You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Things that only happen in Scottish football

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Listened to John Hughes on a podcast yesterday
What’s the story with his nastiness ET?

The man is a complete idiot.

There's quite a lot of stories about his time at Falkirk and Hibs where he made life a living hell for a lot of the teenage players and foreign players who didn't speak good English. All this was done to such and extent that the payers union allegedly got involved. 

He was also obsessed with screaming "poofs" and "fairies" at the top of his voice to players both of the opposing team and his own. A psychoanalyst might have some theory about hat.
Sponsored Links

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 11:00pm

yes Yogi
Thumbs Up
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

The man is a complete idiot.

There's quite a lot of stories about his time at Falkirk and Hibs where he made life a living hell for a lot of the teenage players and foreign players who didn't speak good English. All this was done to such and extent that the payers union allegedly got involved. 

He was also obsessed with screaming "poofs" and "fairies" at the top of his voice to players both of the opposing team and his own. A psychoanalyst might have some theory about hat.

His own English isn’t great himself 
He says “sree” instead of three 
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 11:11pm
Sounds like DCI Gene Hunt out of Life On Mars. I never knew he was that manner of colourful rogue but on the plus side he was one manager who always got the best out of Anthony Stokes.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 12:28am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

The former Celtic player?

yes Yogi

There are two former Celtic players called John Hughes who were nicknamed "Yogi"

I presume it's the guy who scored at Ibrox on Paddy's Day 1996 rather than the guy who scored against Leeds in 1970 that's being referenced here

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 7:38am
Yes as the older one didn’t manage falkirk
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Jocks, who cares about them anyway ......................

so Murph , I hear that you are  racist now ?

'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 12:29pm
A ban on alcohol. I think there was an issue with Euro 2021 with Hampden Park having a drink ban. I'm not aware of any other league that has a drink ban.
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 12:18am
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

A ban on alcohol. I think there was an issue with Euro 2021 with Hampden Park having a drink ban. I'm not aware of any other league that has a drink ban.

Stretching it a bit here admittedly but I'll bet the Gulf states have a ban on alcohol too.

Personally, I'm a latter day puritan who is completely against allowing fans to buy alcohol at Scottish football games. 

Keep the rules as they are. We still have an unacceptably high drinking problem here that's proving hard to erase.

And, frankly I don't trust people to have a drink at such highly charged games such as the Glasgow or Embra derbies or other frequently ill tempered games such as Aberdeen vs. Rangers or Celtic vs. Hearts.

Our drinking culture needs to change radically before we can ever allow drinking at the football here again. 
Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 11:49am
AberdeenEmbarrassed
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

Stretching it a bit here admittedly but I'll bet the Gulf states have a ban on alcohol too.

Personally, I'm a latter day puritan who is completely against allowing fans to buy alcohol at Scottish football games. 

Keep the rules as they are. We still have an unacceptably high drinking problem here that's proving hard to erase.

And, frankly I don't trust people to have a drink at such highly charged games such as the Glasgow or Embra derbies or other frequently ill tempered games such as Aberdeen vs. Rangers or Celtic vs. Hearts.

Our drinking culture needs to change radically before we can ever allow drinking at the football here again. 
It's not really the drinking culture that needs to change in this case

Certain football matches are just full of hatred and let's face it, that's why they are what they are - hatred

Alcohol and hatred are a potent mix 

If there were stalls selling pints of actual alcoholic lager at Celtic v Rangers, that's when you'd know that it had lost everything that ever made it a match we love to watch

On the other hand they can fire out all the pints they like at the rugby or even GAA because ultimately everybody is on the same side

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 1:27pm
Any idea who Bonyrigg Rose are? promote to Scotish league 2 last season and are favorites to win that league this year. Are they a reincarnation of some other team or have some sugardaddy backing them?
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Any idea who Bonyrigg Rose are? promote to Scotish league 2 last season and are favorites to win that league this year. Are they a reincarnation of some other team or have some sugardaddy backing them?

Bonnyrigg Rose are an old club, founded 1881 in what was then a town in the heart of the Lothian coalfields. They played in the East of Scotland junior leagues for decades until junior football was abolished a few years ago as part of major league reconstruction.

This is a good interview with the current owners (one of whom is a former miner) from just a couple of weeks ago - https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/rise-of-bonnyrigg-rose-why-club-is-surprised-at-favourites-tag-the-journey-from-ground-zero-mining-and-facing-hibs-3770940

A lot of these former junior clubs are better supported and run than many established third and fourth tier sides so I'm not surprised to see Bonnyrigg, Kelty and Cove doing well. I hope to see Clydebank (2002 incarnation) back in the senior leagues one day.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 2:19pm

Long a famous name in Scottish Junior football (founded 1881), they moved onto the Scottish pyramd when it was reorganised 4 years ago, and a couple of promotions later has seen them into the SFL.

Doubt that it took much (any?) money to see this through - probably just a good run under a capable manager and a particularly good group of players coming together accounts for it?

Of course, they might have been helped out financially by their most famous* former player, a certain Sean Connery , except that he's notoriously tight even for a Scot and besides, he's probably preoccupied with supporting his two other teams:

Anyhow, more here:

* - First club of Spurs legend John White, also Pat Stanton.

Edited by Territorial - 01 Aug 2022 at 2:19pm
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Long a famous name in Scottish Junior football (founded 1881), they moved onto the Scottish pyramd when it was reorganised 4 years ago, and a couple of promotions later has seen them into the SFL.

Doubt that it took much (any?) money to see this through - probably just a good run under a capable manager and a particularly good group of players coming together accounts for it?

Of course, they might have been helped out financially by their most famous* former player, a certain Sean Connery , except that he's notoriously tight even for a Scot and besides, he's probably preoccupied with supporting his two other teams:

Anyhow, more here:

I think he's probably preoccupied with being no longer with us. 
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Anyhow, more here:

I think he's probably preoccupied with being no longer with us. 

Doh!

D'ya know, I'd completely forgotten about that! Embarrassed

Maybe they got a mention in his will?

Something along the lines of "Hello Bonnyrigg, how are things?"
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 3:56pm
People bleating about the Scottish Premiership being substantially better than the LoI a few days before a mid-table Irish team spanks a Scottish Premiership team 3-0 on aggregate while comfortably outplaying them.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 3:58pm
I think it must also be considered that Sligo are mid season and Motherwell have not played any competitive games.

I think this has benefited LOI clubs.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic