You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8788899091 127>
Author
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 4:12pm
I think Leo Varadkar gets an awful lot of unnecessary stick. Yes he loves himself a bit too much and is very self conscious image wise but he is statesmanlike and good at his job. I certainly think he is one of the better Taoisigh we have had over the years. 
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 5:04pm
Argentinian commentary is the best.
Its on youtube
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 8:08pm
Is it just me or was George Best very overrated. Looked unbelievably skillful but his goalscoring record and honours list don't stand up against the very best IMO. If his career continued in the manner it started then I feel that it may be warranted but the drinking and the womanising added to the mystique and seems to catapult him to a level that perhaps he does not deserve.

Edited by thebronze14 - 26 Nov 2020 at 8:09pm
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Is it just me or was George Best very overrated. Looked unbelievably skillful but his goalscoring record and honours list don't stand up against the very best IMO. If his career continued in the manner it started then I feel that it may be warranted but the drinking and the womanising added to the mystique and seems to catapult him to a level that perhaps he does not deserve.

Cheers Bronze, now we will have Terri on writing a f**king essay.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 8:31pm
The response will be so big, it'll break the internet backbone.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

LOLLOLLOL
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 8:41pm

LOL
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 8:59pm

Unpopular opinion indeed.
You f**king mug.this better be a bad joke.

Edited by oldbilly - 26 Nov 2020 at 9:01pm
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Its on youtube
Clap
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 9:04pm
The whatever section is too far south for Terri.

Roi section - belfast
Rest of the world - dundalk
Loi - wexford town 
Whatever- dungarvan 
Feedback - castletownbere 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 9:08pm

I think it's harder to appreciate how good some players were in retrospect or even judge them as overrated or underrated unless you lived through the time and seen them in the flesh live. My auld fella's generation would probably tell you the Brazil 1970 team and George Best as a player were the standouts of the time. He told me often enough LOL

Most posters on here would probably have the great AC Milan team of the early 90s or Barcelona from 2006-2016 as the best team they've ever seen with Messi as the best player. 

Your best judge is what did his managers, teammates and opposition players say at the time say about Best. That will give you a better idea of how good he actually was. 

Maradona's tribute to Best when he died in 2005. 

George inspired me when I was young. He was flamboyant and exciting and able to inspire his team-mates. I actually think we were very similar players - dribblers who were able to create moments of magic.

Edited by irishmufc - 26 Nov 2020 at 9:42pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 10:27pm

Not gonna lie, I was regretting this scenario when I hit enterLOL
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 11:14am
Hummmm Best was fantastic for a time but no Diego was better .
I recall in 91 in London i was working in a pub and i had the " chat " with a Belfast dude who said Best was far better than Diego he wanted to kill me and we had to throw him out of the pub as i said Best would not be able to lace his boots  Approve .

Like what has been said before Best never went to a World Cup and Diego won it on his own really .

Funny i saw them both play but niether stood out from what i remember in those games .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 12:33pm
Fairly basic stuff over the last page or so

Best was a genius but underachieved, he could have been one of the true all time greats and was one of the best players in the world for a few years but then the demons took over

Magee's commentary is indeed different class

However it's one of at least four different commentaries that are memorable, Bryon Butler's certainly stands the test of time, the commentators seemed to rise to the occasion too
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 2:19pm
I was more “upset” over hearing Diego died than hearing about Jack Charlton
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Fairly basic stuff over the last page or so

Best was a genius but underachieved, he could have been one of the true all time greats and was one of the best players in the world for a few years but then the demons took over

Magee's commentary is indeed different class

However it's one of at least four different commentaries that are memorable, Bryon Butler's certainly stands the test of time, the commentators seemed to rise to the occasion too

I love the way the sentence begins with an almost air of derision (little squat man) and finishes with emotion crackling in his voice stating that Maradona is the greatest player in the world. 
El Puto Amo
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Its on youtube

Best Mass I ever attended was in Buenos Aires. I don't speak Spanish, but I was mesmerised by the delivery. Its football commentary is the same.
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 7:51pm
Any adult watching the Late Late Toy Show should have to hand their hard drive in to the nearest Garda station
@AntrimMan85
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8788899091 127>
  Share Topic