Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Preston Lads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 1:30pm
Can't see any of them heading home. O'Connor did fine I thought in the few matches he played for Preston, surprised they aren't persevering with him for a while. Boyle is possibly a bit slow for the Championship, a drop to L1 might be best for him.
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 2:07pm

Preston fans don't rate O'Connor one bit and then he only played 3 and half games at Fleetwood. Given he was a Grayson signing and Alex Neil loaned him out after only a few months at the club seems he doesn't rate him either.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 2:25pm
Hard to see how they formed that opinion off a handful of appearances. For a young guy getting thrown in at the deep end, he didn't make any mistakes and looked reasonably composed.

Edited by The O'Shea - 23 Jun 2018 at 2:26pm
We're decent enough..
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 2:30pm
can’t  help but feel Horgan is under appreciated. He would do a great job for a club like Rotherham who have just arrived in the Championship. He’s very effective at creating chances and can provide real composure in the final third
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 3:01pm
Of all of them, Horgan is definitely the pick of the bunch. Undoubtedly he's Championship quality which is something you couldn't say with certainty about the others.
We're decent enough..
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 3:02pm
It's not looking good for O'Connor, 4 appearances in 6 months for a team who finished in bottom half of League 1.
He's the more likely of the lot to go back home.

Horgan would fit in any Championship side outside the top 6.

Doyle did very well for Oldham despite the nasty blood clot related injury, Oldham were seriously desperate for faces so they kept him on despite the injury and got a hat-full of goals, a team aspiring promotion to Championship will surely look at him.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 12:18pm
Neil O'Riordan (usually reliable) reports Horgan is a target for Neil Lennon at Hibernian. It wouldn't be the worst move for him, he would play every week and there would be more managerial stability at Hibs than most championship clubs. That said, he is capable of playing at a higher (championship) standard too, maybe it would be worth his while to consider other offers (if he has any) first. Either way, think the most important thing from an Irish point of view is that he goes somewhere he will be playing & not sitting on bench.

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 1:06pm
Aye by no means a bad move for him. Regular game time and if he gets himself into serious form no reason why he can't be back in the Championship again  eventually 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 5:26pm
PNE fans seem to be impressed with Horgan this preseason. 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 5:34pm
To be fair though they've played two teams from the 7th and 5th tier leagues In England. You'd hoping that your players are impressing against those teams who are also going through pre season. 
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 8:41pm
Horgan is a good player. Hope he gets a chance to prove it
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Fozzy B View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozzy B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 2:25pm
preston up against west ham today. browne and horgan start with burke and maguire on the bench . rice starts for west ham with coventry and cullen as subs
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Fozzy B Fozzy B wrote:

preston up against west ham today. browne and horgan start with burke and maguire on the bench . rice starts for west ham with coventry and cullen as subs

Callum Robinson also on the bench, can’t be forgetting the new Irish man 
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 8:08pm
I fear that the preston manager has converted a promotion chasing squad into a mid table squad at best . I would like to be wrong though with maguire coming back soon
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by Given's zimmerframe Given's zimmerframe wrote:

I fear that the preston manager has converted a promotion chasing squad into a mid table squad at best . I would like to be wrong though with maguire coming back soon

How do you figure that one? Neil led them to a 7th place finish last season, just 2pts off 6th place playoff place in his first season with the club.

Prior to that under Grayson, they'd 2 consecutive 11th placed finishes since being promoted.

Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 10:47pm
its a gut feeling more than anything,  like when he took norwich down I think a different manager might have kept them up. I hope I'm wrong though 
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 11:03pm
Was watching a bit of their game with Stoke last week, the commentator mentioned their whole team had been assembled for €5 million. That isn't usually the type of budget that gets promotion out of the championship. Be great to see the Irish lads there achieve promotion, but realistically, having them playing every week & in good form is probably about as much as we can hope for. 

Any news on Andy Boyle or Kevin O'Connor or where they might be off to ? 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
killer kilbane View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 3:48pm
Great to see Seani back in the squad
And it's come through now to mackay... and it's there
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic