You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Housing Market

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 5:50pm
The Bronze in action 

AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 6:06pm
Loves an auld edited post does Trig
@AntrimMan85
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

I wonder is he an editor alas he will never tell us his profession 
AKA pedantic kunt
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

I wonder is he an editor alas he will never tell us his profession 

At least he's not a fireman. Those feckin fireman. They've got it coming ya know.
@AntrimMan85
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 2:25am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

The applicants' type of employment is pretty relevant to a discussion about applying for a mortgage I would have thought. Strange thing to get hung up on.
Well apart from shamtheram and he only just said he has a good job nobody else mentioned the exact type of job they do so it’s not really relevant in my view. On the housing issue itself there was always a housing problem in this country but it’s only now we’re hearing more about it because a lot of middle class people their children can’t afford to get a house and the self entitlement of these people is starting to show now and you really see it on ybig.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 15 May 2021 at 2:26am
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 2:39am
Jaysus trig. What do you consider middle class?

In Dublin, regular working people are having to live at home with parents longer and longer, even if they have a fairly good job. Maybe have a chance of getting an apartment in a concrete jungle out in citywest or blanch and and kind of stuck with something like that unless they get with someone who also makes a half decent wage then they might just get something with a bit of a garden near public transport. 

There is no east answer but one of the first things the government can do is start charging the f**king vultures taxes so its not as attractive to come in and with support of financial companies shore up the market. We have demand of housing now we don't need the vultures. 
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 2:50am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

In Dublin, regular working people are having to live at home with parents longer and longer, even if they have a fairly good job. Maybe have a chance of getting an apartment in a concrete jungle out in citywest or blanch and and kind of stuck with something like that unless they get with someone who also makes a half decent wage then they might just get something with a bit of a garden near public transport. 

There is no east answer but one of the first things the government can do is start charging the f**king vultures taxes so its not as attractive to come in and with support of financial companies shore up the market. We have demand of housing now we don't need the vultures. 
It was only in the Sunday paper last week about middle class families using savings and pensions some of which was close to €150,000 to help their children buy houses in the same area as them! This is also driving up prices and affecting normal working class people who just can’t compete with that.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 15 May 2021 at 2:51am
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 7:34am

There is no east answer 

Yes there is. Get the f**k out of Dublin and move somewhere nice Clap
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 8:06am

Andy that's been like that forever. My inlaws bought a gaff in Santry in the 80's - it was fields all around, probably equivilent to buying in Citywest back in the day. These things settle down, build up around them. With a population rising, there's no physical way everyone can get a house near their parents.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 9:13am
so much sh*te talk here.  Of course there is a housing issue and it is different to before and it does hit the middle classes more than it did before but that’s the very definition of a housing problem when people who have well paid jobs cannot buy a house either in a couple or esp as single people.  It was always hard to buy a house and you had to save and interest rates were high but a mixture of unemployment high interest rates emigration and single income families meant that house prices did not see huge growth until the 90s and the 00s.  If a couple of a combined income of 100k struggle to buy a house now due to high rents and high house prices what chance does someone on the average wage of 38k have on their own.  That is a housing crisis.  So the tone of having a pop at “middle” class families moaning about the housing issue is a load of rubbish because it’s all connected.  It was always tough to buy a house,  now it’s down right impossible for many people and the renting situation is a disaster too. Greater regional spread of jobs and remote working is a partial solution to this but individually that works for some but it won’t for many esp people who work in jobs tied to Dublin such as a teacher or a bus driver or whatever it may be.  

Edited by Baldrick - 15 May 2021 at 9:14am
AKA pedantic kunt
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 9:37am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

There is no east answer 

Yes there is. Get the f**k out of Dublin and move somewhere nice Clap

Going west, north or south of Dublin isn't an east answer... 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 9:37am
Hey us culchies have buses and schools too you know Big smile

Putting aside my crap humour  it's stating the obvious by saying its a supply and demand issue. What it takes is political will to solve the issue. It isn't rocket science but for whatever reason the government seem unable or worse unwilling to tackle it and as a result they'll pay the price at the next election. 

Edited by colemanY2K - 15 May 2021 at 9:39am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 9:44am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Putting aside my crap humour  it's stating the obvious by saying its a supply and demand issue. What it takes is political will to solve the issue. It isn't rocket science but for whatever reason the government seem unable or worse unwilling to tackle it and as a result they'll pay the price at the next election. 

It's not.

It's about vulture funds getting tax breaks and buying most if not all of the available property.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 9:52am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

It's not.

It's about vulture funds getting tax breaks and buying most if not all of the available property.

4% of properties are owned by these funds.  There was a housing crisis before they arrived and there will be one if they leave.  It is a supply issue as not enough houses haven been built since 2011 and now that supply is being constrained by entry to the market of such funds into buying already completed houses. Big issue is new apartments which are being built and bought by these funds. Anyone who thinks this is a recent event and will be solved by removing this issue has not been following this.  There are many small factors but the biggest factor is lack of supply in the right areas.  The lack of supply is for many reasons,  cost or land, cost of debt, cost of building etc etc and developers and builders margins. 

Edited by Baldrick - 15 May 2021 at 9:54am
AKA pedantic kunt
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 10:32am
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Myself and the fiancée plan to move to Donegal in the near future. We both have permanent jobs in Dublin, herself as a vet and me as a teacher. Would we be able to get a mortgage on the proviso that we currently are in permanent  jobs in Dublin or would we have to show that we have permanent jobs lined up closer to home? She'd be ok picking up one but a permanent contract for me right away would be nigh on impossible but I would be able to get a fixed term/temporary one alright. 
Not sure why you felt the need to tell us exactly what the two of you do for a living tbh.

It might help me as someone that is giving advice might have been in a similar boat or knew someone doing something similar... Sorry if I made you feel vexed....it was a fairly scumbaggy thing to write alright. Except my humblest apologies

Your job couldn't be any more relevant to the question you asked LOL

Teachers and firemen have long been on Trig's hitlist. We can add vets to the list too now I suppose.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 10:32am
The last census showed that there were approximately 250,000 vacant dwellings in Ireland. Many of these will be in a dilapidated state and I can't understand why the government aren't CPO'ing all of these and redeveloping them for social housing.

Banning airbnb will address the lack of rental properties, as Covid has shown. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

The last census showed that there were approximately 250,000 vacant dwellings in Ireland. Many of these will be in a dilapidated state and I can't understand why the government aren't CPO'ing all of these and redeveloping them for social housing.

Banning airbnb will address the lack of rental properties, as Covid has shown. 

Where are the vacant properties though.  No much good if they are stuck up a mountain or in a very remote area.  
AKA pedantic kunt
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 11:18am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Myself and the fiancée plan to move to Donegal in the near future. We both have permanent jobs in Dublin, herself as a vet and me as a teacher. Would we be able to get a mortgage on the proviso that we currently are in permanent  jobs in Dublin or would we have to show that we have permanent jobs lined up closer to home? She'd be ok picking up one but a permanent contract for me right away would be nigh on impossible but I would be able to get a fixed term/temporary one alright. 
Not sure why you felt the need to tell us exactly what the two of you do for a living tbh.

It might help me as someone that is giving advice might have been in a similar boat or knew someone doing something similar... Sorry if I made you feel vexed....it was a fairly scumbaggy thing to write alright. Except my humblest apologies

Your job couldn't be any more relevant to the question you asked LOL

Teachers and firemen have long been on Trig's hitlist. We can add vets to the list too now I suppose.

This fella has a serious chip on his shoulder. Some deeply rooted resentment for some bizarre reason LOL
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic