Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Man City Thread*******

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 385386387388389 509>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 7:39pm
Eric Dier LOL sweet jaysus you haven't even admitted defeat on that one LOL

As for Kane, he isn't anywhere near the player he was a few years ago. I'm not sure how it's even an argument. 
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Take it up with Jose...

As for Kane, he isn't anywhere near the player he was a few years ago. I'm not sure how it's even an argument. 

Er, 27 goals in 31 games, Spurs and England?

Which you might know if you ever actually saw him play live. Still, I suppose you can always make do with this:

1 min 54 secs, away to Dortmund in the Champions League, 05 March 2019: "Harry Kane...  one of Europe's very best, on Europe's biggest stage..."

He likes the Champions League. From Nov.2019: "Harry Kane's double for Tottenham Hotspur against Olympiacos on Tuesday made him the fastest player yet to reach 20 goals in the UEFA Champions League era, making that mark in just 24 games."
https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2634660.html

Still, who needs mere facts, when you've got wild opinions to spare... LOL

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 11:39pm
Well that's that then. Kane is the form player in the world over the last year Clap

That is all.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 2:02am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Jazus, Moleman. You'd better do a swifty back to the Whelan thread. This guy is dragging you around like a rag doll. 

Another hilarious comment Mr Brick. 

The Viper Hans
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 2:15am
Quick, run along now Brick.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 7:26am
@Roberto Baggio is midfielder Matt Smith rated at Man city?

Edited by Double Maxim - 24 Jan 2020 at 7:30am
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 7:50am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

My Lord.
Is that it?

No counter?

Not like you to be so reticent, even when you've been badly shown up.

Or do I mean especially when you've been badly shown up? Wink

Btw, do you want to revive our discussion over "the abysmal Eric Dier"?

You know, the player that Mourinho now seems to rate, as well as Pochettino, Hodgson and Southgate?

Perhaps they should all have a word with you? I'm sure they'd learn from the expertise gained by you from the comfort of your armchair watching MOTD...LOL

You were doing so well up to this point Terri.

Spurs last 6 league games shows how frequently Eric Dier has been used:

Substitute appearance against Norwich
Unused sub against Watford
Unused sub against Liverpool
Not in squad v Southampton
Unused sub against Norwich
Substitute appearance against Brighton

Looks like Mourinho really rates him despite not being able to start in an average midfield.

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 8:46am
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

I haven't heard much about him, so that's probably a no then.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 8:58am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

My Lord.
Is that it?

No counter?

You know, the player that Mourinho now seems to rate, as well as Pochettino, Hodgson and Southgate?

Perhaps they should all have a word with you? I'm sure they'd learn from the expertise gained by you from the comfort of your armchair watching MOTD...LOL

Looks like Mourinho really rates him despite not being able to start in an average midfield.

The current Spurs midfield isn't even average, it's just non existent. Winks is atrocious without the ball, one of the worst midfielders defensively I can remember. Still, Dier cannot get in the team regularly even though his sole job is defensive hatchet man.

On Kane, anyone watching Spurs over the past 18 months will recognise than Kane isn't anywhere near the player he was. I'm not sure how it's even a discussion tbh.

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 9:03am

My Lord.
Is that it?

No counter?

The current Spurs midfield isn't even average, it's just non existent. Winks is atrocious without the ball, one of the worst midfielders defensively I can remember. Still, Dier cannot get in the team regularly even though his sole job is defensive hatchet man.

On Kane, anyone watching Spurs over the past 18 months will recognise than Kane isn't anywhere near the player he was. I'm not sure how it's even a discussion tbh.

Agree
He's not at the level he was at 2 years or 18 months ago, that's for sure.

End discussion or move to Spurs thread

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 24 Jan 2020 at 9:04am
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 9:15am
LOL
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 9:43am
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

He was excellent presenting the official, regulated, original and best World Darts Championship on Eurosport

Great to see a talented presenter like him get such a big gig
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 10:43am

Well that's that then. Kane is the form player in the world over the last year Clap

No, that's not what I'm saying, any more than I'm saying "he's not a patch on the player he was 4 or 5 years ago"

Both are demonstrably idiotic.

Edited by Territorial - 24 Jan 2020 at 10:44am
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 11:15am

You probably aren't aware of the background to this.

During the summer, Dier had to have an operation for a burst appendix. This knackered his immune system, so that even when he recovered his normal strength and fitness, he would train for two or three days then pick up a bug and have to be sent home again. As a result, he's only been able to be used sparingly.

More generally, Dier and Mourinho have history - from 2017: "It is understood Woodward made a bid for the England player – on the instructions of José Mourinho – but Levy knocked it back."
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/11/manchester-united-eric-dier-tottenham-new-bid
And Poch reportedly fell out with the player after he was seen chatting warmly in Portugese to JM after a game at OT which Spurs had just lost:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/4847582/eric-dier-jose-mourinho-pochettino/

Fast forward to this season, where Dier had been very much in-and-out of the Spurs team under Poch. Yet when JM took over, he immediately picked Dier in his first starting line-up, an away victory at WHU. All of which fits in with JM's normal modus operandi. He likes to play two Defensive Midfielders, but doesn't seem to trust those like Ndembele and Winks who like to run with the ball (i.e. risk losing possesiion), meaning his first choices are Dier and Sissoko when fit.

Moreover, JM likes players who are versatile and he's already used Dier at FB, or CB eg on Wednesday evening against Norwich, when he took off Winks for Dier in midfield on 56 mins to protect a 1-0 lead. Then when Norwich equalised, he brought on Gedson (attacking player) for Vertonghen and moved Dier to CB in Vertongen's place.

All of which points to Mourinho being very much a fan of Dier, trust me.

Edited by Territorial - 24 Jan 2020 at 11:18am
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 11:17am
Aren't you counting the days until Mourinho is sacked at Spurs? So why do you put so much faith in his opinion while at the same time wanting him ran out of the club you support?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 11:29am

Aren't you counting the days until Mourinho is sacked at Spurs? So why do you put so much faith in his opinion while at the same time wanting him ran out of the club you support?
Christ, you miss the point like Patrick Bamford misses sitters!

I don't like JM, either for his personality or his chosen style of play. And even if I did like him, after 5 1/2 years of Spurs building an entire club in the image of Pochettino, imo it was horribly misguided to being in "the anti-Poch" and expect immediate results, especially without the big, fat transfer budget which JM normally demands.

But all that's a hell of a long way short of imagining I know more about individual players/tactics than managers who do seem to rate him, like Mourinho. Or Hodgson. Or Pochettino. Or Southgate.

I leave that sort of thing to the armchair experts, who get all the information they need from watching MOTD.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 12:10pm

You probably aren't aware of the background to this.

During the summer, Dier had to have an operation for a burst appendix. This knackered his immune system, so that even when he recovered his normal strength and fitness, he would train for two or three days then pick up a bug and have to be sent home again. As a result, he's only been able to be used sparingly.

More generally, Dier and Mourinho have history - from 2017: "It is understood Woodward made a bid for the England player – on the instructions of José Mourinho – but Levy knocked it back."
And Poch reportedly fell out with the player after he was seen chatting warmly in Portugese to JM after a game at OT which Spurs had just lost:

Fast forward to this season, where Dier had been very much in-and-out of the Spurs team under Poch. Yet when JM took over, he immediately picked Dier in his first starting line-up, an away victory at WHU. All of which fits in with JM's normal modus operandi. He likes to play two Defensive Midfielders, but doesn't seem to trust those like Ndembele and Winks who like to run with the ball (i.e. risk losing possesiion), meaning his first choices are Dier and Sissoko when fit.

Moreover, JM likes players who are versatile and he's already used Dier at FB, or CB eg on Wednesday evening against Norwich, when he took off Winks for Dier in midfield on 56 mins to protect a 1-0 lead. Then when Norwich equalised, he brought on Gedson (attacking player) for Vertonghen and moved Dier to CB in Vertongen's place.

All of which points to Mourinho being very much a fan of Dier, trust me.

3 days after the West Ham game he took Eric Dier off early in the first half against Olympiacos.

It's a strange time to bring up the Eric Dier argument, you should probably wait until he actually does something useful on the pitch though I suspect you could be waiting a while.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 12:29pm

3 days after the West Ham game he took Eric Dier off early in the first half against Olympiacos.

It's a strange time to bring up the Eric Dier argument, you should probably wait until he actually does something useful on the pitch though I suspect you could be waiting a while.

I know. I was at the game. It was clearly tactical.

And if you'd only googled a bit deeper, you'd have seen that after 20 minutes, Spurs were already 2-0 down at home to a poor Olympiakos in a must-win game. So out of the two holding midfielders he had started with (Dier and Winks), Mourinho then took off the more defensive of the two and brought on the attacking Christian Eriksen. He helped inspire Spurs to four goals without reply. (Two of them from a certain H.Kane btw Wink).

So if there are any lessons to be learned from that it is that JM must rate Dier somewhat if he started him ahead of Eriksen in the first place, and that Mourinho's's also prepared to take bold action early, to retrieve a potential disaster, even if it means jettisoning one of his favourite players.

Meanwhile, Dier played the full 90 minutes four days later in a 3-2 win against Bournemouth. Erikssen was an unused sub and Winks came on in the 94th minute, basically to waste time.

I was at that one, too.

Edited by Territorial - 24 Jan 2020 at 12:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 385386387388389 509>
  Share Topic