You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rugby Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 360361362363364 469>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Argentina!!!!!!!!!!

Wow impressive friendly win! Nearly as impressive as Finland beating France 2-0 in the football the other night.

Wasn't a friendly though, part of the 2020 Rugby Championship which is the southern hemisphere version of the Six Nations.

So lets just say before you try to make a joke perhaps educate yourself otherwise you look like a fool 

So a friendly?
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Argentina!!!!!!!!!!

Wow impressive friendly win! Nearly as impressive as Finland beating France 2-0 in the football the other night.

Wasn't a friendly though, part of the 2020 Rugby Championship which is the southern hemisphere version of the Six Nations.

So lets just say before you try to make a joke perhaps educate yourself otherwise you look like a fool 
One of the most famous football matches in Irish history was England 0 Ireland 2 in 1949

That was a Test Match

England 3 Hungary 6 in 1953 is one of the most famous matches of all time

That was another Test Match

According to some lads here The Ashes in cricket is a series of friendly matches

But it isn't

The Ashes is a series of deadly serious Test Matches

Long live Test Matches

Ohhhhh Cricket the Ashes is something else , never been to a day of one of the tests but would think it would be cracking .
Funny love to see England stick up the Aussies can't think of any other sport where i want England to win . 

Was at 3 days of it last summer, including day 1 of first test at Edgbaston. Some day out

Aye was at old Trafford day 4 Sunday late 90’s probably the best Aussie side ever warne 2 Waugh’s etc they were smashing it about till lunchtime then putting England in 

Sun was shining pints flowing England getting beat - but was destroyed by the evening 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Argentina!!!!!!!!!!

How was it a friendly? 
Come on nvidic, you know the rules, if it’s not part of a FIFA approved tournament, if a friendly to the rugby haters

Looks that way! I don't like how rugby makes more out of friendlies than needs be but this clearly wasn't a friendly 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 6:16pm
Rings being Run.

Clap
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 8:11pm

Argentina!!!!!!!!!!

How was it a friendly? 
Come on nvidic, you know the rules, if it’s not part of a FIFA approved tournament, if a friendly to the rugby haters

Looks that way! I don't like how rugby makes more out of friendlies than needs be but this clearly wasn't a friendly 
New Zealand/Argies was the equivalent of a Copa America.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 9:56am

Argentina!!!!!!!!!!

How was it a friendly? 

The problem, in this case, isn't rugby but football itself. Friendly internationals once used to have a prestige, but because football is been bloating itself for 30 odd years they have become nothing but a waste of time, therefore any similarly organised matches in any other sport must be equally unimportant. I enjoyed two rugby games this weekend in a hastily arranged international tournament, even if I would question the need for international sport at all now, but would have absolutely no interest in watching either football match involving the Republic of Ireland and I doubt I am alone. Before anyone says it, that isn't just because we are sh*te, we are nearly always sh*te, but because friendlies are beyond pointless and the players, across all teams, seem to see the NL as little better. Whatever initial impetis that tournament had seems to have dissipated, not helped by Covid.
What we, as football fans, should be doing is questioning how badly our sport is functioning for this to be the case, but it is easier to mock other sports.

Rugby's sense of self-importance mixed with its inferiority complex, particularly in relation to football, especially as many involved in the sport were born with an in-built superiority complex, is certainly nauseating, but their ability to keep international rugby the pinnacle of their sport is commendable.

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Argentina!!!!!!!!!!

One of the most famous football matches in Irish history was England 0 Ireland 2 in 1949

That was a Test Match

England 3 Hungary 6 in 1953 is one of the most famous matches of all time

That was another Test Match

According to some lads here The Ashes in cricket is a series of friendly matches

But it isn't

The Ashes is a series of deadly serious Test Matches

Long live Test Matches

Ohhhhh Cricket the Ashes is something else , never been to a day of one of the tests but would think it would be cracking .
Funny love to see England stick up the Aussies can't think of any other sport where i want England to win . 

