You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Royal wedding.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 4:50pm
Talk about punching above your weight....
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Devil's advocate on the OP, but is there not a statistic somewhere that due to the economics surrounding the Royal Family, they are actually a net contributor to the UK?
Have heard it mentioned previously but I'm be very sceptical about the figures mentioned. Probably near impossible to prove either way. 
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Devil's advocate on the OP, but is there not a statistic somewhere that due to the economics surrounding the Royal Family, they are actually a net contributor to the UK?
Have heard it mentioned previously but I'm be very sceptical about the figures mentioned. Probably near impossible to prove either way. 

To be fair Royal tourism is huge in London.
London gets 20M tourists per year (more than any city in Europe) but it’s impossible to put a number directly relating to the Royal family.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

London gets 20M tourists per year (more than any city in Europe) but it’s impossible to put a number directly relating to the Royal family.

If the Royals disbanded I'm sure they'd bring in that loot.

Edited by horsebox - 18 May 2018 at 6:03pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 7:42pm
Walked past Hampton Court Palace this afternoon with tourists all over the shop. They certainly pay for themselves but putting a figure on it is near impossible.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Walked past Hampton Court Palace this afternoon with tourists all over the shop. They certainly pay for themselves but putting a figure on it is near impossible.

I'm getting the happy couple a Revolut card as a wedding present.  It will save them 2 euro on their honeymoon.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

I'm getting the happy couple a Revolut card as a wedding present.  It will save them 2 euro on their honeymoon.

Careful TJ....you’d likely get a knighthood for such a gesture 
Lostandfound View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lostandfound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 8:57pm
Was unfortunate enough to catch a few minutes of the forelock tugging on TV3's Ireland AM this morning. Utterly pathetic. It's like the War of Independence never happened.
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 11:11pm
Lead story on Sky News website......

Sky News......BREAKING LIVE........

“Meghan influences royal wedding music”

Well it is her wedding, why is this the lead story on Sky News?
I actually don’t have a problem with the royal wedding, but is this the best they can come up with?
Fox offered Sky News to Disney for approx £11,000,000,000 (that’s eleven BILLION pounds earlier this year).
The world has truly gone mad.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by baresi41 baresi41 wrote:

1981 - Dublin. Charles & Diana married ..

30 years later, Irish people were flooding the streets to get a look at Ze Queen Liz.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 9:33am
What time does this kick off?  I presume there will be live updates on ybig?  As a Lord of the Realm I naturally received an invite but I am having 50 pheasants imported today to put on my land and needed to be here to oversee that.  I did send my apologies to the happy couple.

Edited by Trap junior - 19 May 2018 at 9:59am
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

I always thought that London got more total visitors and Paris got more tourists, either way, considering the French had the correct idea with royalty, it hasn't stopped people wanting to see Paris because of a false image of an otherwise charmless city.

The royals may make Britain money but they also prevent British society from progressing. As long as Britain is run by a family chosen by which vagina they fall out of , it will be a society with little movement between social classes, where people constantly feel they have to know their place and with constant links to an imperial past that they don't accept any blame for.
Sure, more socially advanced Scandinavian nations have royalty, they aren't bound up with the same historical baggage that the Germans and Greeks in Windsor have. I also doubt that homeless people are dragged off the street to make room for an illegitimate Danish royal to marry a bride that has been hand-picked because of her ethnicity and personal history, just to give the veneer of modernising. I suppose it is an improvement on them marrying within the family.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 9:53am
I don't mind so much the people who want to look  at the fashions etc, or those who will use it as an excuse for a booze up. But I find it very hard to understand those who actually feel they are somehow a part of the whole thing. It is a wedding between two people that most of us don't know. Unless you're treating it like a love action version of hello,or an excuse for a few pints, you won't get much time from me. It's not even relevant to the question of succession.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 10:15am
But that is what has always been done with these occasions Hettie, even with the royals themselves. Look at all the old photographs of 'our' prince and 'our' princess. It is designed to make people feel a part of it all, which then sees the pageantry become a valid part of their own existence and means they overlook the faults and history of the family as they feel part of it.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 10:23am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

But that is what has always been done with these occasions Hettie, even with the royals themselves. Look at all the old photographs of 'our' prince and 'our' princess. It is designed to make people feel a part of it all, which then sees the pageantry become a valid part of their own existence and means they overlook the faults and history of the family as they feel part of it.

Oh I totally agree. Remember "The People's Princess" to describe Diana, even though she couldn't be more removed from "the people" if she tried. I just have less contempt for those people who will use the event to have a few beers, rather than those who will blub through the ceremony from their sofa.

TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 10:29am
It's worth watching Kay Burley on sky news  for the laugh. She just interviewed some clown in a paper union jack.
Kay "Have you been dragged along today?"
Random nut "yes"
Kay" where are you from?
random nut "Ireland"
Kay "Oh,are youuuuu!!

Sounded like he was from the west. He should be named and shamed. What a fooking eejit.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 10:57am

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Oh I totally agree. Remember "The People's Princess" to describe Diana, even though she couldn't be more removed from "the people" if she tried. I just have less contempt for those people who will use the event to have a few beers, rather than those who will blub through the ceremony from their sofa.

Nobody gave a f**k about her until she died either!
baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 10:59am
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

It's worth watching Kay Burley on sky news  for the laugh. She just interviewed some clown in a paper union jack.
Kay "Have you been dragged along today?"
Random nut "yes"
Kay" where are you from?
random nut "Ireland"
Kay "Oh,are youuuuu!!

Sounded like he was from the west. He should be named and shamed. What a fooking eejit.

Probably a Mayo ***t**.  It'll be the only thing they'll be celebrating this year, as it won't be an All Ireland winLOL
FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic