You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

things that annoy the fook out of you

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 806807808809810 813>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 10:52am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

But some how your keys always end up in your back left pocket.

Exactly! LOL
Americanisms View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Americanisms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 1:00pm
When a football presenter asks the questions was a draw a fair result and did x team play poorly or did y team play did well?

The first question will almost always be responded to with yes, while the second will be responded to with a bit of both.

I would blame the presenters and pundits equally for these questions and answers as the presenters know the pundits will nearly every single time give the safe, non-controversial answer so they should ask more probing questions.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 8:11am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

MOTD commentator calling Richard Keogh, Key-oh.

Matt Dock-erty. Tim Kay-hill. Conor Gall-icker.

It gets to the point where it becomes so ubiquitous that it's essentially co-opted and becomes the correct pronunciation, at least in the UK.

There was a fella from my hometown who pronounced his name as 'Key-oh'. I think he was from Wexford originally. Thankfully Irish football fans and commentators have never pronounced names like Hourihane  or Hoban wrong. I'm still pronouncing James McClean's name wrong, as are the majority of Irish fans. 
I know of cousins from West Cork who pronounce their own surnames differently. They are Cock-lans and Min-ne-hens down west and Caw-lans and Min-na-hanes near the city.I have had my own surname, which originated in County Mayo, pronounced wrong more times in Ireland than England. 
I also believe that Kay-hill is how Tim and Gary both pronounced it themselves, so is correct. I certainly wouldn't be getting too worried about it.
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 8:19am

Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

Jeff Stelling not being able to say the word 'year' is really annoying. He says yur. 

I always found it odd how much longevity American and English people get out of Irish people not being able to pronounce certain words correctly considering the way they mangle so many of them.

Still remember an American girl shaming me for wanting to go see a fill 'em instead of a film one time.

Surely that works both ways? 
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 8:54am

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

MOTD commentator calling Richard Keogh, Key-oh.

Matt Dock-erty. Tim Kay-hill. Conor Gall-icker.

It gets to the point where it becomes so ubiquitous that it's essentially co-opted and becomes the correct pronunciation, at least in the UK.

What makes you think the Irish people pronouncing English language is more correct than English people pronouncing English language

Wink
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 8:59am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

But some how your keys always end up in your back left pocket.

Exactly! LOL

How? Not with you on this Geek
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 9:18am
I know this is first world problems 

But getting a new phone set up with all your passwords and banking / work apps
Pain in the hole 

Newryrep View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 7:07pm
asked for vinegar with my chips and they brought me 1 sachet - wtf don’t they know my stash of vinegar is running low AngryAngryAngry

Smile
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 2:40pm
People who don't know how to queue properly. Got barked at in Aldi for jumping the queue because some imbecile was standing 12 feet behind the person getting served and in between the two checkouts.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 4:49pm
How could you be 12 feet behind and also be between the checkouts? What sort of dog was it and, more importantly, what was in his basket?
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 2:24pm
Extraordinary is not just any word.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 4:23pm
When did people start adding 'this' and 'that' unnecessarily to the end of observations? 'Good film, this' and 'good goal, that'.Angry

Things being worth a 'listen' or, even worse, 'a watch', can f**k off too. Angry How much of a rush do you have to be to start  shortening 'it's worth watching'? 

I know there's an annoying words and phrases thread, but these are way beyond that. LOL
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 5:59pm
Biden's inauguration was very good there on ITV

Worth a watch, that. 

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Biden's inauguration was very good there on ITV

Worth a watch, that. 

Did he manage to not sniff young children's hair and whisper in their ears this time?
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 7:05pm
The word caveat being slipped in at every turn. 
Look at my vocabulary. ****s
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 8:12am
People saying 'only in Ireland' for things that would happen most places. 
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 8:18am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Irish people in general

At home:  this country is f**ked and run by corrupt a**holes

Away from home:  - da best country in the world, never rains and is beautiful 

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 9:22am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

I think it’s usually said by people who have not lived abroad or have much knowledge of political and economic and societal systems abroad.  If they did they would realise Ireland is not alone in the challenges of faces but by and large if you take it that there are roughly 200 countries in the world and Ireland consistently in the top 10 for many categories using various economic and societal metrics.  If we were comparing it on international football terms we are not doing bad. That is not to say there no huge struggles and terrible stories that need to be told and explored and made right. 
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 806807808809810 813>
  Share Topic