You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rugby Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 246247248249250 469>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 11:34am
the offside / accidental offside issue should never have been one to discuss in the first place. Kieran Read was a good 3 metres ahead of the kicker for the restart. how on earth that wasn't picked up. if this was picked up, then it would have been a scrum to the lions on halfway, a great opportunity to work the ball down the pitch and give Farrell a chance of a drop goal.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 11:45am
Originally posted by alihau41 alihau41 wrote:

the offside / accidental offside issue should never have been one to discuss in the first place. Kieran Read was a good 3 metres ahead of the kicker for the restart. how on earth that wasn't picked up. if this was picked up, then it would have been a scrum to the lions on halfway, a great opportunity to work the ball down the pitch and give Farrell a chance of a drop goal.

That's one thing that confused me why the All Blacks didn't go for a drop goal they had numerous opportunities the scrum being the most obvious one.

Most likely didn't think Barrett could execute it, his kicking for the 3 tests were woeful also the fact they wanted to score a try to win it.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 11:58am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

That's one thing that confused me why the All Blacks didn't go for a drop goal they had numerous opportunities the scrum being the most obvious one.

Most likely didn't think Barrett could execute it, his kicking for the 3 tests were woeful also the fact they wanted to score a try to win it.

The main reason they didn't win the series. 
The ref bottled it but the all blacks know they should have won long before that decision.

Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

The main reason they didn't win the series. 
The ref bottled it but the all blacks know they should have won long before that decision.

He missed so many easy kicks, I defended him before saying he was the best Fly Half in World Rugby but after those 3 tests he has slipped down the list. Brilliant with ball in hand and distribution but some of those kicks he missed Ouch
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 2:22pm
would still say best 10 in world rugby. who would come near?

sexton would be the closest in northern hemisphere. and no one else really in southern hemisphere right now either...
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 2:25pm
I'd rate Sexton and Farrell ahead of him
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 2:34pm
Farrell is a terrible 10. if anything, all he did in the last test was show that he's a top kicker under pressure. his passing is horrendous, he butchered multiple try scoring opportunities from poor decisions across the games he played, his tackling has become nearly non-existent (he missed 5 tackles in last test). I wonder if his old man let him know that.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 3:57pm

Yes, there was plenty other issues surrounding the incident. There was at least two New Zealand players offside at the restart, including Read and if the referee never blows his whistle after Owens lets go of the ball then they are in for an easy try. 
I think all of that is irrelevant though because it is the manner that came to his decision that is the real issue, one being conveniently ignored by the media waving flags for a brilliant series and sport being the winner.
Poite came to the correct decision in real time, went to the big screen and then adjusted the rules to suit the situation. It isn't  the referee making a bad decision, that isn't what leaves a sour taste in the mouth, it is that he very deliberately made a bad decision and one that should leave the integrity of the sport in question. He clearly had a think about it and knew what side his bread was buttered on. It destroyed a month of great rugby.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Yes, there was plenty other issues surrounding the incident. There was at least two New Zealand players offside at the restart, including Read and if the referee never blows his whistle after Owens lets go of the ball then they are in for an easy try. 
I think all of that is irrelevant though because it is the manner that came to his decision that is the real issue, one being conveniently ignored by the media waving flags for a brilliant series and sport being the winner.
Poite came to the correct decision in real time, went to the big screen and then adjusted the rules to suit the situation. It isn't  the referee making a bad decision, that isn't what leaves a sour taste in the mouth, it is that he very deliberately made a bad decision and one that should leave the integrity of the sport in question. He clearly had a think about it and knew what side his bread was buttered on. It destroyed a month of great rugby.

A bit OTT no?
Similar to the Confederations cup final when yer man elbowed the guy in the face and it went to the video review. If its a deliberate elbow it must be a red card. He gets a yellow. I don't think that ruined the whole tournament.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 4:19pm

A bit OTT no?
Similar to the Confederations cup final when yer man elbowed the guy in the face and it went to the video review. If its a deliberate elbow it must be a red card. He gets a yellow. I don't think that ruined the whole tournament.

The Confederations Cup was a farce because of the VAR, it is also completely irrelevant. If the World Cup is going to be like that then I won't be watching.
It might be OTT to others but it absolutely destroyed it as far as I am concerned.  Watching a referee deliberately decide the outcome of a series was pretty awful and, to make it worse, we have the whole media either ignoring it or coming out with whataboutery to excuse it. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 8:24pm
Jackson and Olding to be prosecuted for rape and have been ''stood down" by Ulster.
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 8:37pm

Jackson and Olding to be prosecuted for rape and have been ''stood down" by Ulster.

I just read the Examiner and seen the story . Pretty serious for the club to let them go until the trial is over & it could mean a whole season out of action .

Imagine If Brady and Hendrick were accused of the following.....
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

I just read the Examiner and seen the story . Pretty serious for the club to let them go until the trial is over & it could mean a whole season out of action .

Imagine If Brady and Hendrick were accused of the following.....

Could be longer if found guilty.....
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 12:15pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 1:24pm

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/revealed-irish-provinces-to-be-split-between-two-conferences-in-new-guinness-pro14-35988588.html

Stupid format if you ask me

Is there really a benefit adding in 2 (weak) teams from SA....
Its a 10-12 hour flight and the new format is too complex -. 
Add in the fact they cant qualify for the champions cup.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 1:27pm
Completely bizarre and yet still not surprising. The whole sport never seems to know what it's doing.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 1:31pm
yep it's a stupid decision to let South African teams in alright
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 2:09pm

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/revealed-irish-provinces-to-be-split-between-two-conferences-in-new-guinness-pro14-35988588.html

Stupid format if you ask me
Is there really a benefit adding in 2 (weak) teams from SA....
Its a 10-12 hour flight and the new format is too complex -. 
Add in the fact they cant qualify for the champions cup.
I'll give you a clue, you keep it in a bank.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 246247248249250 469>
  Share Topic