You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rugby Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 248249250251252 469>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captkeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by captkeen captkeen wrote:

Anyone thinking of going to Japan 2019.also looking for tickets.I'm looking at going to France v Irfeland in Paris in February.
x
Live Long and Prosper.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 1:30pm
This is the way the voting be for the 2023 WC,

Six Nations/SANZAR Unions not bidding (three votes each)

- Argentina- SA(3)

- Australia-SA(6)

- England-IRE(3)

- Italy-FRA (3)

- New Zealand-SA(9)

- Scotland- IRE(6)

- Wales-IRE (9)

Six regional associations + Japan (two votes each)

- Africa-SA (11)

- Americas North-IRE (11)

- Asia-IRE (13)

- Europe-FRA (5)

- Japan-IRE (15)

- Oceania- SA (15)

- South America-FRA (7)

Four individual unions (One vote each)

- Canada-IRE (16)

- Georgia-FRA  (8)

- Romania-FRA(9)

- USA-IRE (17)

That's how I'd imagine each region would vote think we stand a good chance as after first round we'd have 17 votes

Then you'd imagine likes of Italy who have 3 votes would plump for us over SA

Edited by lassassinblanc - 26 Sep 2017 at 1:33pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 12:13am
New Zealand are unbelievable to watch. The best and most entertaining national side, including previous NZ teams, of the openly professional era.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 9:00am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

New Zealand are unbelievable to watch. The best and most entertaining national side, including previous NZ teams, of the openly professional era.

The WC win in 2011 was a massive turning point in world rugby.
Winning at home took a mountain of pressure off everybody and since then they have played with much more freedom.

The final win in 2015 was top class and they gone up another level since then.
Shows how good the lions were.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

The WC win in 2011 was a massive turning point in world rugby.
Winning at home took a mountain of pressure off everybody and since then they have played with much more freedom.

The final win in 2015 was top class and they gone up another level since then.
Shows how good the lions were.
Yeah, for all the abuse Gatland took, he did a fine job.
Argentina deserve credit too for pushing them back in the second-half when the game was over.
TioPepe View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TioPepe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 10:57am
I was looking on twitter last night, i noticed a tweet from an individual. Trying to sell raffles tickets for a signed Ulster jersey in aid of Catholic school before the Ulster game. Having sold 0 after 45 mins, one individual went to purchase one but asked for his money back when he realised it was for a catholic school.

Is that attitude still in existence? Confused
TioPepe View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TioPepe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 2:12pm
Bleyendaal. Certainly will be Irelands next 10. Stand up and fight Clap
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 8:22pm
Zebo apparently off to racing , ROG definitely doing what he can do to attract the Irish lads
d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 12:06am
A real loss for Ireland and Munster at 27. Coming into his prime and the back 3 is one area where we are not laden with talent.

Seems mad Heaslip and Kearney are on central contracts and Zebo wasn't

Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 6:54am
Originally posted by d13dave d13dave wrote:

A real loss for Ireland and Munster at 27. Coming into his prime and the back 3 is one area where we are not laden with talent.

Seems mad Heaslip and Kearney are on central contracts and Zebo wasn't

I remember Gerry thornley saying at the start of the year that the amount of central contracts has been nearly halved since the 2011 World Cup which i fined odd . Bet definitely a big Loss half way in to a World Cup cycle will be interesting to see if he’s selected for either the autumn international or six nation games
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 10:06am
He's essentially taken him out of contention for 2019 world cup unless they change their rules. 

The way rugby selections work (where nations generally don't select players playing abroad), means there's loads of players willing to move right after a world cup for 2/3 years, but not many outside of that. If Zebo had waited till 2019 to move he'd have had a lot more competition. By moving now, he misses a world cup, but will make a lot more money I'd imagine.
notionsnut View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notionsnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 10:21am
had a pint with a friend over the weekend who is involved with the backroom staff with a provincial side and rumours flying about at present within the "rugby circles" is that Kimmage has a bee in his bonnet at present in regards to 2 former Irish internationals who have allegedly failed drug tests and it was swept under the carpet by provinces and at international level. 

Quick search online and a few message boards and nothing seems to be popping up. could be just good auld Irish rumours. 

*mods delete post if libel* 
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 2:41pm
Decent Schedule for the 2019 WC

Scotland 22nd Sept
Japan 28th Sept
Europe 1 (most likely Romania) 3rd Oct
Playoff Winner ( Most likely Samoa)12th Oct

Would be good to get the big game out of the way first.

As that really fecked us up last time as half the team got injured against the French.

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Scotland 22nd Sept
Japan 28th Sept

As that really fecked us up last time as half the team got injured against the French.

Decent KO times. Earlier KO is 08:15 Irish time. Romania game will be on a Thursday morning which is a bit of a pain
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Scotland 22nd Sept
Japan 28th Sept

Decent KO times. Earlier KO is 08:15 Irish time. Romania game will be on a Thursday morning which is a bit of a pain

Yeah not too bad
8:45- Scotland (Sun)
8:15 Japan (Sat)
11:15 Romania (Thur)
11:45 Playoff (Sat)
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 3:29pm
Looking at other groups fixtures
Pool B
NZ and SA play each other first game of group day before we play Scots so we should know who we'd most likely face in terms of 1st/2nd before out 1st game. Italians finish with the two big boys

Pool C

England have Argentina followed by France as their last two games French start with Argies

Pool D
Wales and Australia play in 2nd game in group Welsh play Georgian first so I suppose similar to ourselves they'll play the toughest physically first, even though Fiji have caused them problems in the past, that is after they play Australia so they may be under a bit of pressure after that.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 11:38pm
Anyone thinking of going to Japan 2019?
I'd say the packages will be absolutely mental money
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 12:11am
A reminder that the Leinster Schools Senior Cup starts this month. 

This article, by Paul Howard, sorry, Neil 'Franno' Francis is astonishing, and I don't say that lightly. It tells the tale of the final of said competition in 1981 or some such, and Franno's not inconsiderable part in it, at least according to himself. 

Speaking of Howard, he may as well pack in his lucrative career & his alter ego Ross O'Carroll-Kelly, because even with his wit, imagination, powers of observation, gift for comedy and any combination of drugs you care to mention, he couldn't come up with bullsh*t like this, there isn't even a bullsh*tometer out there capable of measuring it, and no way of parodying it exists. 

A few things to note; starting with the amount of military references so beloved of all rugby reporters. This is quite the list, it might even be the definitive list. When rugby reporting military references bingo gets up & running (and it really should) , this article is your checklist.

Normandy American Cemetery, Omaha Beach, Indians & Chiefs, fixing your bayonet, the battle of the Somme, Winston Churchill, Flanders (the WW2 battle location, not Ned of the Simpsons), France, the lanes & streets of Britain and a quote in Latin (Fides Et Robur) all get a mention. Believe me, that isn't even the half of it. Genuinely never saw anything like this, and I do tend to look out for ridiculous rugby articles to mock (shooting fish in a barrel I know) 

Ah fcuk this lads, I'm after reading it again, it just has to be a parody, it really does. There is even a nod to D'unbelievables GAA coach Timmy Ryan's famous payoff line about being U14 next year, with our hero Franno mentioning he was only 16 years of age when this battle of the ages occurred. Anyway, tis Howard I feel sorry for, with him having to go do something else with his life from today onwards, this is genuinely unsurpassable. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 248249250251252 469>
  Share Topic