You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rugby Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 313314315316317 470>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 6:58am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Ah I know that HF, the main topic of the article is the scheduling of the world rugby calendar and that comment was basically only a very minor, incidental part of the article, but all that said, the VC of world rugby referred to the November test series as friendlies. Which the rugby lads on here have been telling me for years that they most certainly are not. 

I'm not sure who to believe any more & would like some clarity....................

Would you not be able to watch the match and decide for yourself? 

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 7:20am
If you did a test and showed 10 international football matches and let’s say 3 of them were friendlies.
An average person with no knowledge of the game could tell you at HT which matches were friendlies 100% of the time.

In Rugby you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 8:56am
A person with no knowledge of rugby hasn't a f**king notion what is happening though.
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

If you did a test and showed 10 international football matches and let’s say 3 of them were friendlies.
An average person with no knowledge of the game could tell you at HT which matches were friendlies 100% of the time.

Does it matter, isn’t rugby just about the pints before and after anyway?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 9:22am
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Does it matter, isn’t rugby just about the pints before and after anyway?

The game has moved on since then

Women and Charlie are now thrown into the mix 

rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 9:23am

LOLLOLLOL
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 10:13am

Just to save ye reading the article, he says of the November series; ''We don't want friendlies, we want games with an edge''. 
Sounds like he wants a nations league of rugby Clap
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 12:46am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Just to save ye reading the article, he says of the November series; ''We don't want friendlies, we want games with an edge''. 
Sounds like he wants a nations league of rugby Clap

That would be my reading of it too. Its another marketing concept to further the notion that these games matter, maybe have a league table & award a trophy at the end of it. The fact it is being discussed at all would suggest that somewhere out there in World of Egg, there is a realisation that not everybody has proved as malleable as the Irish rugby public to this notion of friendlies being important. Our lads certainly aren't the problem here, WR would love if everyone believed in the concept as much as our crowd do. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 12:52am

Ah I know that HF, the main topic of the article is the scheduling of the world rugby calendar and that comment was basically only a very minor, incidental part of the article, but all that said, the VC of world rugby referred to the November test series as friendlies. Which the rugby lads on here have been telling me for years that they most certainly are not. 

I'm not sure who to believe any more & would like some clarity....................

Would you not be able to watch the match and decide for yourself? 

Not the point. A friendly involving Ireland V South Africa for example, will be far more competitive than a ''competitive'' 6N game V Italy. The bit I take issue with is the significance placed on that victory over South Africa by our fans & rugby media. If & when we beat them in the RWC, fair enough. Other than that, its a friendly (the vice chairman of world rugby said so), so less of the bollixology please. 

Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 4:16am
Deise, just so I know how seriously I should take your opinion on the matter, how many Autumn Ireland games (or friendlies as those with an agenda would call them) have you been to? I'm not after an essay. It's a simple question. A number will do.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 7:44am
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Deise, just so I know how seriously I should take your opinion on the matter, how many Autumn Ireland games (or friendlies as those with an agenda would call them) have you been to? I'm not after an essay. It's a simple question. A number will do.

Has he f**k. 
He wouldn’t waste his money on that bollix. It’s all marketing BS.
He would rather his beloved Manchester United won the league cup than Ireland win the rugby World Cup.
He’s a manc, always has been, always will, it’s in his blood. The best team in the best league in the world.

You are gullible if you believe rugby internationals matter. Brainwashed by the media and silly marketing. 

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 15 Sep 2018 at 9:15am

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 11:25am

You are gullible if you believe rugby internationals matter.
It's not about mattering in a big picture that matters to me tho, it's what matters for the 90/80 minutes. 

I totally agree that Autumn games don't really matter apart from world rankings, but the effort is far more than the Ireland/Oman series (or even the USA/Uruguay games in recent months). 

For someone who watches both sports, 2 hours watching a decent rugby friendly is far more competitive than 2 hours watching a decent football friendly (Ireland V USA/Uruguay)
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 11:32am

What has that got to do with anything apart from a petty dick measuring excercise? Plenty of people's I know very knowledgable on rugby but don't go there games due to cost, doesn't make their opinion less worthy. 

