You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The "What I learned today" thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8182838485 181>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 12:07pm
Relax lads, yiz are all taking my comment a bit too serious. It was more of a quip at the spellcheck function on this forum, which was persistently annoying me every time I wrote the word "rumour".
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 12:11pm
It’s the axa red line boom , well why not put it on the things that annoy you thread you gobstopper LOLEmbarrassed
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Relax lads, yiz are all taking my comment a bit too serious. It was more of a quip at the spellcheck function on this forum, which was persistently annoying me every time I wrote the word "rumour".

Ah the old I was caught out being a thick so I'll pretend I was taking the piss excuse, very common on YBIG Wink
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

It’s the axa red line boom , well why not put it on the things that annoy you thread you gobstopper LOLEmbarrassed

I decided to deliver it in a sarcastic way so posted it on this thread, as a word which I was clearly spelling correctly, was being flagged up continuously as being incorrectly spelt.
It seems to have made your morning so every cloud I suppose. As I said, relax lads, its not really that big a deal.

DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 12:15pm
Give an Irishman a shovel and he will breast feed it, now give a Nordy a shovel well you will have a swimming pool in no time
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 12:17pm

Give an Irishman a shovel and he will breast feed it, now give a Nordy a shovel well you will have a swimming pool in no time

Confused 

That you UCDFan?

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 1:51pm
not a good day here...you have never heard of the saying breastfeeding a shovel?
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 7:59am
On this day in 1965 Singapore became the only country to date to gain independence unwillingly.

"On 9 August 1965, the Malaysian Parliament voted 126 to 0 (with Singaporean delegates not present) to move a bill to amend the constitution providing for Singapore to separate from the Federation of Malaysia"
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 8:36am

Confused 

That you UCDFan?

"Breastfeeding their shovels" is a reference to teams of outdoor male labourers, where at least one with shovel-handling duties is at rest, in an upright position with shovel against their chest. Mostly because other duties of the team are being performed including shovel-handling duties or it's a rest period after physical effort.
The passer-by observer, who may believe they represent a huge chunk of society, can put a value on this arbitary observation because the work itself is labour-intensive, presumed low-skilled, outdoors and in Public further devaluing the tasks.

The joke in 'breastfeeding their shovels' comes from altering the pre-dominant Gender from male to female, adding Parental Status.  Brendan Grace has used it, but he might have got it from North America.

After Labourer Foreman/Team Leader other society-trained jobs include Psychiatry/Psychoanalysis, Immigration Officer, Childcare and Welfare Officer.  Society knows already.  Many of the industries listed are happy for society to use industrial-jargon derogatorly, whether it's accurate or not (eg Mad, Crazy, Insane, Alien, WOP, Bogus-asylum seeker).  These industries could take back ownership of their own language if they wanted to.

hope this helps

Edited by UCDFAN - 09 Aug 2018 at 8:39am
www.ucdsupporters.ie
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 8:41am
FFS LOL
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 4:59pm
I'll never breastfeed a shovel again, it's dead to meCry
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 9:51am
Martin Tyler is assistant manager of Woking

rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 10:05am

Martin Tyler is assistant manager of Woking

He's usually part of whatever teams Alan Dowson is managing.3 or 4 clubs at this stage.

Someone gave him a dig at Woking match over the weekend.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 12:48pm
Life boats contain sponges to soak up any excess water and possible condensation
buhrke View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buhrke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 9:42pm
You still can't have your kebab and eat it ... Turkish lira keeps tanking
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 8:43am
The Futureheads song Hounds of Love was originally done by Kate Bush

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 10:48am

The Futureheads song Hounds of Love was originally done by Kate Bush

As if those talentless f**ks could have come up with that! They butchered it too!
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 10:47am
There is a highly rated High School American Footballer in Texas named 'General Booty', he comes from a long line of professional players.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8182838485 181>
  Share Topic