You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Toon Army

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 240241242243244 267>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaileNuisBhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 1:49am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

I'd say most Newcastle supporters think Saudi Arabia is one of them pay in eat as much as you want buffets never mind what's happening in Yemen.
You've got to love the bitterness 😂
Say no to Egg Chasing!!!
Sponsored Links

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 2:58am
I actually hate the taste of bitter. More of a whiskey man myself.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 6:49am
Originally posted by BaileNuisBhoy BaileNuisBhoy wrote:

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

I'd say most Newcastle supporters think Saudi Arabia is one of them pay in eat as much as you want buffets never mind what's happening in Yemen.
You've got to love the bitterness 😂
This is part of the problem. If people criticise the new potential owners and their background it will be deemed as 'bitterness' and 'jealousy', when that is just wilfully ignoring the elephant in the room.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 6:50am
Originally posted by Slow & Blind Slow & Blind wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

https://www.si.com/.amp/soccer/2020/04/22/newcastle-sale-saudi-arabia-mike-ashley-premier-league?__twitter_impression=true

Another excellent synopsis. 
Good article.
The only point is I'd ignore social media, Twitter in particular, if you want to get a view on what Newcastle supporters think of the Saudis. Most Newcastle supporters i meet don't care who the new owners are and many wouldn't be too clued up on what been happening in Yemen for the last 10 years. 
He does point out the flaws of social media  but people not caring is the whole point!0
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 9:21am
It is an odd one alright, without trying to sound like I support the Saudis a lot of the human rights issues stem from them following Sharia Law to the letter.

Do I have issues with what they do, of course but again without trying to be supportive of the regime it's what I grew up believing, Saudis believe in another way is it right for me to judge that?

In terms of the sportswashing term which is being thrown around perhaps they are using it as a distraction and again not wanting to sound supportive of the Saudis are Qatar and UAE not doing the exact same thing with PSG, The World Cup and Man City? 

In terms of the TV rights argument? I'd say that is more political then it is about the morals of the game and revenue.

I think the main point I'm trying to make is as a Newcastle fan can I in any way change this. NO
Will I stop supporting Newcastle because of it NO

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 9:56am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

It is an odd one alright, without trying to sound like I support the Saudis a lot of the human rights issues stem from them following Sharia Law to the letter.

Do I have issues with what they do, of course but again without trying to be supportive of the regime it's what I grew up believing, Saudis believe in another way is it right for me to judge that?

In terms of the sportswashing term which is being thrown around perhaps they are using it as a distraction and again not wanting to sound supportive of the Saudis are Qatar and UAE not doing the exact same thing with PSG, The World Cup and Man City? 

In terms of the TV rights argument? I'd say that is more political then it is about the morals of the game and revenue.

I think the main point I'm trying to make is as a Newcastle fan can I in any way change this. NO

I think this has become a bit of a narrative around the move, i.e. “it’s out of my hands” and “little can be done by the fans”. Newcastle fans have been particularly vocal about the Ashley regime, and have been for some time, especially after Rafa’s departure. It would seem a tad inconsistent to drop the protest movement simply because there is a view “there is nothing that can be done”. That could have been argued by fans about Ashley, especially as moving or sacking or transferring owners just isn’t a thing.

Newcastle have been a club that has been vocal in standing up against what it didn’t like. Fans famously confronting Keegan about the sale of Cole (and purchase of Gillespie), and Freddy Shepherd too. Objectively, the narrative of helplessness is compromised in that this is different to the Glazier take over at Manchester United. It brings financial muscle that it can share with other teams like City and PSG (both weren’t big teams prior to their investment). It just appears convenient when the move has the potential to push Newcastle beyond what occurred in 1994-1997 and make them a European powerhouse.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 10:27am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I think this has become a bit of a narrative around the move, i.e. “it’s out of my hands” and “little can be done by the fans”. Newcastle fans have been particularly vocal about the Ashley regime, and have been for some time, especially after Rafa’s departure. It would seem a tad inconsistent to drop the protest movement simply because there is a view “there is nothing that can be done”. That could have been argued by fans about Ashley, especially as moving or sacking or transferring owners just isn’t a thing.

Newcastle have been a club that has been vocal in standing up against what it didn’t like. Fans famously confronting Keegan about the sale of Cole (and purchase of Gillespie), and Freddy Shepherd too. Objectively, the narrative of helplessness is compromised in that this is different to the Glazier take over at Manchester United. It brings financial muscle that it can share with other teams like City and PSG (both weren’t big teams prior to their investment). It just appears convenient when the move has the potential to push Newcastle beyond what occurred in 1994-1997 and make them a European powerhouse.

Yes Newcastle are passionate about the club and I'd imagine there will be protests in regards to the new ownership if it goes.

I do agree many fans views are been skewed by the fact the club may be able to compete financially now which I think was more the issues had with Ashley, it started off well enough for him remember but as soon as what happened with Keegan he became a villian and I think from that point onwards his relationship with the club changed too. 