Was at 3 days of it last summer, including day 1 of first test at Edgbaston. Some day out

Aye was at old Trafford day 4 Sunday late 90’s probably the best Aussie side ever warne 2 Waugh’s etc they were smashing it about till lunchtime then putting England in 

Sun was shining pints flowing England getting beat - but was destroyed by the evening 
Super to hear that you and AM have been to a ashes test , now not sure if i will ever get a chance to see one but as for drinking , well by 6.30pm i would you find it hard to remember who was playing LOL . Lads here used to say to me what do you see in Cricket  , i would tell them you start drinking around 10.am and finish up at 6.30pm Thumbs Up
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 2:01pm
Come on the Hangar Bar 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 1:31pm
Anyone see any of the Rugby European Cup over the weekend? It was my first time seeing the new format, my god what a stupid system. In the past you'd have 6 pools of 4, top 2 going through, standard Champions League style.

Now they're drawn into 2 groups of 12, but each team only plays two of the other teams (home and away so 4 games). Then all the results of those 12 teams are put together on the table, and top 4 go through.

On top of that, the choosing of opposition is seeded, and the top teams only play the worst teams. So it's incredibly likely that the top 4 teams will win 4/4 against the worst teams, and all the games that the 2nd/3rd seeds play is pointless.

In football terms, it'd be like Bayern or Liverpool playing games against Midtylland, Rennes and Ferncvaros, while teams like Ajax, Porto, Inter, Atletico playing against each other. Ajax would have to get more points against good teams than Bayern get against bad teams. 

It's an amazingly bad system, totally corrupt to keep the big boys going through to knockouts.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 1:31pm
South Africa, Scotland Asia Pacific 1 and Europe 2 in world cup draw.

Find it a bit odd they have the draw nearly 3 years before the competition 
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 2:10pm

Anyone see any of the Rugby European Cup over the weekend? It was my first time seeing the new format, my god what a stupid system. In the past you'd have 6 pools of 4, top 2 going through, standard Champions League style.

Now they're drawn into 2 groups of 12, but each team only plays two of the other teams (home and away so 4 games). Then all the results of those 12 teams are put together on the table, and top 4 go through.

On top of that, the choosing of opposition is seeded, and the top teams only play the worst teams. So it's incredibly likely that the top 4 teams will win 4/4 against the worst teams, and all the games that the 2nd/3rd seeds play is pointless.

In football terms, it'd be like Bayern or Liverpool playing games against Midtylland, Rennes and Ferncvaros, while teams like Ajax, Porto, Inter, Atletico playing against each other. Ajax would have to get more points against good teams than Bayern get against bad teams. 

It's an amazingly bad system, totally corrupt to keep the big boys going through to knockouts.

Agreed - it's a comically bad system.

And I'd imagine it's a result of a combination of that and also to ensure the English and French sides have less fixture congestion. It shows you the damage that can be done to the sporting integrity of a competition when the big guns are able to call the shots (as we also nearly saw with that attempted power coup in the EPL recently).
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 2:21pm

Tough draw for us-
Play NZ or France if we get through the group.

England / Wales will be happy with their side. Avoid NZ / Saffa and France. 

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Tough draw for us-
Play NZ or France if we get through the group.

England / Wales will be happy with their side. Avoid NZ / Saffa and France. 

Yeah tough as South Africa have really turned their game around the last few years, Can see us getting through the group but again a nice QF exit to NZ looms
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 9:19pm
Defo another quarter final exit on the cards
deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 8:15pm
Munster dead and buried after 25mins in Clermont but kept going, some win.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by deco911 deco911 wrote:

Munster dead and buried after 25mins in Clermont but kept going, some win.

Great win, there looking good again this weather
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 10:14pm
One of Munster's greatest ever wins.  Superb stuff.  
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 1:22pm
The Ulster and Munster games were 2 brilliant matches. Leinster were sloppy enough but still managed a bp win.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 360361362363364 469>
  Share Topic