You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rugby Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 323324325326327 470>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 12:32am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Along with the 1986 tournament in Iceland, the Brazil result is a major part of Irish football folklore.

That may well be, but it didn't grab the attention of the masses back then- attendance variously reported at 17K or 18K in a 30k stadium, and neither has there been a book or a play written about it since. Maybe because it was a friendly. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I know.  It was a vital test match that confirmed their hero status forevermore.

Be as facetious as you want, that result against Brazil meant something, and was an important moment in Jack Charlton’s early career as Irish manager.

I was there and to be fair it didn't seem that big a deal at the time.  

We had sold out a vital qualifier v Belgium a few weeks earlier.  Tickets were a problem for this even more so than games v England and France a decade or so before.  Terraces were still open so there must have been 49,000 or so at the Belgium game and more locked out.  

The attendance was awful v Brazil.  I certainly expected far more to be there but they weren't the draw Argentina would have been at the time.  It was great to win but at the time it didn't feel like something really special.

This was also before Euro 88 so the national team didn't have the same attraction.  Most tickets were sold on general sale.  

Of course it was much the same for rugby.  I was in college in Cork at the time and recall buying Ireland v England tickets over the counter from a city centre shop whose name escapes me.  I moved to Galway after that and was still buying rugby International tickets over the counter until the early 1990's.  
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 1:08pm
Fox's cigar shop opposite Trinity apparently used to sell rugby tickets - could be there.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 1:17pm
If Ireland/Brazil was the equivalent of Munster/All Blacks, is Ireland/Germany the equivalent of the Ireland/All Blacks in Chicago?
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

If Ireland/Brazil was the equivalent of Munster/All Blacks, is Ireland/Germany the equivalent of the Ireland/All Blacks in Chicago?

No. Ireland getting a corner against Liechtenstein is the equivalent of the win in Windy City.......
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 1:50pm
Have a job on in Lansdowne on Saturday, hopefully can get access to view the game somewhere. Think I was at an Ireland game in the early 90s for the World Cup. Nearly 30 year f**k Shocked
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

No 

Ireland/Brazil was is the equivalent of this weekends game and the same in Chicago

Munster/All Blacks is the same as Ireland XI vs LOI XI. 

Ireland/Germany hasn't being done yet in Rugby. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 4:16pm
England are in a real game here!
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Second half England turned the screw
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 4:53pm
Japan are brilliant to watch. They are the real entertainers in a game that has become quite staid and tactical under professionalism.
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 4:58pm

Japan are brilliant to watch. They are the real entertainers in a game that has become quite staid and tactical under professionalism.

+1, yeah its becoming more like american football since professionalism, suffering as a spectacle
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 5:48pm

So its not virtual reality?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 6:49pm
No pyro no party me bollix
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 6:52pm
Dreadful sh*te! The drumming is bad enough at the football without actually letting the ****s on the pitch.
Ryle Nugemt really is a gimp, how he got employed by someone without family contacts is baffling. 
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 6:52pm
Buzzing..
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 6:57pm
Hopefully the all blacks will beat West Britain.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Hopefully the all blacks will beat West Britain.

Is that vinegar or lemon I smell?
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by armahibee armahibee wrote:

+1, yeah its becoming more like american football since professionalism, suffering as a spectacle

At least American Football is entertaining and unpredictable.
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 323324325326327 470>
  Share Topic