If you look back over the years Ashley has been at the club we very rarely spent more then we earned via sales. 

I think the majority of protests were about his running of the club rather then how he ran Sports Direct as I said that wasn't necessarily something fans could change. Similar to how protests against the Saudi government aren't going to make the Saudi government go "you know what the Newcastle fans are right lets change"

As I said I don't support what the Saudis do (tbh I don't know the full extent either of everything they've been accused of). Will I support the team I've loved since I was a boy yes.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 10:59am
I’m not encouraging anybody to turn their back on the club, or anything like that. There is something in most top club’s history that some of the fans will at best to a blind eye to and at worst be apologists for.

I suppose, in this instance, I have been intrigued by some of the responses I have seen, which includes the schoolroom jibe of “they’re just jealous”, which is an attitude of the apologist, to the “what can we do about it”. The latter view is not that of the apologist, but a sign of a blind spot, which I think could transform into acceptance. Another one if seen is the “whatabout” American owners, which just isn’t the same and a poor comparison.

I accept that the Ashley protests were about being able to financially compete. The central issue most WHU fans with the current ownership, amongst many, is the perception about expenditure. But that doesn’t mean that you can’t protest a new owner for other reasons. And even if it is just a symbolic protest, it makes a point, and demonstrates a commitment to wider inclusivity etc

Edited by Het-field - 23 Apr 2020 at 11:00am
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 11:54am

I’m not encouraging anybody to turn their back on the club, or anything like that. There is something in most top club’s history that some of the fans will at best to a blind eye to and at worst be apologists for.

I suppose, in this instance, I have been intrigued by some of the responses I have seen, which includes the schoolroom jibe of “they’re just jealous”, which is an attitude of the apologist, to the “what can we do about it”. The latter view is not that of the apologist, but a sign of a blind spot, which I think could transform into acceptance. Another one if seen is the “whatabout” American owners, which just isn’t the same and a poor comparison.

I accept that the Ashley protests were about being able to financially compete. The central issue most WHU fans with the current ownership, amongst many, is the perception about expenditure. But that doesn’t mean that you can’t protest a new owner for other reasons. And even if it is just a symbolic protest, it makes a point, and demonstrates a commitment to wider inclusivity etc

And I'd imagine Newcastle fans will protest over others reasons too.

Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 12:15pm
So... stoning gay people at half time or what's the story?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 12:33pm
This lockdown has gone on too long! I'm in agreement with Hetfield here.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 1:21pm

I support Leeds in England, granted I'm not hardcore but I get over to matches occasionally and have followed them since I was a kid. There's no way I would continue to support them if the Saudi regime took over. 
Even aside from the vast ethical arguments, you won't be experiencing organic success. Same as PSG/ City etc, the club as you know will cease to exist. Winning by virtue of having an endless supply of cash. Where's the fun in that? 
El Puto Amo
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 1:31pm

And I'd imagine Newcastle fans will protest over others reasons too.

I’m sure they will. But I am a little concerned by the narrative that “what can the fans do”, when Newcastle have been very vocal about “getting their club back”. These are contradictory because if fans are helpless then there is no hope for them “getting their club back” as it accepts that it is a club in name only and there is a distinction between the corporate and the personal, which means it’s not actually a club.

I just feel it’s a refuge for fans who see the potential for massive gains on the pitch, while overlooking some crucial issues.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

So... stoning gay people at half time or what's the story?

LOL

I wonder what Newcastle Central's MP will make of all of this, a woman with so much hate for Mike Ashley she actually tried to pause the vote on Brexit to try change the debate on ousting him.
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 5:49pm
The hunderland obsession with this is predictable,they hadn't got a clue what Saudia Arabia was last week LOL never mind where it is.

At this stage i honestly couldn't give a bollocks who takes over as long as that greedy pig is out !
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

The hunderland obsession with this is predictable,they hadn't got a clue what Saudia Arabia was last week LOL never mind where it is.

At this stage i honestly couldn't give a bollocks who takes over as long as that greedy pig is out !

I've used that joke already get your own Tongue

Edited by coyne - 23 Apr 2020 at 5:50pm
bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

I support Leeds in England, granted I'm not hardcore but I get over to matches occasionally and have followed them since I was a kid. There's no way I would continue to support them if the Saudi regime took over. 
Even aside from the vast ethical arguments, you won't be experiencing organic success. Same as PSG/ City etc, the club as you know will cease to exist. Winning by virtue of having an endless supply of cash. Where's the fun in that? 

Organic growth? It’s the Premier League and it’s the year 2020. How can any team grow “organically”? I don’t know what planet you’re on but I’m glad I’m not on it.

The only way to survive in modern sport is to throw mountains of cash at it. There is simply no other way.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 1:06pm
What's this 'cans' sh*te about on Twitter? Geordie coming across terribly during this, but hardly surprising either. Always been massively overrated as supporters.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 240241242243244 267>
  Share Topic