Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Football League 1 Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 21>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Not League 1 but needs mentioning as they probably will be in the next 1-2 years.

Portsmouth in talks of a takeover from billionaire Ex-Chief Executive of Walt Disney Michael Eisner. 
After all the bad luck they've had with poor owners they're probably overdue some luck.

Queue the Mickey Mouse jokes.
I really don't think becoming another dodgy millionaire's plaything is good for them and not everyone who is interested in taking over a L1/L2 team is going to want to achieve success 'organically' like Bradford. Broadly speaking, people taking over football clubs these days are in it for one of three things; to make money, launder their image or a love of the club/sport in general. Still broadly speaking, those in it for the first reason end up with a mess.
Sponsored Links

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Not League 1 but needs mentioning as they probably will be in the next 1-2 years.

Portsmouth in talks of a takeover from billionaire Ex-Chief Executive of Walt Disney Michael Eisner. 
After all the bad luck they've had with poor owners they're probably overdue some luck.

I really don't think becoming another dodgy millionaire's plaything is good for them and not everyone who is interested in taking over a L1/L2 team is going to want to achieve success 'organically' like Bradford. Broadly speaking, people taking over football clubs these days are in it for one of three things; to make money, launder their image or a love of the club/sport in general. Still broadly speaking, those in it for the first reason end up with a mess.

I think the dream for any new Owner would be their neighbours Southampton's when they went from League 1 to top tier with just the players they already had!

I'm delighted for Portsmouth regardless, the fans have seen some tough times at no fault of their own.

Edited by coyne - 23 Mar 2017 at 6:14pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 6:23pm

I think the dream for any new Owner would be their neighbours Southampton's when they went from League 1 to top tier with just the players they already had!

I'm delighted for Portsmouth regardless, the fans have seen some tough times at no fault of their own.
Which is why I would be more fearful than delighted, I reckon this fairy tale has more chance of ending Grimm than Disney.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 6:45pm
It's cue, not queue, in those circumstances.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

No need to be pedantic Dave, you know what he meant.....
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 6:49pm

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

No need to be pedantic Dave, you know what he meant.....

LOL 

Says you!
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 12:21am
Hope it goes tits up for them againLOL
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 5:03pm
Sheff Utd finally get promoted LOL 2 consecutive promotions for Wilder, his reputation will skyrocket from here.

Doncaster officially promoted to League 1.
Be a massive season for Ian Lawlor to see if he's the real deal

Edited by coyne - 08 Apr 2017 at 5:08pm
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 11:25pm
Really surprised at the amount of underdogs this season. Could have either Fleetwood or Rochdale playing Championship football next season.

Bolton could seal promotion this weekend if results go their way... Not bad for a club in £181 million in debt.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 11:37pm

Really surprised at the amount of underdogs this season. Could have either Fleetwood or Rochdale playing Championship football next season.

Bolton could seal promotion this weekend if results go their way... Not bad for a club in £181 million in debt.
Anyone but Fleetwood, I f**king hate these non-league hobby clubs with rich owners only looking for celebrity. I would like to see Bradford go up.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 11:48pm

Anyone but Fleetwood, I f**king hate these non-league hobby clubs with rich owners only looking for celebrity. I would like to see Bradford go up.

I dont like lower league teams with Rich owners which is why I'd hate to see Bristol Rovers sneak it but I think Fleetwood can be exempt as they technically haven't 'bought' anyone, just about a dozen free transfers!

Shame only 3 can go up because Bradford would have a bigger chance of staying up.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 12:09am

I dont like lower league teams with Rich owners which is why I'd hate to see Bristol Rovers sneak it but I think Fleetwood can be exempt as they technically haven't 'bought' anyone, just about a dozen free transfers!

Shame only 3 can go up because Bradford would have a bigger chance of staying up.
Their budget is still far bigger than what they can naturally afford, it may have been all free transfers but they would all have been enticed by decent salaries. The Nigerian centre-half was with Barcelona last! Other players they have signed from around L1/L2 will only have gone their for the cash. I doubt Uwe is there for the fishing either, have heard rumours that he is the highest paid manager in the division.
Before Pilley came in they were playing to a few hundred people in the Northern premier, their natural level, he just fancied his name in the papers. When he gets tired of it they will be like Darlington without the history.
They add nothing .

As much as I dislike 'rich owners', that is the formula in modern football, in England anyway. Bradford's owners are foreign and rich and have been absolutely brilliant. I don't think Bristol Rovers lot have been that bad, not that I would trust them an inch. 
They are averaging 10k and can well afford the squad and the stadium seems a bit petty for  a well connected Jordanian banker to be worried about, but I still wouldn't trust him mind you!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 1:00am
Got tickets for the away end for next week's game between Oldham and rochdale at boundary park. Should be good, local Derby and both teams have something at stake
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 6:29pm
Oldham are a really awkward team to play, they've only conceded 42 goals this season despite near the bottom - That's less than League winners Sheff Utd! But their problem is they've only scored 29. LOL

They make Middlesbrough a fascinating team to watch they're that dull!

Bolton play Oldham tomorrow and today's results have gone against them, be an interesting watch.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 10:49pm
Can't be arsed looking for a League 2 thread but it would seem that Aaron Pierre from Wycombe Wanderers is being investigated for headbutting a fan in Tesco , apparentlythe fan  told him he had played sh*t today!
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 2:19pm
Oldham 1-0 up. Would take a massive meltdown from Bolton to not up still, play Bury on Tuesday.

Saw Coventry got relegated against Charlton and both fans united and threw toy pigs everywhere LOL
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 12:49am

Oldham are a really awkward team to play, they've only conceded 42 goals this season despite near the bottom - That's less than League winners Sheff Utd! But their problem is they've only scored 29. LOL

Bolton play Oldham tomorrow and today's results have gone against them, be an interesting watch.
paul green is their playmaker so no surprise there. Takes their frees and everything
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 1:59am
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

paul green is their playmaker so no surprise there. Takes their frees and everything

Jaysus, you know you're onto a loser when that yoke's your best player.
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 21>
  Share Topic