You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Housing Market

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Yeah the past year has been a disaster for people house hunting. Construction slowdown reduced supply, and people saving more boosted demand. 

I know it’s tough to do but if ya can sit it out another year this temporary spike should resolve a bit

Seems a strange post when you replied asking me what was wrong with the housing market? 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 7:56pm
https://www.daft.ie/for-rent/house-3-bed-townhouses-opus-6-hanover-quay-hanover-quay-dublin-2/1442728

4k a month LOL

Unbelievable. I'm sure there are a lot more expensive, it was just the first google search I did.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 7:59pm
Q:\ How does the affordable housing work?

Do you pay rent back on the property per month? 
or
Do you own it? and pay back a % similar to a mortgage.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

https://www.daft.ie/for-rent/house-3-bed-townhouses-opus-6-hanover-quay-hanover-quay-dublin-2/1442728

4k a month LOL

Unbelievable. I'm sure there are a lot more expensive, it was just the first google search I did.

Yeah but El Principle is only paying rent of €48k a year.
The landlord had to buy the house for €600k.

Do the maths, €48k is less than €600k
The tenants are getting the better deal. 

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 8:19pm
This came up before too. Nice to give the house to family when you croak it. 

“Hello Mr Landlord, can I hang a picture on the wall”

f**k that 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 8:31pm
I think most who have bought homes had a very hard time when they started off .
We built in the boom years and it was the hardest thing i have ever done in my life time , saved for years and had to deal with builders and excusses every day . 
When we got our morgage after a down payment we has €26 left in the bank to last until pay day .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 8:48pm

Why will everything be fine in a year?

Well we're not gonna get our dream house for 300k, but the current backlog will have cleared a bit anyway
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

No doubt this will spell the end for the current government but you cant help but feel that there is now enough noise being made that something might be done.

What a joke of a country Thumbs Down
What's wrong with the housing market now? Are you talking about the funds buying estates?

A myriad of issues. Mainly unaffordability and yes, the vultures. 
Have we ever been happy with the "affordability" of houses? There's clips from the 70's of people arguing about the cost of housing. SF blocking every proposed council development so they can claim "the government is building nothing " is the main blocker from development at the moment as I see it
They really really aren’t. 
What they are blocking is the handing over of public land to private developers in exchange for 20% “public housing” 
That big plot of land up in Clonshaugh up next to where I work, residents were crying out for houses to be built, in an area with a lot of SF voters. SF councillors who were also locals, decided at the last minute to not listen to their neighbours and voters, and to vote against the proposals. A lot of people feel the orders came from up high. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 8:52pm

Yeah the past year has been a disaster for people house hunting. Construction slowdown reduced supply, and people saving more boosted demand. 

I know it’s tough to do but if ya can sit it out another year this temporary spike should resolve a bit
Seems a strange post when you replied asking me what was wrong with the housing market? 
My reply to you wasn't asking what was wrong, it was more what made you post it today. Property Market has been crazy for a long time now. Sorry by your original post I assumed there was some story breaking today or something
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 9:15pm

Well we're not gonna get our dream house for 300k, but the current backlog will have cleared a bit anyway

But the backlog is hoovered up by vulture funds. What's the issue.

Whole estates just been given to these associations.

I have to check this but I recall approx 25k homes in around D13 and beyond none of these were available to the general public.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 9:21pm

But the backlog is hoovered up by vulture funds. What's the issue.

Whole estates just been given to these associations.

I have to check this but I recall approx 25k homes in around D13 and beyond none of these were available to the general public.

Non residents can’t buy houses in NZ.
It won’t solve all the problems but I think this is a good start.

nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

No doubt this will spell the end for the current government but you cant help but feel that there is now enough noise being made that something might be done.

What a joke of a country Thumbs Down
What's wrong with the housing market now? Are you talking about the funds buying estates?

A myriad of issues. Mainly unaffordability and yes, the vultures. 
Have we ever been happy with the "affordability" of houses? There's clips from the 70's of people arguing about the cost of housing. SF blocking every proposed council development so they can claim "the government is building nothing " is the main blocker from development at the moment as I see it
They really really aren’t. 
What they are blocking is the handing over of public land to private developers in exchange for 20% “public housing” 

Oscar Traynor was 50% affordable and social, that's a good mix. Was a good proposal, should've been voted through.

Haven't come across the 20% thing, have you a link? 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 9:58pm
I wonder will the greater access to remote working allow
for more people working and living outside Dublin. In addition will
It free up office space in central Dublin for apartments and homes.  
AKA pedantic kunt
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 10:14pm
Myself and the fiancée plan to move to Donegal in the near future. We both have permanent jobs in Dublin, herself as a vet and me as a teacher. Would we be able to get a mortgage on the proviso that we currently are in permanent  jobs in Dublin or would we have to show that we have permanent jobs lined up closer to home? She'd be ok picking up one but a permanent contract for me right away would be nigh on impossible but I would be able to get a fixed term/temporary one alright. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Myself and the fiancée plan to move to Donegal in the near future. We both have permanent jobs in Dublin, herself as a vet and me as a teacher. Would we be able to get a mortgage on the proviso that we currently are in permanent  jobs in Dublin or would we have to show that we have permanent jobs lined up closer to home? She'd be ok picking up one but a permanent contract for me right away would be nigh on impossible but I would be able to get a fixed term/temporary one alright. 

You will have issues with the bank.  You will need to be able to show you can work in Donegal otherwise it’s an investment property.  
AKA pedantic kunt
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I think so. My own plan is to move permanently back home to Westport once I get the mortgage up in Dublin paid off. 
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 12:48am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

That's already happening, we are seeing it a good bit. Not massive but noticeable. Broadband is the biggest obstacle but we are seeing a lot of people move home from big urban centres

As for office space being changed into living accommodation - it is not that straight forward apparently. Complete different set of building regs so it's extremely costly. Not even sure how possible it is
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 1:20am
In Cork if a house is worth say €180,000, the council are coming in right away and putting down bids of €200,000 and more and more. So in normal working or deprived areas, the council are making the prices extortionate. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic