Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Man City Thread*******

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 352353354355356 509>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 3:37pm

Otamendi was linked with moves away at the end of last season. Its gone quiet on that front last few weeks. If he stays then they probably won't sign another CB, if he goes they will I think. Nathan Ake has been linked in the last few days. Hopefully they stay clear of Maguire and his crazy price tag/wages

Sponsored Links

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

SAND SAND SAND line SAND SAND SAND

Not that I really care as the majority of ****s on this forum seem to congregate on the other thread, so I'll keep my comments to there for now, but why were my last couple of posts deleted on here?
To prevent this thread going the same way. First few comments where lighthearted. Then the football chat started and low and behold in you pop and off it goes. So deleted the last fe, line drawn.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 4:10pm
Fine. Just to note I have very few posts on here like that. Most are from others rising me and I was wondering why mine would be deleted and not others. Anyway we move on...

Well, on this thread at least.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Serious question, can you be defamed on a forum where no one knows you or met you and are only known by your username? I bet there has been a case in the States over it. 

Interesting question. 

I think the key issue would be whether you could prove identification from the posts you have made. The vast majority of good faith posters (non trolls/ re-regs etc) will be open about personal information during the course of their postings. If in combination, it could be proven that what you have posted makes somebody identifiable, I suspect that would be sufficient to satisfy the identification requirement. It would take significantly more time, and the efforts that would take would be significantly greater than if you were posting under your real name, and had willingly disclosed personal information such as your email address on your profile.

In the era of the keyboard warrior, people have to be aware of what they say about other posters and other people. You don’t even need to look at the US Courts to see that the internet, and the relative anonymity it provides, will not save you from actions being taken. And, there are mechanisms through which Courts can order information be disclosed in circumstances where breaches of laws such as defamation have occurred.

Say for example Dublin Doc, (he works for the FAI btw)- no one has met him though so we don't know his name/email etc and he has never revealed it. 

How could someone defame a hidden identity like that? 

I would imagine in that Second Life World there is examples of defamation on that going to courts in the real world 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 4:18pm
This thread went about 1 page talking about football before it went off topic again.

Well done LOL

Edited by coyne - 05 Jul 2019 at 4:19pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 4:32pm
The first point would be the defamatory statement. At that point, the onus is on the defamed party to prove that they were identified, and depending on how upfront somebody has been about their real life persona, the identification will be based on that.

If somebody has been exceptionally careful i.e never identified ANY personal information, kept their posts entirely to fact and opinion, spoke exclusively on matters pertaining to football, and never mentioned a single characteristic about their real life, then identification would be very difficult to occur. Otherwise people often mention things like their preferences, their experiences, their occupations, where they live and what they do over the course of their postings. In combination, this can give rise to easier identification. At that point, if it can be proven that the poster is identifiable by way of witnesses, or direct evidence from the defamed, then that could potentially satisfy the requirement.

Now this is just me working this over in my head, as it is an interesting question, but the law would be made an ass of,
If people were free to defame based on the use of usernames.

Edited by Het-field - 05 Jul 2019 at 4:33pm
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 4:42pm

The first point would be the defamatory statement. At that point, the onus is on the defamed party to prove that they were identified, and depending on how upfront somebody has been about their real life persona, the identification will be based on that.

If somebody has been exceptionally careful i.e never identified ANY personal information, kept their posts entirely to fact and opinion, spoke exclusively on matters pertaining to football, and never mentioned a single characteristic about their real life, then identification would be very difficult to occur. Otherwise people often mention things like their preferences, their experiences, their occupations, where they live and what they do over the course of their postings. In combination, this can give rise to easier identification. At that point, if it can be proven that the poster is identifiable by way of witnesses, or direct evidence from the defamed, then that could potentially satisfy the requirement.

Now this is just me working this over in my head, as it is an interesting question, but the law would be made an ass of,

So assuming a defamed poster were to be identifiable, as you suggest, what level of damages do you think would follow from one prat calling another prat a "prat", on a free-to-use internet football forum?

I'm thinking, maybe, a Euro?

Or two, if the judge was also a prat? Wink
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 4:44pm
So what you lads are is saying is that I could be due monies for defamation?
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

So assuming a defamed poster were to be identifiable, as you suggest, what level of damages do you think would follow from one prat calling another prat a "prat", on a free-to-use internet football forum?

Given that the defendant could use the other thread to prove the pratishness of the characters involved, I'm fairly sure the case would be thrown out. 
El Puto Amo
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 4:47pm
So you're now saying I wouldn't be due monies for being defamed?
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 4:48pm

Well, while calling somebody a prat is probably not defamatory, the damages would depend on the statement, the republication, and various other factors. It wouldn’t be significant damages, but it would be actionable.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Fine. Just to note I have very few posts on here like that. Most are from others rising me and I was wondering why mine would be deleted and not others. Anyway we move on...

Well, on this thread at least.
You obviously didn't read all the posts as about half of those I deleted were yours and the rest from 2 other posters. It wasn’t just your posts I deleted, thats just lies. 

Now, as you say, we move on.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 5:34pm
My bad Sham. Only seen the my last couple of posts that were deleted. Anywho, back to business.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 5:57pm

Serious question, can you be defamed on a forum where no one knows you or met you and are only known by your username? I bet there has been a case in the States over it. 

Interesting question. 

I think the key issue would be whether you could prove identification from the posts you have made. The vast majority of good faith posters (non trolls/ re-regs etc) will be open about personal information during the course of their postings. If in combination, it could be proven that what you have posted makes somebody identifiable, I suspect that would be sufficient to satisfy the identification requirement. It would take significantly more time, and the efforts that would take would be significantly greater than if you were posting under your real name, and had willingly disclosed personal information such as your email address on your profile.

In the era of the keyboard warrior, people have to be aware of what they say about other posters and other people. You don’t even need to look at the US Courts to see that the internet, and the relative anonymity it provides, will not save you from actions being taken. And, there are mechanisms through which Courts can order information be disclosed in circumstances where breaches of laws such as defamation have occurred.

Say for example Dublin Doc, (he works for the FAI btw)- no one has met him though so we don't know his name/email etc and he has never revealed it. 

I would imagine in that Second Life World there is examples of defamation on that going to courts in the real world 
Bob,

You’ve mentioned this before, do you seriously believe that Dub Doc works for the FAI? I’d be fckin amazed if that was true.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 6:04pm

Well, while calling somebody a prat is probably not defamatory, the damages would depend on the statement, the republication, and various other factors. It wouldn’t be significant damages, but it would be actionable.

Right, so we could be in for as much as the price of a pint?

I'll get my lawyer, Waldorf T Flywheel, senior partner of Flywheel, Shyster & Flywheel, on the case rightaway:

Edited by Territorial - 05 Jul 2019 at 6:04pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 6:11pm
Dublin Doc works for the FAI LOL

Is his queer wan the wan who shan't be named on Ybig?
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Interesting question. 

Bob,

You’ve mentioned this before, do you seriously believe that Dub Doc works for the FAI? I’d be fckin amazed if that was true.

LOL

He's as much a doctor as he is an FAI employee. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 6:26pm

Right, so we could be in for as much as the price of a pint?

I'll get my lawyer, Waldorf T Flywheel, senior partner of Flywheel, Shyster & Flywheel, on the case rightaway:

What absolute twaddle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 352353354355356 509>
  Share Topic