Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The team linking arms for our anthem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 9:08am
Linking arms not for me. And they face the tri colour don't they?
Sponsored Links

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 9:13am
By linking arms do ya mean over the shoulders? Like the rugby team?

This was the way to do it...
irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Classic duffer facing the wrong way!!
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

ABFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 9:40am
Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

For all of this years qualifiers they just faced the camera
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 10:23am
Originally posted by ABFC ABFC wrote:

In Georgia and Germany flags were in main stand behind camera
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 10:57am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

If we're being pedantic, I always thought the proper way to salute the anthem is facing the flag with hands by the side

Correct Mark, hands behind the back is incorrect.  Standing to attention is the official way (and for me the most respectful) and that is how I was taught and is how I always sing it.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 11:55am
It annoys me when people don't remove their hats either Angry

I'd rather if the team actually learned the words, never mind this linking arms malark
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 12:23pm
They should have their arms behind their back and sing like Liam Gallagher pretending their a microphone ij front of them and thrn when the anthem is finished do that little soccer am Manchester dance.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
BaileNuisBhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaileNuisBhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 1:53pm
If they learned the words and sang it twud be a start. Unpatriotic coonts
Say no to Egg Chasing!!!
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Good man duffer, facing the singing section in stead of the flag

Edited by Charlton's Child - 04 Nov 2014 at 9:49pm
Danny Invincible View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Invincible Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 1:41am

Because the tricolour has been on the pitch right in front of them. The team have always faced the tricolour and still do, in accordance with customary protocol.

Mind you, all in attendance are also officially advised to salute the flag until the final note of the anthem: http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/attached_files/Pdf%20files/The%20National%20Flag.pdf

Defacement of the flag with slogans or lettering is also officially frowned upon. 
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

Originally posted by Cookie Monster Cookie Monster wrote:

It might be a small thing i've noticed the team no longer turn around and face the flag during the anthem. Anyone think they should now link arms for the anthem? It would display a bit of passion that non football people seem to think our team is lacking.

I'd settle for all the players actually knowing the words! It's a disgrace to see most of them mouthing "nothing" that makes sense, even our captain Robbie Keane. It's hard to understand how guys that play for their country can't be bothered to learn the National Anthem
not as much of a disgrace as the property tax or the water charges we have to pay. Lots of our fans cant sing it either. More of a pity than a disgrace

Eh..what has the water charges and property tax got to do with singing or not singing our national anthem? Confused

I disagree, it IS a disgrace if players representing their country do not know the words of the anthem. It should be a no brainer to know it. As for Robbie keane, someone mentioned earlier he sings it loud and proud, well I have to disagree there too because his lip sync is usually way off when you see him "singing" it, as it is when most people open their mouths pretending to sing but haven't a clue of the words. 
I used to be a schizophrenic.......and so was I
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 12:45pm
so you want him to start blaring it out and beating his chest like a nut!

jaysus wept,this place gets worse by the day
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by erimus erimus wrote:

so you want him to start blaring it out and beating his chest like a nut!

jaysus wept,this place gets worse by the day

Don't think I said that anywhere but feel free to have an unprovoked ridiculous rant stating things that were never said if it makes you feel better. Jesus wept is right. Is it your time of the month or wha
JH91 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JH91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 12:55pm

It might be a small thing i've noticed the team no longer turn around and face the flag during the anthem. Anyone think they should now link arms for the anthem? It would display a bit of passion that non football people seem to think our team is lacking.

I'd settle for all the players actually knowing the words! It's a disgrace to see most of them mouthing "nothing" that makes sense, even our captain Robbie Keane. It's hard to understand how guys that play for their country can't be bothered to learn the National Anthem
not as much of a disgrace as the property tax or the water charges we have to pay. Lots of our fans cant sing it either. More of a pity than a disgrace

Eh..what has the water charges and property tax got to do with singing or not singing our national anthem? Confused

I disagree, it IS a disgrace if players representing their country do not know the words of the anthem. It should be a no brainer to know it. As for Robbie keane, someone mentioned earlier he sings it loud and proud, well I have to disagree there too because his lip sync is usually way off when you see him "singing" it, as it is when most people open their mouths pretending to sing but haven't a clue of the words. 

LOL
For f**k sake ya can hear him singing it when the mic goes past him.
Just seems outta sync because the size of the stadium.
By your reckoning, all Irish fans mime the anthem as they're always outta sync when ya see on tv

Edited by JH91 - 06 Nov 2014 at 12:55pm
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 1:01pm
This thread
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by JH91 JH91 wrote:

LOL
For f**k sake ya can hear him singing it when the mic goes past him.
Just seems outta sync because the size of the stadium.
By your reckoning, all Irish fans mime the anthem as they're always outta sync when ya see on tv

so the size of the stadium puts him out of sync when the mic passes him that is being relayed directly on the TV LOL. Brilliant einstein. I wonder how Tony O'Donohue isn't out of sync then in his interviews. 
JH91 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JH91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 1:27pm
Seems outta sync compared to the rest of the stadium, Ted
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic