You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The next president of Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Poll Question: Who are you voting for to be the next president of Ireland
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [15.00%]
2 [2.50%]
29 [36.25%]
7 [8.75%]
1 [1.25%]
0 [0.00%]
29 [36.25%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe_Knee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 12:21pm
Voted for Higgins.

Very happy for him. He seemed very genuine in his speeches today too.
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Kerzy what is it with you and Fianna Fail?

Your point above when McGuinness put it to SG about the cheque - McGuinness said he it was a Louth businesss man when in fact it was a Armagh businesss man.

SF were dead right to say bring it up. Because somebody had to expose him for what he really is.
We cant have people with a FF background as President or in power ever again.

I didnt even know that, I was referring to the timeline he proclaimed in relation to collection of the cheque. He said that he collected a cheque when he dropped off a photo after the dinner. It turned out the cheque that Morgan gave to FF was chequed before the event. Gallagher still states that he didnt collect the cheque. I don't see after everything else that came out about him, why he'd lye over this. This was what cost him the election. Of course he could be lyng, but who's to say Morgan wasnt lying from the outset.

Nothing about FF tbh. The 2 times I have been entitled to vote, party politics hasnt influenced my vote. I think there are a lot of good members in FF that are all getting tarnished with the same brish as Bertie, Haughey, Cowen to a lesser extent and the rest of them and I have sympathy for some of them, particularly grassroots members(not trying to sound like SG). 

The reason I voted for Gallagher is mainly because I identified with his message and his enthusiasm and energy for the job and he was using the employment card, suppose it helps that I am a business student. He wasn't using it as a cosy retirement package no matter what anyone says about the size of the salary, unlike some of the others. I dont believe its a job for someone at the end of their carrers as the 2 Marys have shown. 

As I said before I still cant understand how party politics comes into a Presidential election.
Kerzy, he never once backed up how he was going to bring jobs to the country, he stated he was going to go on trade missions....McALeese has being doing this already for years, (he didnt know that though)
The main role is a protector of the constitution, he seems to have absolutely no knowledge of it, and was caught out a number of times on it.
He portrayed himself as a successful businessman when in fact he left his business 'smarthomes' in the mire. Bare in mind he only got the capital to start up smarhomes as a result of a generous grant of 680,000 from enterprise ireland.
The business model for smarthomes, was simply on the crest of the housing boom, with no sustainability after that, the company was in essence 'upmarket electricians'
On dragons den he only made two investments, both were with another dragon, and one of them he drew money out from of his own business to fund the capital.
He made 12,700 last year.
In so far as his business achievements, he would be laughed at in international circles.
He portrayed himself as a community man, yet he charged local GAA clubs 5,000 to fill out grant applications.
Lied about the level of his involvent in fianna fail
Lied when he ended his involvement in fianna fail
He was a bagman for fianna fail
He refused to criticise Fianna Fail for their role in the downfall of the economy

I cant believe anyone let alone 28% (over 500,000) of the electorate swallowed his rubbish, its like they had cotton wool in their ears. if they wanted an independent they should have went with norris who i also believe was a worthy candidate, he has made some real change in the oireachtas.

Edited by Citizen - 29 Oct 2011 at 12:31pm
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 12:39pm
Great post Citizen.  
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 1:42pm
Citizen
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 1:52pm
Citizen,
good post.
tribalarmy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 3:14pm
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 3:39pm
His wife was the bridesmaid at Luke Kellys wedding.  
tribalarmy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 4:56pm
Elf Presidente
IrishPride View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishPride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 5:00pm
Quality Post CitizenClap

Fair play to Michael D for meeting with the gufc team.
Some amount of thugs on that teamLOL
Galway Will Win The 2014 Hurling Championship
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 5:09pm
Just reading the poll above.  We are not a million mile away from the national average other than to say that their is a Sinn Fein bias on this boad and an anti Fianna Fail. Other than that we are fairly reflective of the national poll. 

Michael D did well here
Dana and Mary Davis and Mitchell did crap
and David Norriss did ok. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 8:45pm
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/presidential-election/michael-d-claims-an-overall-victory-in-all-four-provinces-2921072.html

There you go Kerzy.  It was all in Dublin Limerick and Galway Confused

I am well able to read and had seen the results of all constituencies before I made my original post. You are clearly missing or ignoring the point I was making about the contrast of the huge margin of victory in all major cities compared to rural constituencies.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 11:56am
"Higgins won this in Dublin, Cork and Limerick cities where Gallagher suffered badly. Gallagher topped the poll in 6 constituencies and McGuinness 1. Surprised Norris polled so low tbh."

That was your original post.  
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

"Higgins won this in Dublin, Cork and Limerick cities where Gallagher suffered badly. Gallagher topped the poll in 6 constituencies and McGuinness 1. Surprised Norris polled so low tbh."

That was your original post.  

Thought I clarified that comment after but Ill have a go again. I made the comment in relation to the scale of his victory in those places. It would have been physically impossible to claw back the amount of votes he lost there. It ensured there was no contest. Did I not acknowledge that Gallagher only won 6 constituencies (he actually won seven I see from that article)? The comment was made initially to highlight the contrast of voting in rural and urban areas.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 1:06pm
Kerzy, your point is muddled and not clear whatsover.

Higgins won this election on 1st pref and  on transfer in every province and in ever constituency bar 7. 

He just won it by more in Dublin and Galway and limerick.  Now considering he is from Limerick and has lived for many years in Galway that is hardly a suprise. 

Higgins won this in Ireland simple as that.  He wont it overwhelmingly.

You could say that Gallagher did better in rural areas because some people in rural areas are still stuck with voting Fianna Fail. 

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 6:52pm
Congratulations to the mushroomClap

Him and Chuck were the only two that displayed any understanding of the role of President.
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 7:40pm
The fact that Gallagher was out-voted by Higgins in his own area tells you a lot I think. Good luck to Michael D, I think he is the best of a bad bunch. I hope he is up to it, 7 years is too long imo. Five years would be loads.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 8:20pm
the reason for the 7 years is so that it is out of cycle with the lifetime of a dail which his every five years. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
  Share Topic