You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Irish economy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Why are Saudis investing in Waterford? 

I was thinking the very same thing.
i) They've heard it's in the Sunni South-East.
ii) They've heard that Waterford has recently produced a dictator who fancies himself as a player on the international stage but doesn't tolerate free speech at home and has anybody who challenges him removed and brutally dealt with. They like that.
iii) They've heard of the hurler Tadhg De Burqa, and seen how the rest of their hurlers cover up their faces, and have somehow extrapolated from this that Waterford is a hotbed of Islamic extremism.

LOL
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 12:45pm
Id say we are heading for the peak in the next 12 months and then a period of static before she tumbles again . Talking to different people in different areas from B2B to retail and a lot are struggling with higher wages , rents , taxes . Hell of a lot of money being borrowed again for houses but even cars . Had a meeting with someone the other day from the energy sector and had expected him to arrive in a van but he arrived in a 181 Merc . No more than 40 y/o and spinnig around in a merc.  Signs of previous dangerous decsions starting to pop up more frequently
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

Id say we are heading for the peak in the next 12 months and then a period of static before she tumbles again . Talking to different people in different areas from B2B to retail and a lot are struggling with higher wages , rents , taxes . Hell of a lot of money being borrowed again for houses but even cars . Had a meeting with someone the other day from the energy sector and had expected him to arrive in a van but he arrived in a 181 Merc . No more than 40 y/o and spinnig around in a merc.  Signs of previous dangerous decsions starting to pop up more frequently

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you Butchy but why would a 40 year old driving a Merc surprise you?If you don't know his background outside of working in the energy sector then I'm not sure if this is the best bell weather of a nations economic health. 
El Puto Amo
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 2:08pm
Random Man drives nice car the booms back
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 2:16pm

Wouldn't disagree Butch. The only thing up in the air is the timing.

"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Wouldn't disagree Butch. The only thing up in the air is the timing.

McWilliams is a bit like Sybil Trelawney, he managed to predict 9 of the last 1 recessions. 
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you Butchy but why would a 40 year old driving a Merc surprise you?If you don't know his background outside of working in the energy sector then I'm not sure if this is the best bell weather of a nations economic health. 
I wont go into too much detail of his position but he borrowed heavily for it . This is where all the trouble began the last time . People thinking they have more money than they have and spending well beyond their means

Edited by Butch - 09 May 2018 at 2:50pm
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 2:49pm

Fair enough. People being able to borrow well beyond their means is not a good sign alright
El Puto Amo
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 3:51pm
The banks are not lending recklessly to buy gaffs
Our economy is tied heavily into the global economy, when that sh*ts the knickers we follow through

I'd say Brexit is far more likely to be our next downturn, and even with that I doubt it would be anything like the last disatser of a recession
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Our economy is tied heavily into the global economy, when that sh*ts the knickers we follow through

I'd say Brexit is far more likely to be our next downturn, and even with that I doubt it would be anything like the last disatser of a recession

But are the banks set to increase interest rates soon ? That will put a strain on ypung families who have only got onto the property ladder . Some of my mates have recently bought houses and had kids and are finding it tough . Childcare prices are scary . Brexit will certainly have its problems for us and I have seen it in some situations where Marks and Spencers will only take product X for their southern stores and wont use the same supplier for the uk shops 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 4:35pm

But are the banks set to increase interest rates soon ? 
They've been saying that since ECB rate hit 1% in 2011, still no sign of an increase
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

They've been saying that since ECB rate hit 1% in 2011, still no sign of an increase

That would give you more reason for concern that rates have been stagnant for 7 years
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 4:58pm

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

That would give you more reason for concern that rates have been stagnant for 7 years
The ECB rate has been reducing in that time, currently 0.05%, bank rates are similarly reducing.

Banks have far too much money these days, they're dying to lend, no use to them to have money sitting in savings accounts if they can't use it.

If they raise interest rates, they'll lose customers.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 7:19pm
Roll on another recession. Had to get me house valued there last month and taking out the work I put into me house I bought in 2013 and its valued at 61% more than I paid.

Position myself to buy a second home to upgrade to in the next crash and then rent out the 1st house is something I have one eye on. 

Only thing that affected me in the last recession was one year I didn't get a pay rise. 
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Roll on another recession. Had to get me house valued there last month and taking out the work I put into me house I bought in 2013 and its valued at 61% more than I paid.

Position myself to buy a second home to upgrade to in the next crash and then rent out the 1st house is something I have one eye on. 

Only thing that affected me in the last recession was one year I didn't get a pay rise. 

Last recession didnt effect me too much . I dont think we will ever see houses as cheap as they were back a couple of years ago . I advised a couple on buying a house at the time for 299k in the recession . Both good jobs and approved for 450k mortgage . They said they would wait and went for a different property . They paid near 300k for the
the house they are in now . The other house recently sold for 550k that they didnt go for . Their own house now is worth 375k . If they had of went with what I had advised them they would have 125k lwft to pay off 
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 10:56pm

I wont go into too much detail of his position but he borrowed heavily for it . This is where all the trouble began the last time . People thinking they have more money than they have and spending well beyond their means
How do you know he borrowed heavily for it considering you didn’t even know he had the car before your meeting? I wouldn’t be disclosing personal financial circumstances with business acquaintances and don’t know anyone who would.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

How do you know he borrowed heavily for it considering you didn’t even know he had the car before your meeting? I wouldn’t be disclosing personal financial circumstances with business acquaintances and don’t know anyone who would.

After I met him i had another meeting with a contractor and he asked did you meet Simon (merc) I said i did and i said that is some car ... his reply was yea f**k borrowing a heap of money to spin around in a nice car 
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 12:06am
Definitely seeing elements of the boom creeping back in with some of my mates. The bank lending restrictions on mortgages has been fantastic, but a lot of new flash cars floating about with big loans behind them.

I don't believe we'll see a recession of the same levels of the previous one, but all it takes is for a few companies to pull out of Dublin or downsize in a short period of time, i.e. 750 jobs in Eircom, BOI and Ulster Bank closing huge proportion of their banks, etc. and we could start to see some carnage.

Taking Eircom as the example, that's potentially 750 families impacted. It's also a hell of a lot less people buying coffee, lunch, cigarettes, around the local cafes and shops which has a further effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
  Share Topic