirdly often had very good or "generational" players, such as Ryan Giggs, Ian Rush, or even Mark Hughes and Dean Saunders (a UK transfer record player in his day if I remember correctly), but the team was always let down by having too many league 1 level players in it.  So your Ryan Giggs players couldn't make much of a difference.  Now the Gareth Bales and Ramsey's are playing with low-level PL and top-half Championship players instead - and so the deep does not suffer from the lack of strength in depth]

A few examples in recent squads of English born teenagers capped at senior level by Wales who have added to their team and strength in depth, many of whom would start for us and all would be in our squads:

- Daniel James, formerly of Man U, now Leeds, loads of PL appearances

- Ethan Ampadu, who shockingly we missed out on despite his Dad playing for us - lots of PL appearances for someone his age.  Proved, ironically in games against our lads, that he is better than many of our players! 

- Chris Mepham - Bournemouth player, PL experience and back in PL again now (was 21 not a teenager when called up, but same point).

- Matondo - Bundesliga and Champions League football with Schalke, now with Cercle Brugge 

- Ben Woodburn - had a few years of very good form before falling off, but still a regular for Hearts and great potential - still on Liverpool's books who must rate him

- David Brooks - cracking player linked with Champions League clubs not so long ago before sadly falling ill. 

- Tyler Roberts - 100 games for Leeds, about half of them in the PL.

- Matthew Smith - an outstanding young player who didn't make it at Man City, but spent time in the Erdivisie and Championship.  Now rebuilding at MK Dons.

That's off the top of my head a list of English-born lads capped for Wales as teenagers who have improved their team and strength and depth and most would get into our 11 or at least squad, thus improving strength in depth. 

I think this illustrates there is a lot to be gained from getting lads like this involved at a senior level early enough. 

I'd love to see Kenny use the NL windows as an opportunity to do so.

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 13 May 2022 at 5:40pm
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 5:20pm

We shouldn't feel the need to fast-track dual-eligible players into the first team on the basis of playing one PL game just to tie them down and prevent them from being eligible for anyone else.

Dixon, O'Cearuill, Lapira and Gamble are proof of how absurd a thought process stuff like that is.

People keep bringing Wales up. Completely different situation. Yes they have one or two very good players (Davies, Ramsey) and another generational one (Bale) but, apart from that, they have very little strength in depth even compared to us.

How would you even decide who gets these token squad places? I mean there have been similar cases made for Liam Kelly, Daniel Crowley and Jack Taylor (currently linked with the mighty Ipswich) in the past. I'm sure there was for lads like Michael Harriman and Reece Grego-Cox when they got fleeting game time in the PL.

And how would lads like Jack Byrne and Daniel Mandroiu feel about it? 

And what of those already on the periphery of the squad, like Mark Sykes, who's on the verge of a move to Bristol City in the Championship after a great campaign? Do we push him to the back of the queue now because one lad has made one start for an already relegated team?

The Under-21 team is the right place for boys like Smallbone and Springett. There is no mad rush to cap them. They're way off being good enough for England and, if they're committed, they don't need to be bribed into playing for us in the long-term.

Jesus the only other nation he was eligible for was the people's Republic of Cork.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 5:27pm
I actually don't mind the development player idea, but I'm not sure I'd be giving the spot to Springett. I'd probably go with someone who is a better bet to make the seniors longer term, like Festy Ebosele or Tayo Adaramola. Both seem to be surplus to requirements for the Under 21s at present, so why not bring them in and give them the experience. They'd hopefully both jump at the chance.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 5:36pm
Not a bad idea.  Both Festy and Adaramola at this point would seem to have high ceilings. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 5:53pm
I think he's definitely good enough for the under 21's and should be in the next squad for them. I was quite impressed with his couple of appearances for Norwich so far, seems well balanced and comfortable on the ball (not the sort of player we have many of). I think throwing him straight in with the seniors would be jumping the gun though, there are plenty of other uncapped players ahead of him in the queue.
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic