You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Time for some Leadership from this forum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time for some Leadership from this forum
    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 1:49pm
I am basing this thread on the premise that the vast majority of us who post on here have a well above average knowledge of the national team and a passion for the international game (cue the smart comments!!).

Many of the posts on here since Thursday has been unpredictably shocking and reactionary. Was expecting some but not to this level. 

I was absolutely delighted when Mick got the job two years ago. I was disappointed when SK was lined up to take over from him. I am not a league of Ireland fan and find that those who drawl on about it extremely irritating. 

However, I am now 100 per cent behind SK and happy to give him at least a year to get to the point that we are good to watch and competitive. Since Sunday I am even more behind him and can see what he is attempting to do. 

While being critical, debate and dissecting the game are important parts of this forum, it is time that we showed a bit of leadership and don't support those who either have little knowledge of the game or those who are looking for cheap publicity and are harbouring grudges of some kind (eg Noel King).

Have we not seen enough of the puke football of 30% possession over the past number of years to not want to be patient and take a different approach?

While I think SK has made mistakes already, we need to give him an opportunity and space to learn from those. No matter what happens in Slovakia. We are likely to get even worse but we get better. 

Let's support our manager and the team. 

Sponsored Links

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 1:54pm
ClapClapClapClap

Right with you on this. 

We have been subjected to truly awful displays of route one football and letting the opposition have it but to contain them for the guts of 10 years.

It has been horrendous. I am perfectly happy with us getting beat a few times (including v slovakia as the whole euros qualification is a f**king joke) in order to progress into a more attractive footballing nation and allowing players to do what they do, play. 

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 2:03pm
I was shocked by how critical posters were about Kennys reign as senior ireland manager after just 190 mins of football played! (Inc time added on)

Its most definitely not like we were playing good football and now we're not. 

Its more we've been poor for years and we're still poor but hopefully will see improvement with a new style of play.

Edited by Left foot - 09 Sep 2020 at 2:04pm
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 2:42pm
It's todays' football fan really ( yes i do fall into that also at times ) as nobody is not prepared to wait and want results from the off .
I still think quite a few put Kenny on the alter while others just waited to pull the trigger as soon as the last two games finished , hummm even after the first game .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 3:11pm
It is not a crime to think that SK was not the best possible managerial appointment. Ultimately, results dictate everything. Hope he proves to be most successful Irish manager ever. In the meantime people are entitled to their own opinion, no need to try to shut people down by the use of personal insults. Nobody has a monopoly on truth, or football wisdom for that matter.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 3:50pm
As I've said before Charlton took a few games to implement his system it wasn't until he got a chance to work on it properly it the Iceland Triangular tournament that it started to gel.

Mick McCarthy didn't win a game until his 8th game in charge.

I agree with Claret it seems to be the case nowadays that it needs to success now not build for success.

You don't just build a house you have to lay the foundations first 
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 4:19pm
Oul Eamo has his legacy..
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

You don't just build a house you have to lay the foundations first 

Always refreshing when the great JD is quoted around these parts Big smile
Americanisms View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Americanisms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

It is not a crime to think that SK was not the best possible managerial appointment. Ultimately, results dictate everything. Hope he proves to be most successful Irish manager ever. In the meantime people are entitled to their own opinion, no need to try to shut people down by the use of personal insults. Nobody has a monopoly on truth, or football wisdom for that matter.

Agree with this.

I want Kenny to get time, but if someone has a different opinion, that's fine as long as they don't get go about Kenny's personal life like a Joe Brolly.
Dr. Pat View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

I am basing this thread on the premise that the vast majority of us who post on here have a well above average knowledge of the national team and a passion for the international game (cue the smart comments!!).

Many of the posts on here since Thursday has been unpredictably shocking and reactionary. Was expecting some but not to this level. 

I was absolutely delighted when Mick got the job two years ago. I was disappointed when SK was lined up to take over from him. I am not a league of Ireland fan and find that those who drawl on about it extremely irritating. 

However, I am now 100 per cent behind SK and happy to give him at least a year to get to the point that we are good to watch and competitive. Since Sunday I am even more behind him and can see what he is attempting to do. 

While being critical, debate and dissecting the game are important parts of this forum, it is time that we showed a bit of leadership and don't support those who either have little knowledge of the game or those who are looking for cheap publicity and are harbouring grudges of some kind (eg Noel King).

Have we not seen enough of the puke football of 30% possession over the past number of years to not want to be patient and take a different approach?

While I think SK has made mistakes already, we need to give him an opportunity and space to learn from those. No matter what happens in Slovakia. We are likely to get even worse but we get better. 

Let's support our manager and the team. 

Fairplay for this. I've never been more disappointed with this forum than I have been in the last week. Unbelievable, short term, reactionary nonsense from some. Some people would prefer to watch the same utter sh*t we've been subjected to over the last 10 (30?) years than support an attempt at a cultural shift. It's been embarrassing.
Geremi has let Kilbane in here, cross comes out to Holland, 1:1!!
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 7:23pm
Completely agree with the sentiment but really is their need for another thread?
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 8:32pm
Mad the way some people get so angry at people voicing entirely reasonable opinions

It's a discussion forum, not an audition to be a cheerleader

Edited by sid waddell - 09 Sep 2020 at 8:33pm
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 8:38pm

Where are the personal insults 
AKA pedantic kunt
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Where are the personal insults 

Sometimes best just say nothing at times take a day away from here and the WUM move on .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Mad the way some people get so angry at people voicing entirely reasonable opinions

It's a discussion forum, not an audition to be a cheerleader

Agree

What’s the new “leader” going to do that the forum requires
Knock on any posters door (send a PM) giving them a good telling off if they criticise the managers tactics?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 9:10pm
I propose the forum be run as an anarcho-syndicalist commune where we take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week, with all decisions of that officer having to be ratified at a bi-weekly meeting; just by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs and by two-thirds majority in the case of other  matters.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I propose the forum be run as an anarcho-syndicalist commune where we take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week, with all decisions of that officer having to be ratified at a bi-weekly meeting; just by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs and by two-thirds majority in the case of other  matters.
Like a GAA committee meeting, lovely
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Completely agree with the sentiment but really is their need for another thread?

I know where you are coming from but I believe there is. The other threads have become quite difficult to read and I do think we need to get the simple message out there that the majority of us are behind SK and plan to give him the space to make changes, experiment and make some mistakes but eventually having the team playing better football. 

I really appreciate the positive reaction and support so far on this. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic