You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gooch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

I assumed it was for charity?

A portion of the proceeds will go to charity but not all of it.

The two charities are Kerry Cancer Support Group and Our Lady's Hospital for Sick Children in Dublin. 

Reports saying The Revenue Commissioners will not tax the estimated €250,000 to be raised by thetestimonial dinner.
Thumbs Up
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

I wonder how much Joe Brolly gets paid?
A good wedge I would imagine.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 5:12pm

I don't really get how thats' relevant.

He works as a Pundit for the state broadcaster ( as does Gooch btw) and will be paid a fee to perform a role. Like wise with his paper work ( Again, so does Gooch)

This is a bit off as he's saying, I was a great footballer and I want people to pay 500 quid a head to turn up just to line my pockets - with the footnote of charity to take the bad smell off it. 

It seems like using GAA status for nothing but personal gain and that's whats going to annoy people.

I can see a counter argument that current inter county players do this to a degree already with endorsements, cushy jobs etc but this seems pretty big leap from that.
@AntrimMan85
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 5:48pm
Where did his nicknames come from?

Does he sweat like a bollocks during a hot day?
Gigibongi33 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gigibongi33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Where did his nicknames come from?

Does he sweat like a bollocks during a hot day?

https://www.balls.ie/uncategorized/why-is-colm-cooper-called-the-gooch-362491
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

He works as a Pundit for the state broadcaster ( as does Gooch btw) and will be paid a fee to perform a role. Like wise with his paper work ( Again, so does Gooch)

This is a bit off as he's saying, I was a great footballer and I want people to pay 500 quid a head to turn up just to line my pockets - with the footnote of charity to take the bad smell off it. 

It seems like using GAA status for nothing but personal gain and that's whats going to annoy people.

I can see a counter argument that current inter county players do this to a degree already with endorsements, cushy jobs etc but this seems pretty big leap from that.

I'd agree entirely AM...this doesn't quite sit well with me but I suppose it's a sign of the times. I wonder will the amount donated to charity be released?
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 10:09pm
Kieran Donaghy has defended former teammate Colm Cooper's testimonial dinner, saying much of the criticism it has attracted is down to "Irish begrudgery."
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

It is a big leap AM, because with sponsorship & endorsements, there is something in it for the sponsor too. With this, other than the unspecified amount given to charity, it is purely for lining the pockets of the player. 

And for a fella who excelled in a team sport, it sends out a conflicting message to the unheralded lads in the team, the midfielder who just runs & tackles, but doesn't score, or the corner back who mainly stops the opposition in any way he can, but rarely pops up in Man of the Match discussions. It is bound to cause resentment among those lads somewhere down the line. Cooper played with 40 or 50 or 60 lads with Kerry who won the same or similar to what he did, they might have won those things without him, maybe not, but that is open to debate, what isn't a debate is that he wouldn't have won a single thing without them. 

Where he has been clever, from his own point of view, is inventing this new category, it will have a short enough lifetime, even the most enthusiastic financial sponsor or fan will get fed up of them quick enough, especially at those prices, if they proliferate to any degree. If it takes off, will every half decent minor want to play in the forwards from now on ?? How about the fella in Wicklow or Leitrim or Waterford who has had a career as long as Cooper without any of the medals, does he deserve anything ?

Thing is, you hear plenty stories about Ex players donating their free time to present awards, visit schools, train underage teams etc, this is very much against that ethos, I hope it is a miserable failure, but it won't be. And ya know something else, if, given the weeks that are in it, it was an Ex Dublin player doing this, it would be on the front, rather than the back pages, and they would be absolutely criticised from every angle for it. (and then defended by the one eyed lads, but that's another story). 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 1:08pm
No real opinion on this one way or the other, it's Colm's decision.

I suppose the fact there is a percentage of the money going to charity that in itself is positive. 

I do know that Colm regularly does presentations when time permits for juvenile teams (told this from a good friend of his in Dr Crokes) and often doesn't charge a cent. 

On one occasion lately my friend drove him over 2 hours away to an awards night and Colm declined any cash when the club wanted to pay him for attending. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

I suppose the fact there is a percentage of the money going to charity that in itself is positive. 

I do know that Colm regularly does presentations when time permits for juvenile teams (told this from a good friend of his in Dr Crokes) and often doesn't charge a cent. 

On one occasion lately my friend drove him over 2 hours away to an awards night and Colm declined any cash when the club wanted to pay him for attending. 

Interesting stuff about the Gooch with the younger teams.

Cool

Edited by Double Maxim - 02 Oct 2017 at 3:53pm
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 3:38pm
The Gooch was happy to entertain some fairly nonsensical ramblings from a heavily inebriated MC Hammered, who was sporting fresh vomit on the front of his shirt incidentally, in Killarney back towards the start of the year so he gets the seal of approval from me. 
El Puto Amo
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

The Gooch was happy to entertain some fairly nonsensical ramblings from a heavily inebriated MC Hammered, who was sporting fresh vomit on the front of his shirt incidentally, in Killarney back towards the start of the year so he gets the seal of approval from me. 

LOL
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 10:20am
Anyone off here see the Gooch on the Late Late Show?

Apparently he had some digs at Brolly.
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 11:09am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Onyd View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 1:43pm

For work. Not a corporate gig with a veneer of charity to deflect criticism.
Onyd View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

'often'? The inference means he sometimes charges his own club? What a cad

Edited by Onyd - 07 Oct 2017 at 1:46pm
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 2:12pm
Where did the nickname come from ?
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 7:27am

The Gooch has revealed both Kerry GAA and his club, Dr Crokes, will also now benefit from the testimonial financially.

Speaking on the Late Late Show, Cooper, said how Joe Brolly sent him a text apologising for the fuel the Derryman added to the fire by condemning the testimonial move, saying Gooch chose to “enrich himself” by being “self-serving”.

“Sure we all know that Joe Brolly is the greatest player ever, so how could we challenge him on that?” Cooper said, tongue-in-cheek.

“On a serious note, Joe actually sent me a text this week to say ‘Sorry about all the fuss. I wish there wasn’t a reaction that there was. It’s gone overboard. And I apologise’.

“So he’s obviously changed his tune and now fully respects that I am entitled to have a testimonial night if I want."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic