You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The "What I learned today" thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 122123124125126 181>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 9:21am
By having an incredibly good record! They won a group with the Netherlands and England in it and beat Brazil at the World Cup. I believe they are the only nation Brazil has played and hasn't beaten. They beat them in a high profile friendly in the 90s too.
They weren't pretty, but they were incredibly effective. There's probably some lad on their equivalent of this asking how we got to the quarter finals!
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 9:30am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

By having an incredibly good record! They won a group with the Netherlands and England in it and beat Brazil at the World Cup. I believe they are the only nation Brazil has played and hasn't beaten. They beat them in a high profile friendly in the 90s too.
They weren't pretty, but they were incredibly effective. There's probably some lad on their equivalent of this asking how we got to the quarter finals!

But this was in 93 and 95 ...
They didn’t qualify for any Euros in the 90’s and didn’t get out of the group stage in 94.

They obviously beat some good teams but don’t remember this great team.

They mentioned it the other night as the Copenhagen manager also played for Norway in the 90’s.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 9:33am
Well '93 was when they  would have won said qualifying group. It must also be considered that the rankings were only created in 1992 and were fairly rudimentary in the first few years.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 9:51am

Norway were knocked out in the first round of the 1994 World Cup finals, which was the first major finals that team made

Failed to qualify for Euro '96

Knocked out tamely in the second round of France '98

Knocked out in the first round of Euro 2000

Doesn't really strike me as the record of a top team

Algorithms ahoy

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 10:00am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Norway were knocked out in the first round of the 1994 World Cup finals, which was the first major finals that team made

Algorithms ahoy

No algorithms, in fact the lack of them. Friendlies were counted far higher than now, possibly even the same as qualifying matches, I can't remember exactly, and their records in qualifying for both World Cups was very good; even if they rode their luck in getting to America.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 7:10pm

Algorithms ahoy

No algorithms, in fact the lack of them. Friendlies were counted far higher than now, possibly even the same as qualifying matches, I can't remember exactly, and their records in qualifying for both World Cups was very good; even if they rode their luck in getting to America.

Whatever about the first bit, the part in bold was never the case. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 7:57pm
https://www.theguardian.com/football/these-football-times/2016/oct/12/norway-football-world-cup-san-marino-qualifiers

This explains it a bit, the fifa rankings only came into effect in October 93 and was based on 94 qualifying mostly as PM says they beat England and Netherlands during that two teams. In fact they had the best points total in qualifying so we're considered the best team in UEFA during qualifying (if you take away points from bottom team in 6 team groups)

I think it was also the reason we were 6th going into the world cup
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Algorithms ahoy

I am pretty sure this was the case, but the only evidence I can find is the very unreliable Wikipedia.

The ranking formula used from August 1993 until December 1998 was very simplistic and quickly became noticed for its lack of supporting factors. When the rankings were initially introduced, a team received one point for a draw or three for a victory in FIFA-recognised matches – much the same as a traditional league scoring system. This was a quite simplistic approach, however, and FIFA quickly realised that there were many factors affecting international matches.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 9:04pm

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Algorithms ahoy

I am pretty sure this was the case, but the only evidence I can find is the very unreliable Wikipedia.

The ranking formula used from August 1993 until December 1998 was very simplistic and quickly became noticed for its lack of supporting factors. When the rankings were initially introduced, a team received one point for a draw or three for a victory in FIFA-recognised matches – much the same as a traditional league scoring system. This was a quite simplistic approach, however, and FIFA quickly realised that there were many factors affecting international matches.

I misread your post. Thumbs Up I thought you mean't friendlies in general were considered as important as qualifiers before. I didn't realise you mean't in a seeding/ranking sense.

That rings a bell actually. I'm almost sure friendlies were more vital when it came to ranking points years ago. Funny thing is and again I may have this wrong, I think it was working out to our disadvantage that we either had to much or too little friendlies round 6-8 years ago during Trap's or more likely O'Neill's reign. 

Rolo I think was posting about it before on the permutations thread. Even if we won friendlies, it was somehow not going in our favour for seedings in the next qualifiers. Something like that. 

I could be completely wrong on this too.  
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 1:01am
I think you're right Muff. We played too many, I think the results weren't that important. 

Didn't Wales absolutely fly up the rankings due to playing hardly any friendlies combined with a successful qualifying campaign.
@AntrimMan85
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 11:01am
Yep, which is why the ranking system is badly flawed. It is nearly impossible to create a perfect one, but it certainly needs adjustment.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 1:58pm
Heard on a podcast that Gareth Bale (so by extension, I'm assuming the whole Real Madrid squad have the same arrangement) receives his wages every 6 months instead of a weekly payment.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 10:11pm
Leonard Nimoy (Aka Spock) directed 3 men and a baby 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 7:34pm
Waiting for Godot was originally written in French by Beckett and performed in French before being translated into English by Beckett
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 7:11am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Waiting for Godot was originally written in French by Beckett and performed in French before being translated into English by Beckett
The greatest Beckett fact is that he used to drive André the Giant to school.
Flanno7hi View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanno7hi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 1:24pm

Yeah that's a good one. I think it is exaggerated some times that it was just him and Andre in his car but it was actually him and a load of kids would jump onto the flat bed of Beckett's truck when he offered the local kids a lift down the road.

My favourite Andre the Giant fact is that when filming The Princess Bride he got pissed and passed out in the hotel bar. He was so huge that no one could move him so the hotel staff put a velvet rope around him like a museum exhibit so that no one would bump into him and they left him there for the night. 
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Flanno7hi Flanno7hi wrote:

Yeah that's a good one. I think it is exaggerated some times that it was just him and Andre in his car but it was actually him and a load of kids would jump onto the flat bed of Beckett's truck when he offered the local kids a lift down the road.

My favourite Andre the Giant fact is that when filming The Princess Bride he got pissed and passed out in the hotel bar. He was so huge that no one could move him so the hotel staff put a velvet rope around him like a museum exhibit so that no one would bump into him and they left him there for the night. 

Didn't he drink something like 30 cans in a sitting LOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 1:30pm

Originally posted by Flanno7hi Flanno7hi wrote:

Didn't he drink something like 30 cans in a sitting LOL

That was just to whet the whistle. The vino would then appear. 

Edited by McG - 19 Aug 2020 at 1:30pm
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 122123124125126 181>
  Share Topic