You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Irish economy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Hill 16 on tour Cool The city that fought on empire is going on a nationwide roadshow 

I see Cork had a full re-enactment this year as everyone stayed at home again. 
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

David McWilliams was on about it on his podcast a few weeks ago. The difference here between now and 2008 is:

Banks still want to lend
Household debt is far lower
Money hasn't disappeared so demand will still exist 

I think tourism and hospitality could rebound fairly quickly. But certainly a hard period ahead 
I think tourism may take a while. A lot of people will be cautious about travelling and it will be a very uncertain time for airlines. 
In saying that, I think a lot more people will holiday domestically over the next few years too, which will soften some of the blow.
For sure. I go to Spain every year for 3-4 weeks. Take the car and visit a few different places. Will definitely stay in Ireland this year and probably next year also. Hopefully will be able to get a week in West Cork in August if things improve here.
Friends booked a weekend in Waterford in late August a month or so back , now a couple of days ago the hotel got back to them saying that the hotel will be closed due to the virus .Confused
A lot of hotels have been block booked by the government as isolation centres. CityWest hotel booked till 31st Dec. 
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 11:43pm

David McWilliams was on about it on his podcast a few weeks ago. The difference here between now and 2008 is:

Banks still want to lend

I think tourism and hospitality could rebound fairly quickly. But certainly a hard period ahead 
I think tourism may take a while. A lot of people will be cautious about travelling and it will be a very uncertain time for airlines. 
In saying that, I think a lot more people will holiday domestically over the next few years too, which will soften some of the blow.

Wouldn't be as sure on the tourism, yep it will take a long while to get back to the beach resorts and hundreds of people staying in large hotels, but other than that, think it will get going relatively easily (though slowly) a few months down the road. 

There will be stuff like C19 tests in airports and health screening & wearing masks on planes or some such, and airports will become even more of a pain in the hole, but for those prepared to put up with the hassle, they will probably have some choice as to where to go, albeit nothing like what they had up to this point. At the moment, it probably depends on seeing how those countries beginning to slowly open up again fare out in a few weeks time, or a few months time, if successful, that could be the start of opening some borders and allowing a limited number of flights. 

Mick Ruinair reckons there will be a price war and heavily discounted flights to encourage people to start travelling again. Price war with who I'm not quite sure, he might not have anyone left to fight with.  Just thought it was an interesting opinion, whether anyone likes him or not, he doesn't seem to see things like other people do and has something of a track record on calling most things relating to the travel industry correctly. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
brianie View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Banks still want to lend

For sure. I go to Spain every year for 3-4 weeks. Take the car and visit a few different places. Will definitely stay in Ireland this year and probably next year also. Hopefully will be able to get a week in West Cork in August if things improve here.
Friends booked a weekend in Waterford in late August a month or so back , now a couple of days ago the hotel got back to them saying that the hotel will be closed due to the virus .Confused
Why?

Edited by brianie - 17 Apr 2020 at 11:49pm
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 2:08pm
Could we see the price of pints go down?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Banks still want to lend

Wouldn't be as sure on the tourism, yep it will take a long while to get back to the beach resorts and hundreds of people staying in large hotels, but other than that, think it will get going relatively easily (though slowly) a few months down the road. 

There will be stuff like C19 tests in airports and health screening & wearing masks on planes or some such, and airports will become even more of a pain in the hole, but for those prepared to put up with the hassle, they will probably have some choice as to where to go, albeit nothing like what they had up to this point. At the moment, it probably depends on seeing how those countries beginning to slowly open up again fare out in a few weeks time, or a few months time, if successful, that could be the start of opening some borders and allowing a limited number of flights. 

Mick Ruinair reckons there will be a price war and heavily discounted flights to encourage people to start travelling again. Price war with who I'm not quite sure, he might not have anyone left to fight with.  Just thought it was an interesting opinion, whether anyone likes him or not, he doesn't seem to see things like other people do and has something of a track record on calling most things relating to the travel industry correctly. 

It will definitely get going, but it will take longer than a few months. Also, given the number of airlines who may not recover etc., it may well be a sellers' market.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

The one thing that should be agreed on, across the political spectrum, after all this is that there is a value in community. Pubs are the heartbeat of communities and have been for some time, the tax on beer in pubs should go down and increase.

Likewise, I hope publicans, brewers and pub companies realise the responsibility a pub has in its community, something many have been taking for granted for a long time. Surely this makes them realise that it is very much a 'two-way street.'
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 2:33pm

I predict the other way. Social disancing will reduce capacity in pubs, but they'll still need to pay wages/rent/suppliers
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

I predict the other way. Social disancing will reduce capacity in pubs, but they'll still need to pay wages/rent/suppliers
Social distancing isn't possible when people have alcohol consumed, it would take an awful lot to police social distancing in pubs.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 2:45pm
You would have to leave people in two at a time. Pubs will be the last places to open, you can't have pubs open and social distancing. It is a contradiction in terms.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 2:59pm
Totally agree PM based on the european culture.  However in the US they often operate a model in many pubs esp NY were you are assigned to your table and you have a server who gets you drinks etc.   

Could be possible using this model to have assigned seating like a restaurant where people are apart and either on their own or with their friends or family. 

Buts is probably a good bit away yet. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Totally agree PM based on the european culture.  However in the US they often operate a model in many pubs esp NY were you are assigned to your table and you have a server who gets you drinks etc.   

Could be possible using this model to have assigned seating like a restaurant where people are apart and either on their own or with their friends or family. 

Yeah, you have that in places everywhere, but it is sh*te and they aren’t pubs. I would rather stay at home. 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 3:04pm

Yeah, you have that in places everywhere, but it is sh*te and they aren’t pubs. I would rather stay at home. 
Yeah Sounds horrific! 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Yeah Sounds horrific! 
Defeats the whole point! 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 3:09pm

Yeah Sounds horrific! 

Yeah it doesnt encourage random chatting but I know in New York that females like it as they dont get the coppers shift as a result.  They can sit on their own if they like and enjoy a drink.  I dont think it fits with irish culture anyway.  But if you are an pub owner you would.rather this than your pub closed. 
AKA pedantic kunt
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 3:43pm
Not a snowballs chance in hell will this happen in Irish locals LOL
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 4:45pm
Time to convert the shed into a speakeasy and just make sure to not invite Gazza 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 6:04pm

Yeah Sounds horrific! 

That’s very common in Canada.

We were told to Q up in a bar that looked empty. They said it was seating only. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
  Share Topic