Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Toon Army

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 254255256257258 267>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Pretty handy for Newcastle that they have connections to people who can organise private jets to get people in and out of countries in double quick time at short notice. 

Most clubs would tbh
Sponsored Links

Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2022 at 12:29pm
Hayden , Lewis and Clark cut from the 25 man squad.
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2022 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

Hayden , Lewis and Clark cut from the 25 man squad.

Harsh on Lewis but I'd imagine he'll get a loan to Turkey or somewhere sorted before that deadline. 

Hayden out injured for majority of the rest of the season so that makes sense.

Clark rejected loans on deadline so must be happy to just be a training member of the squad. 
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 4:06pm
Big win last night, that's now 2 in a row, Also more importantly out of the relegation zone , I know Burnley have games in hand but they've got some difficult games to come, as do Everton who are just ahead of Newcastle.

Looking above in again in the table Brentford seem to be slipping fast too.

Going to be an interesting run in but I feel Toon should have enough to stay up
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 9:59am
A fine day for Newcastle United fans yesterday - I believe 81 executions by an owner is a new Premier League record
Slow & Blind View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slow & Blind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 12:51pm

A fine day for Newcastle United fans yesterday - I believe 81 executions by an owner is a new Premier League record
Disgusting, vile and horrible country and rulers. I'm still going to follow Newcastle united. 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 1:47pm
Saudi flag flying in the away end LOLDead
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Slow & Blind Slow & Blind wrote:

Disgusting, vile and horrible country and rulers. I'm still going to follow Newcastle united. 

That's what the Saudis are bargaining on. 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 2:38pm
Newcastle fans with a Saudi flag in the away end LOL
bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 2:14pm

Convicted of terror related offences. I’m not excusing executions but it’s not like they handpicked 81 random people in a shopping centre and gunned them down.

The virtue signalling going on lately is absolutely laughable when it comes to Newcastle. Nobody said a word about Liverpool’s title sponsor, a British owned bank, funding ISIS. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 2:19pm
Whataboutery alert!
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by bundy bundy wrote:

Convicted of terror related offences. I’m not excusing executions but it’s not like they handpicked 81 random people in a shopping centre and gunned them down.

The virtue signalling going on lately is absolutely laughable when it comes to Newcastle. Nobody said a word about Liverpool’s title sponsor, a British owned bank, funding ISIS. 

Ahh Bundy, if you follow this section UAE City and Chelsea are mostly disliked based on their owners and that has been highlighted numerous times over many, many years.

But yes, Newcastle are been victimised here. Could you bury your head any further?

What has happened to Abrahamovich is just shining a light on Newcastle. And it's not going to go away, it will get worse. Once the sponsors pull out which they will, the beheaders and body choppers will be selling up. 

It would damage this forums' reputation
Slow & Blind View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slow & Blind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 8:23pm

I raised this on another thread, what should I do? The responses on that thread were to give up supporting Newcastle, stop giving them your money and liverpool would never accept owners like that. 

Going to games is built into much of my life, giving that up would be very hard. Newcastle fans don't follow the club to win trophies or be successful, it's social and enjoyable to watch every now and again. 
As for stoping giving them money, they don't need my £600 a year. I give them much more through diesel, uber, Pfizer etc.
bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Originally posted by bundy bundy wrote:

Ahh Bundy, if you follow this section UAE City and Chelsea are mostly disliked based on their owners and that has been highlighted numerous times over many, many years.

But yes, Newcastle are been victimised here. Could you bury your head any further?

What has happened to Abrahamovich is just shining a light on Newcastle. And it's not going to go away, it will get worse. Once the sponsors pull out which they will, the beheaders and body choppers will be selling up. 

Newcastle do seem to be getting it worse than other clubs, not that I care because I’m from Ireland and I have zero real connection to the club or the city. All I want is to watch the players on the pitch do well whenever they play because it gives me enjoyment. However, the Glaziers were big money men for Trump and Liverpool’s main sponsor knowingly laundered money for Isis and the taliban. Not a word about it at all. Man United also partnered with PIF in 2017, again not a word about it.

Do I agree with what happens in Saudi? No I don’t. Nor do I agree with what goes on in parts of America where the death penalty is in place. Like it or not, it’s the law in these places. Executions are lawful and while we don’t agree with it, it happens and there’s nothing I can do about it. 

All this talk about “blood money” being pumped into Newcastle is nonsense. It’s oil money. And the funniest thing of all is the people so enraged about Saudi will be tuning in to the World Cup in Qatar and you can be sure all the “outraged” football journalists will be over there. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 9:16pm

I raised this on another thread, what should I do? The responses on that thread were to give up supporting Newcastle, stop giving them your money and liverpool would never accept owners like that. 

Going to games is built into much of my life, giving that up would be very hard. Newcastle fans don't follow the club to win trophies or be successful, it's social and enjoyable to watch every now and again. 
As for stoping giving them money, they don't need my £600 a year. I give them much more through diesel, uber, Pfizer etc.
Be vocal, show your disapproval, maybe contact your supporters trust and express your view and see if they feel the same. Still go to games, show your disapproval there.
The comparison to Uber, diesel etc is false equivalence: The Saudis are in those to make money. They bought Newcastle for the purpose of sportswashing. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 9:31am
Honestly, I find the “what can I do about it?” mentality of Newcastle fans frustrating. Two years after the deal was touted its boiling down to “just focus on the football, and what happens in the boardroom is beyond our control”.

Playing devils advocate, then why bother with the protests about Mike Ashley? If the boardroom and the fans are totally unlinked, then you could suggest that it was none of the fans business what Ashley spent or didn’t spend, it was his funds, and he could use them as he saw fit. There was “nothing they could do”, but the perceived low spend, the hiring of unglamorous managers, and the general ‘meh’ outcomes motivated fans to demand change.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 9:51am
I kind of felt like not responding to the last few posts, but that would be probably by definition be seen as burying the head in the sand.

What happens in Saudi Arabia in terms of the death penalty is horrible we can all agree, but we can also all agree that that is the law of the country.

As bundy says it happens in other places too. I'm not condoning it far from it. 

Eddie Howe got ripped to shreds by the media for refusing to answer a question about the executions the other day, Tuchel got praised for answering one question about the Ukraine issue but when asked again he responded basically in the same way Eddie Howe did, with I'm a football manager stop asking me these questions I have no answers to.

I'm sure Eddie Howe could have answered the same way but chose to say he'd only talk about football as that is his job.

Jonathan Wilson wrote a great piece the other day about the topic of owners and PL which is well worth a read

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 10:18am
Lass, thanks for sharing that. And I’m not naive enough to believe that complaints about ownership tend to be focussed on investment “on the pitch”. Fans love suggesting a “massive clear out” and estimating transfer budgets based on arbitrary figures to be recouped for dead wood, and horse traded figures for incoming. That rarely works. But that’s where fans get their kicks. And if that can happen by way of massive investment, they generally won’t turn their noses up at it, no matter what people say about the source of wealth.

In reality though, Newcastle and Chelsea will be held to a higher standards due to geo-political links. Trawl through every activity of every sponsor, and you’ll probably find something. Other owners also are involved in other industries that are not necessarily of high repute. Online gambling advertisement is relentless. The list goes on and on. But that doesn’t mean that Newcastle and Chelsea ought not be held to a higher standard, questions asked, and answered.

To “focus on the football” and “what can I do about it” is just a sign of ignoring the elephant in the room. As I’ve always held out, Newcastle have a passionate and strong fan base that have stood up to previous owners, and willingly asked questions of management. To all of a sudden step back just seems far too transparent to me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 254255256257258 267>
  Share Topic