You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rugby Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 229230231232233 470>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

What is more bizarre is the lack of introspective on it from the rugby media, which I suppose shows how the game propels itself. Even in the days of social media and online cranks(irony alert), you find very few dissenting voices from within the game's media or supporters. Most long-term football fans have a gripe without how the game is run, the money, television and sponsorship, FIFA/FAI/UEFA etc. yet rugby has problems too but much less dissent. it is quite clear that the Lions tour is a massive money spinner, especially for the host country but also for the four 'home' unions and the sponsors, but the only person I have seen to highlight this fact is Tipperary's Gerard Meagher in the Guardian last week.

There is constant criticism from the English and French about the structure of European club rugby. They threw the toys out of the pram and negotiated their own tv deal beyond the strictures of the European organisation which controlled the competition, until they got what they wanted, a bigger share of a smaller pot.

That is what the elite clubs in European football threatened on an ongoing basis (setting up a superleague) without ever following through with it. The French and English rugby clubs took the brinksmanship quite a bit further than the football clubs ever did, motivated almost entirely by nothing other than filthy lucre, especially where the reduction in size of the competition did not reduce the number of games played by each club who qualifies.

There was a fair whack of dissent all across the Celtic League nations about that behaviour, and the fact that they were forced to cave as a result of the bully boy behaviour of the big clubs. It is certainly not unique to football, and in certain respects they went further than any football organisation has ever gone.

Now, that's entirely separate from the Lions tour, which I think we can agree doesn't seem to attract the same level of negative voice, but I think that can arguably be put down to the fact rugby does not have the same mass appeal as football. I'd guess the reason that there is little negative said about the Lions is that a number of the more casual rugby fans simply don't care. Football coverage is more all-encompassing and saturating, whereas rugby only attracts mainstream attention a few times a year (Six Nations games, knockout Heineken cup games and the World Cup). Put it like this: the back page of most UK newspapers today will be more concerned with the outcome of last nights Champions League quarter finals, containing no UK teams, than the selection of the Lions squad.
I agree with the last part in particular, especially as football means more to people, no matter how they dress it up.
I think the first point, relating to how rugby in Europe is structured, is very different as it is essentially rugby coming to terms with professionalism. The highest paid players in England and France are on massive contracts with these clubs but they are missing huge chunks of the season, the reason they get these contracts and the reason why people want to go and watch them is down to their international performances. As I mentioned earlier, there is talk of 11 month seasons to spread out games and keep everybody happy with little mention of player burnout. 
It is over 20 years since professionalism and the 2 biggest countries and their leagues are still trying to find a balance, made harder by the fact that most casual fans have little more than a passing interest in the club game.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 10:22pm

What is more bizarre is the lack of introspective on it from the rugby media, which I suppose shows how the game propels itself. Even in the days of social media and online cranks(irony alert), you find very few dissenting voices from within the game's media or supporters. Most long-term football fans have a gripe without how the game is run, the money, television and sponsorship, FIFA/FAI/UEFA etc. yet rugby has problems too but much less dissent. it is quite clear that the Lions tour is a massive money spinner, especially for the host country but also for the four 'home' unions and the sponsors, but the only person I have seen to highlight this fact is Tipperary's Gerard Meagher in the Guardian last week. I added the article below.
 I do find the lack of dissenting voices within the game unusual, especially at a time when players seem to be playing far too much rugby and there are serious health repercussions from that. That very few people are not questioning the need for such a competitive tour , at a time where they are discussing 11 month seasons, it just doesn't sit right.
When there was talk of the 'end of the Lions' ,because of the dawn of professionalism ,it was all about finance, since they have found a way to profit from it it appears the Lions are more integral to rugby than ever, with the word tradition thrown around for good measure.

I would be of the view that it isn't in the slightest bit bizarre at all, it is all quite deliberate and feeds in to a bigger picture narrative, probably best put simply as '' Everything about Rugby is great '', coincidentally, a narrative that would find a lot of favour among the top men in World Rugby, the marketing lads (if they are not one and the same thing) and of course the sponsors. 

Nothing too unusual about that in itself, most on here will at the very least be aware of Sky's promotion of the EPL, where sometimes, they are also in the business of selling us something that isn't actually there. Middlesboro V Hull @ 2pm does not constitute a ''Super Sunday'' for most of us, but yet we are told that is what it is.  The ''best league in the world mate'' attitude of a majority of their pundits & hosts doesn't really stand up to scrutiny either, but to be fair to them, it's an argument they can attempt to make with some little bit of validity. 

Sky football itself is roughly as old as rugby professionalism, and I know football gets far more exposure & coverage, but you wouldn't have to look too far to find dissenting voices to Sky's 'best league in the world' emphasis to their coverage. 

By contrast, nearly nobody in the rugby media goes against whatever the narrative is for any given angle of their sport, the Lions is in the news at the moment, with the ''greatest honour in career'' narrative,  but this past few years, our media have barely refrained themselves from canonising Joe Schmidt for winning a one off exhibition match, I won't get into the whole test/friendly thing here, but will just say any serious rugby supporter would have an awful job convincing me the result would have been the same in a knockout RWC game. That is, if they could convince themselves first.

In previous years, we have had European victories by Leinster & Munster extolled to the high heavens, with full use of military language, while literally only a handful of lads popped up to say '' Eh, some of these French & English lads aren't taking this thing too seriously'' . This too was ignored as our lads were winning. 

The bit I don't get, actually I do get it, but I'm surprised by it, is that the marketing of the game and the marketing of narratives have become so successful that pointing out anything that doesn't fit in with it gets you labels like ''rugby hater''  ''inverse snobbery'' ''jealous of their success'' by the lads who lap it up, the lads who want to be part of the success, and on here, a football forum, yer directed to another thread !!