Great game this morning, best in a good while.
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 11:38am
The rugby fans are a little bit defensive this morning LOL

rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 11:39am

Has he f**k. 
He would rather his beloved Manchester United won the league cup than Ireland win the rugby World Cup.
He’s a manc, always has been, always will, it’s in his blood. The best team in the best league in the world.

You are gullible if you believe rugby internationals matter. Brainwashed by the media and silly marketing. 

Cant wait to see Deise's reply to this Big smile
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Has he f**k. 

Cant wait to see Deise's reply to this Big smile
Not sure we’ll have enough space on the serversLOL
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 12:23pm

Has he f**k. 

I've been to exactly zero rugby games ever, but nor am I denigrating those that go to them, friendlies or not.  Seeing I'm only back from attending a distinctly average football friendly in Poland, it would be hypocritical of me to do so. I asked for the opinion of rugby fans on specifically Pichot's description of these games as friendlies, and so far, as regards answering the question, the replies equal the amount of rugby games I have been to. 

Am I to take from your own reply that you believe the vice chairman of world rugby has 'an agenda' too ?
As Shedite points out in another post, it is perfectly reasonable or logical to argue that these games are more enjoyable, or closely fought, than football friendlies, but that wasn't the point of my question either. At least he freely admits these games don't matter outside of the 80 minutes, and that is an unusual admission for a rugby fan in that it goes against the narrative of every single game being more important than the last one. 

ZK, has also decided to deliberately miss the point for a 2nd time in a second attempt at a reply & try drag my opinions on an English EPL team into it. Picked a poor example, as the last EPL game I attended was in 1989,  it wasn't even the EPL back then. I'd have much the same fan relationship with the EPL as I do with Irish rugby in that its really only something I watch on TV here & there. Having said that, no fan of an EPL team will try persuade anyone that the league cup is overly important in the big scheme of things, even if they won it, its a distinction that rugby fans (Shedite apart all on his own seemingly) seem to struggle with. 

Anyway, aside from all that, anyone buying the new Connacht away jersey ? 
http://www.the42.ie/connacht-alternative-kit-launch-4234814-Sep2018/ According to the designers, ''it draws inspiration from the deep Atlantic ocean (presumably as opposed to the shallow part of the Atlantic ocean). Did someone say brainwashed by silly marketing ?? Put me down for 3. 

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 12:29pm

Has he f**k. 

I've been to exactly zero rugby games ever, but nor am I denigrating those that go to them, friendlies or not.  Seeing I'm only back from attending a distinctly average football friendly in Poland, it would be hypocritical of me to do so. I asked for the opinion of rugby fans on specifically Pichot's description of these games as friendlies, and so far, as regards answering the question, the replies equal the amount of rugby games I have been to. 

Am I to take from your own reply that you believe the vice chairman of world rugby has 'an agenda' too ?
As Shedite points out in another post, it is perfectly reasonable or logical to argue that these games are more enjoyable, or closely fought, than football friendlies, but that wasn't the point of my question either. At least he freely admits these games don't matter outside of the 80 minutes, and that is an unusual admission for a rugby fan in that it goes against the narrative of every single game being more important than the last one. 

ZK, has also decided to deliberately miss the point for a 2nd time in a second attempt at a reply & try drag my opinions on an English EPL team into it. Picked a poor example, as the last EPL game I attended was in 1989,  it wasn't even the EPL back then. I'd have much the same fan relationship with the EPL as I do with Irish rugby in that its really only something I watch on TV here & there. Having said that, no fan of an EPL team will try persuade anyone that the league cup is overly important in the big scheme of things, even if they won it, its a distinction that rugby fans (Shedite apart all on his own seemingly) seem to struggle with. 

Anyway, aside from all that, anyone buying the new Connacht away jersey ? 
http://www.the42.ie/connacht-alternative-kit-launch-4234814-Sep2018/ According to the designers, ''it draws inspiration from the deep Atlantic ocean (presumably as opposed to the shallow part of the Atlantic ocean). Did someone say brainwashed by silly marketing ?? Put me down for 3. 

Some Irish fans think MON was/is a brilliant manager on the back of a league cup win with Leicester. 

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 313314315316317 470>
  Share Topic