Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 127128129130131 369>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

Thanks for that article from the Newcastle fan, a good read.

I think we'll probably finish second and if so will make the play-offs.

Like Terri, I'd rather we didn't play you. The main reason being the real possibility of serious public disorder. To Muff: normal conditions for football fans don't apply to NI v RoI games

Personally I'd fancy Switzerland, haven't played them competitively since the 60s. Montenegro would be interesting- Battle of the Black Mountaineers?

I don't really think that would be as much an issue as it may have been previously. Generally the fans looking for trouble will find it and the ones not looking for it won't.

That aside, if it's a choice between us and Spain/Italy/France etc etc would you really want to lessen your team's chances of success just because you wanted to avoid us. Your wish to avoid us even at the cost of a potentially more difficult tie seems to overshadow your own support for your team. You're putting your own preference first over what's best for your team. I'm sure Michael O'Neill would disagree on that.

Don't get me wrong I would rather we didn't play N.I. again if truth be told.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 11:31am
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I would absolutely love for ROI to meet NI in the play offs.

It would be a touch game for both and I'd dread to be on the losing side, the stick would be unreal!

To me it would even worse than losing to England 

It'd be far worse than losing to England due to the adjusted expectations alone.

Imagine the advertisement for the game that tie would be. The football coming out of the pitch even more toxic than the atmosphere in the stands

I think had this discussion before on here about it being based on expectations. If for example England seriously declined over the next few years and N.I. became a much stronger then them and us then it would still be worse for me if we lost to N.I. IMO.

For me it's worse for United to lose to Liverpool over any other team no matter how poor or good both teams are. Same goes for N.I.

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 12:11pm

So basically you'd rather lessen the chances of N.I. qualifying if it means not playing us under any circumstances. Embarrassed

Any normal supporter would take the option of the easier team rather than one of the traditional European giants in a playoff, if it improved their chances of getting to the world cup.

Bigger picture and all that.

A lot of people have worked very hard to transform the whole supporting NI bit ("Football For All" etc), with considerable success.

Yet we all know that an ROI/NI game would inevitably bring out the meatheads on both sides, including many who ordinarily have no interest in international football, and it's liable to get very ugly.

And when the story comes to be told, it will ALL be reported as our "fault", and our reputation and progress will have been set back another decade or two.

So it's precisely because I'm a "normal supporter" that I'd rather avoid all that sh*t and watch the Finals on telly.

Besides, there'll be other World Cups to qualify for....
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

If you smell sh*t first it's usually because you are sitting on the toilet.
Congratulations, that's a very constructive, informed and original comment, which greatly adds to the thread.

Is that how you got to be a Moderator?
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 1:24pm
If we do end up in play-offs, I want us to have the best chance of qualifying by being drawn against a team we can beat and by that reasoning I'll take playing NI seven days a week.
The knuckle draggers will have their days out, but so be it.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 1:46pm
Just incase anybody is in any doubt about the pub team and it's football for all nonsense. One of my nephews has basically being forced out of a premier leagues youth team due to being the only Fenian in the Team. The laughable part being the main agitator is the youth team coach's son. Folk still wonder why some of us enjoy seeing them bate off the park
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by armahibee armahibee wrote:

Just incase anybody is in any doubt about the pub team and it's football for all nonsense. One of my nephews has basically being forced out of a premier leagues youth team due to being the only Fenian in the Team. The laughable part being the main agitator is the youth team coach's son. Folk still wonder why some of us enjoy seeing them bate off the park

A recently relegated team by any chance ?
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 1:50pm
How did Liam Boyce do on his competitive debut?
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Yep, club has previous with this too. Lads starting up with lurgan Celtic next week.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 2:19pm

Yep, club has previous with this too. Lads starting up with lurgan Celtic next week.

I assumed it was Portadown and I was right. That doesn't surprise me. Does he live in the area?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 2:26pm
I remember asking Martin Russell about his stint with Portadown and he said that it was great. He had no major issues and he played there through the early and mid 90's. 
El Puto Amo
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 2:29pm

Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

Thanks for that article from the Newcastle fan, a good read.

I think we'll probably finish second and if so will make the play-offs.

Like Terri, I'd rather we didn't play you. The main reason being the real possibility of serious public disorder. To Muff: normal conditions for football fans don't apply to NI v RoI games

Personally I'd fancy Switzerland, haven't played them competitively since the 60s. Montenegro would be interesting- Battle of the Black Mountaineers?