Yet, I can go over to the childrens section on the ROTW if I was arsed, proclaim the EPL isn't all its cracked up to be, and would have no bother getting a good few lads to agree, those who would disagree wouldn't want a new thread for ya either, they would just disagree. Are all the Egg lads brainwashed to that extent or is it that people don't want to come outside the bubble for a look ?? 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 10:54am
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/lions-tour/10-irish-make-alternative-lions-squad-35638739.html

Decent Team too, but would have to say only Launchbury perhaps Ryan could have been included
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 11:01am
Just reading through the last few pages in regards to the media hype and English and French. Correct in a way that they stood up for themselves which you have to applaud them for I suppose.

I wonder how the Lions tour is seen in France and Italy?  Any French based Ybiggers thoughts?

If there was a 6 Nations select how many of the French and Italian team would be called upon people think?

Parisse for sure but couldn't see anymore Italians picked

As for France- Gourdon had a great 6 Nations , Fickou would probably go too, Speeding or Dulin was versatility would also you'd think be involved 
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 11:32am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Just reading through the last few pages in regards to the media hype and English and French. Correct in a way that they stood up for themselves which you have to applaud them for I suppose.

I wonder how the Lions tour is seen in France and Italy?  Any French based Ybiggers thoughts?

If there was a 6 Nations select how many of the French and Italian team would be called upon people think?

Parisse for sure but couldn't see anymore Italians picked

As for France- Gourdon had a great 6 Nations , Fickou would probably go too, Speeding or Dulin was versatility would also you'd think be involved 

French people don't really care about European rugby as seen in their attendances and don't really bat an eyelid at the lions, so you can take it that they don't care about exclusion from the tour. and Italy is a non-runner.

fickou is overrated, dumb as a plank. wouldn't pick either of spedding or dulin. perhaps fofana would go, as most definitely guirado. probably would pick slimani ahead of sincklair. no one else of note would get in
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 2:39pm
Saracens favourites for today lads?
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Saracens favourites for today lads?

They are .Hcap is 4.

Sarries favs to win it out.
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 2:57pm
Hcap double CA/Sar 3/1
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 3:06pm
Think Munster will beat them, through them in an acca at 13/8. It is a very tight game to call so I would go with the 'home' team.
I would probably prefer Saracens to win, whatever about Irish rugby fans in general the Munster lot are the most nauseating group of sports fans in the world, bar none.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 4:06pm
What a dreadful game, forty minutes of Munster going from side to side and backwards. It is all so predictable and they are really missing Murray today. Can see Saracens possibly getting a couple of tries on the break, can't see Munster scoring one at all.
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 4:54pm
Awful stuff. Really dour crap.
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 4:56pm
Muck.

Munster hugely overrated,Sarries on another level.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Muck.

That Bleyendaal lad is atrocious and Williams little better, nowhere near the level required. Rugby is becoming an awfully dour game to watch though, I found a lot of the six nations hard to watch and today was worse.
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 5:05pm

Muck.

That Bleyendaal lad is atrocious and Williams little better, nowhere near the level required. Rugby is becoming an awfully dour game to watch though, I found a lot of the six nations hard to watch and today was worse.

Have to agree yet all these lads will be talked up constantly by everyone in the media.Every rugby cliché will be thrown about over the next few days to describe what went wrong rather than say they aren't near the level .
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 5:09pm

Muck.

Have to agree yet all these lads will be talked up constantly by everyone in the media.Every rugby cliché will be thrown about over the next few days to describe what went wrong rather than say they aren't near the level .
His decision making is bizarre, what was he trying that drop goal for? He had a few strange kick choices throughout the game too.
d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 5:39pm
Deserved win for Saracens but my god they are a bit grim to watch.

A game to far for Munster who have had a great season but needed everybody 100% fit to win today and were down Murray and had a few other lads who were not at their sharpest from recent injuries.

Hope Leinster get it done tomorrow.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 5:41am

Don't think it will in this case, especially as Rassie Erasmus was blunt enough to say '' we aren't good enough & Saracens are 15-20 points a better team than us''. No doubt that prompted some rewrites among the media cheerleaders who were probably focusing on the ''what went wrong'' angle. 

Speaking of lads that are constantly talked up, was reading a few reports, brought on by Warren Gatland's comments of the Lions No 10 situation; for one reason or another, he said the position was up for grabs. For the last 3 years, if not more, we have been reading in the Irish rugby media that Sexton is in a different class & operating on a far higher level than any other out half, and was a shoo in to start the tests. 

Now, it could well be that Warren is talking up Farrell & Biggar etc & letting them think it isn't a done deal so they perform to the max in any other opportunity they get, but whatever his intention, it has spooked our rugby media, who have all forewarned that all of a sudden, Sexton isn't an automatic Lions starter, which is completely contrary to what they have been saying for 3 years. 

Aside from the facts of his recent injury records (it would be a brave man that would bet on him finishing the tour), is this a case of Warren being a fecking oddball, or maybe Jon/Jonny/Johnny/John/Johnathan isn't quite as far ahead of the competition as our own media have made him out to be ?? I wonder......certainly wouldn't be like our lads to talk up a player into something he isn't (big hello to Jamie Heaslip)

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 3:17pm
Yeah Deise, I haven't looked at the papers but I assume they are all building Saracens up to cover Munster's clear faults.

I hope you took that 3-1 Rossie, Leinster look awful too and in big trouble here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 229230231232233 470>
  Share Topic