You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rock/Metal Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 11:39am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by dundon13 dundon13 wrote:

Here's a link to the New Song. Mark Ronson produces the album which should be interesting. Have to say though, Songs for the Deaf would be my favourite album, and also saw them in '13 aswell, great band live.

Meh, is my only response to that. I presume it is being used on a soundtrack to some 'edgy' tv show and on adverts for Diesel clothes?

It gets a bit more than a meh form me, ive given it a few listens now and its growing on me. Im not aware of it being used on any soundtracks or ads but it wouldnt be the first time some of QOTSA's music had been used on such things.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 11:42am

Here's a link to the New Song. Mark Ronson produces the album which should be interesting. Have to say though, Songs for the Deaf would be my favourite album, and also saw them in '13 aswell, great band live.

Meh, is my only response to that. I presume it is being used on a soundtrack to some 'edgy' tv show and on adverts for Diesel clothes?

It gets a bit more than a meh form me, ive given it a few listens now and its growing on me. Im not aware of it being used on any soundtracks or ads but it wouldnt be the first time some of QOTSA's music had been used on such things.
Kind of what I meant, they are pretty vacuous and just a tad repetitive. 
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 11:50am

Repetitive? Have you listened to much of their stuff?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 11:58am
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

Repetitive? Have you listened to much of their stuff?
Yeah, I think I have listened to all of it as people who share some tastes with would be going on about their latest albums. I do like some of it, 'Songs For The Deaf' is quite a well worked album, I just find all their stuff has the same strain of commercial Americana running through it all and I am not sure that do it all that well. If I am looking for that sort of sound I would rather listen to BRMC, I think they do it much better.
I just find them, well, meh.

Edited by pre Madonna - 16 Jun 2017 at 11:58am
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:12pm
I have to say I find it very strange that someone who has listened to all of their work could consider them to be repetitive. All of their albums are quite different to each other. I can't really think of many of their songs that would be commercial or mainstream either. They have some, I don't deny that, but really very few
dundon13 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:15pm
I was just about to say the same, reptitive is not a word i'd associate with QOTSA. The introduction of Mark Ronson might the band's attempt of becoming more mainstream, but i still think its gonna be a bloody good album, with a great live show to back it up in november.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:27pm

I have to say I find it very strange that someone who has listened to all of their work could consider them to be repetitive. All of their albums are quite different to each other. I can't really think of many of their songs that would be commercial or mainstream either. They have some, I don't deny that, but really very few
I didn't really want to get into a slanging match about a band I neither love nor loathe, and I certainly didn't want to be going through random album tracks to see if my opinion has changed! I just think that every song sounds like it should be on the soundtrack to some awful new soundtrack about US crime gangs or adverts for jeans that involve a model with stubble being 'too cool for school'. 
There is also nothing wrong with being commercial or mainstream, it does jar a bit when they appear to be trying not to be, very much like those jeans adverts. I just feel they are trying to sell you something that isn't really there, it just doesn't seem honest.
I should also add, that while there has been many great rock'n'roll songs written with bad lyrics they seem to think that they were a template.
I have to turn them off now.LOL 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 4:16am
If you don't want to debate it, fair enough. But I seriously cannot understand how someone who claims to have listened to all of their music still maintains that they are repetitive, and mainstream. I listened to 'Era Vulgaris' again today, and it could not be further from the mainstream, or anything that they have released previously, or since then. The same could be said for any album they have released too.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 9:39am

If you don't want to debate it, fair enough. But I seriously cannot understand how someone who claims to have listened to all of their music still maintains that they are repetitive, and mainstream. I listened to 'Era Vulgaris' again today, and it could not be further from the mainstream, or anything that they have released previously, or since then. The same could be said for any album they have released too.
Well I have and I do, it is commercial Americana that isn't done very well; I can't see how that isn't repetitive! I am not saying the released the same album twice, only the Arctic Monkeys can get away with that! Just releasing the same sound, in different ways, that is trying so hard to be 'edgy' but sounds, to my ears at least, so formulaic and, well, boring. It feels like it has all been done before without the critical acclaim, and probably better.

thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Was just asked to recommend a good new Irish rock band. I haven't a clue...thiS person likes Metallica

Any suggestions. Even non Irish if you can't think of any local ones
Primordial
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 2:40pm
Pre-sale code if anyone wants it ;

Your code for Queens Of The Stone Age is B9D774LUA.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 11:20am
Got 2 seated tickets but will try again for standing in the general sale. I'll just sell on the seated ones if I get them. The main thing is that either way I'll be going.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 11:28am
2 of my friends might have spare standing tickets, waiting to hear back from some people. Let me know if you don't manage to pick them up in the general sale, I'll ask if they still need takers for them
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 11:59am
First listen of that QOTSA song. I quite like it! They are playing Manchester one Sat then sisters wedding the following Sat then Mastodon the following Sat. Busiest time of the year at work and I may miss my 2 favourite bands play....or my sister's wedding, we'll see
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 12:32pm

2 of my friends might have spare standing tickets, waiting to hear back from some people. Let me know if you don't manage to pick them up in the general sale, I'll ask if they still need takers for them

Thanks for that but I just got 2 standing tickets through a code that was posted on boards.ie. Sorted!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Thanks for that but I just got 2 standing tickets through a code that was posted on boards.ie. Sorted!

Not a bother lad Thumbs Up

Good luck trying to flog those seating tickets too LOL
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:13pm

Good luck trying to flog those seating tickets too LOL

I won't get too panicked about it. Sure it'll all work itself out
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 1:21am
QOTSA have released a 2nd song from the upcoming album, it's a big improvement from 'The Way You Used To Do' in my opinion. Only 2 weeks away from the album launch too, can't wait. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>
  Share Topic