I don't really think that would be as much an issue as it may have been previously. Generally the fans looking for trouble will find it and the ones not looking for it won't.

That aside, if it's a choice between us and Spain/Italy/France etc etc would you really want to lessen your team's chances of success just because you wanted to avoid us. Your wish to avoid us even at the cost of a potentially more difficult tie seems to overshadow your own support for your team. You're putting your own preference first over what's best for your team. I'm sure Michael O'Neill would disagree on that.

Don't get me wrong I would rather we didn't play N.I. again if truth be told.
Sure you wouldn't know who to support.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 2:43pm

I assumed it was Portadown and I was right. That doesn't surprise me. Does he live in the area?
The Jameson Clan still involved with Ports? Went to College with one of their ilk
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 3:28pm

I've been to Portadown home games many times without ever seeing anything untoward.  It is normally easy enough to tell there are players from both communities in the squad.

Indeed look at the current first team squad and there is at least Sean, Brendan, Ciaran, Padraig and  Eoin who are all likely to be from a Catholic background not to mind Ken Oman. 

Also on many visits to United Park in Drogheda you see a joint Drogheda/Portadown flag.  I believe the fans regularly go to each others games since they met in the Setanta Cup.  
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 3:48pm

Originally posted by OtOR OtOR wrote:

[in a NI-RoI game]The football coming out of the pitch even more toxic than the atmosphere in the stands

Any such competitive game in the next year would be because we've both reached the play-offs, or better. Likely knocking out the likes of Wales, Czechia, Austria and Norway. Is their football worse than toxic?

Originally posted by IrishMUFC IrishMUFC wrote:

would you really want to lessen your team's chances of success just because you wanted to avoid us. Your wish to avoid us even at the cost of a potentially more difficult tie seems to overshadow your own support for your team. You're putting your own preference first over what's best for your team. I'm sure Michael O'Neill would disagree on that

Admittedly I don't think we'll qualify and am relaxed about since we made it to the Euros. That affects my attitude to the play-offs. Great if we get there and win, but I rate public order as more important than a notional football game. Unless you know MON personally I doubt you have any idea what he thinks on the issue.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

So basically you'd rather lessen the chances of N.I. qualifying if it means not playing us under any circumstances. Embarrassed

Any normal supporter would take the option of the easier team rather than one of the traditional European giants in a playoff, if it improved their chances of getting to the world cup.

Bigger picture and all that.

A lot of people have worked very hard to transform the whole supporting NI bit ("Football For All" etc), with considerable success.

Yet we all know that an ROI/NI game would inevitably bring out the meatheads on both sides, including many who ordinarily have no interest in international football, and it's liable to get very ugly.

And when the story comes to be told, it will ALL be reported as our "fault", and our reputation and progress will have been set back another decade or two.

So it's precisely because I'm a "normal supporter" that I'd rather avoid all that sh*t and watch the Finals on telly.

Besides, there'll be other World Cups to qualify for....

Is that not a sleight bit of cutting off your nose to spite your face, no?

I don't see how anyone can call themselves a supporter if they attach certain conditions to supporting their team.

I'm happy for my team to lose out on a possible easier route to a major tournament because they could be drawn against the ghastly Republic as opposed to Spain which would be more or less a certain playoff defeat.

Qualifying for a major tournament should override any potential fallout or negative press you get if your support damaged their reputation.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 4:10pm

No reasonable person could claim that sectarianism in NI football has been completely eradicated.

But your nephew's case notwithstanding, neither could any reasonable person deny that huge progress has also been made in recent years, as you appear to do with your casual dismissal of FFA as "nonsense".

And my point is/was that if given a choice between FFA being maintained, or qualifying for a WC Finals by beating ROI in a game which set FFA back again, I'd choose the former.
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

The Jameson Clan still involved with Ports? Went to College with one of their ilk

I'm not one for naming clubs for obvious reasons but all Il say is yeah he is from the area. As far as I know the Jamison's still run the social club and I'm sure your aware of the family history lol. I've being to a few games myself over the years and there is no hostility since the infamous Fenian scum out of mid ulster protest around 96. They have a few local Catholic lads in the side although as far as I'm aware to the Jamison's sponsor a Gaelic side from Mayo so. The galling thing is and why I mocked the football for all thing is that the young lad is a decent player and Is drawing attention from everton so you would think he would be seen as an asset to the club. however after a few incidents in the past being brought to light and being told it wouldnt happen again it's still happening by those related to the coaching set up in the club.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 127128129130131 369>
  Share Topic