You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The First Division Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 135136137138139 182>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by adineen98 adineen98 wrote:

Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Its a shame we don't have a proper pyramid system in Irish football that would allow relegation/promotion from/to the first division to the provincial senior leagues.

In theory that's a good idea, but the MSL, LSL, and USL are really just glorified Cork, Dublin, and Donegal leagues, respectively

True at the moment and a lot of the junior clubs at the moment would be better than senior clubs, but if there was a path to the LOI at stake, I'm sure a lot of clubs from outside Cork, Dublin and Donegal would upgrade to senior status.
Sponsored Links

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 9:12pm
It's a decent format, even a club on a tiny budget will feel 4th isn't beyond them, at least at the start of the season anyway, but it should keep the interest going until close enough to the end of it.

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
adineen98 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adineen98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

The USL is a mess too only 7 teams in it and 2 of them are Derry and harps reserves. And it wouldn't be the a surprise if it finishes with less than 7 teams as it's happened in the past of teams pulling out of the league

I'd say give it a few years and the USL will be consigned to history like the CSL

Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

True at the moment and a lot of the junior clubs at the moment would be better than senior clubs, but if there was a path to the LOI at stake, I'm sure a lot of clubs from outside Cork, Dublin and Donegal would upgrade to senior status.

I think a return of something similar to the A Championship would be a good idea, it could potentially lead to the return of the likes of Monaghan Utd/Monaghan-Cavan FP, Kilkenny City, Carlow, and make it easier for the mooted Kerry and Mayo sides to make the transition to senior football, and then continue a pyramid underneath that.

Of course, I'm not the first person to suggest this or something similar, I won't be the last, and I think it's safe to say we won't be seeing a pyramid structure in this country anytime soon Unhappy

Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam
smart man View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Not so.......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smart man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 11:37am
At least most first division teams will have something to play for. With 2nd 3th and 4d going into play off. While it's not perfect it's a hell of a lot better than last season.
alive and kicking
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 4:56pm
First Division Fixtures 2018
http://cms.sseairtricityleague.ie/sites/default/files/inline-files/2018%20Season%20SSE%20Airtricity%20League%20Fixture%20List.pdf#page=10
(Page 10, I can't get the pdf file to link to the specific page)

[B}Series 1
Friday 23rd February 2018
Cabinteely v Wexford Stardbrook, Blackrock RFC, 19:45
Drogheda Utd v Finn Harps United Park 19:45
Galway Utd v Athlone Town Eamonn Deacy Park 19:45
UCD AFC v Shelbourne The UCD Bowl 19:45

Saturday 24th February
Longford Town v Cobh Ramblers City Calling Stadium 19:30

Edited by UCDFAN - 19 Dec 2017 at 5:01pm
www.ucdsupporters.ie
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 5:26pm
Might try to get home for the first game...Have to see with work
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 7:29am
First division , hummmmmm I feel like jumping off a cliff .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 12:26pm
Things not going well for Ramblers this pre season. Big struggle to get players in and sponsors not coming in either. As of today only 12 players signed and all of those were signed last season and majority are nothing special.
Wouldn't be surprised if Henderson was lured away by Limerick job.

YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 12:38pm
Goodness so much not looking forward to reading this thread for the next 9 months Cry
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Goodness so much not looking forward to reading this thread for the next 9 months Cry

Try reading it for 9 years...............

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
RKBarmyArmy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKBarmyArmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 9:46am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Things not going well for Ramblers this pre season. Big struggle to get players in and sponsors not coming in either. As of today only 12 players signed and all of those were signed last season and majority are nothing special.
Wouldn't be surprised if Henderson was lured away by Limerick job.

Thats such a shame but I can't say Im surprised unfortunately. I head down to St. Colemans 4 or 5 times a year to catch a game and usually theres about 200 people there, 50 of which are Cork City fans, 50 are the players family and friends, and the rest could be a few Ramblers fans and away fans. There is almost zero support for Ramblers in the town, it looks like they just have no appetite for LOI football. 
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 6:27pm
Galway after getting a very good player from what I've seen of Carlton Ubaezuonu. Potential 1st division player of the year in the coming season.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by RKBarmyArmy RKBarmyArmy wrote:

There is almost zero support for Ramblers in the town, it looks like they just have no appetite for LOI football. 

Not necessarily true. The appetite is there however there are very bigger deterrents for the locals. The manager and some of the people he's got involved with the running of the club for starters.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 11:02pm
Gavin Brennan leaves drogheda while lee Duffy joins....

Edited by JUICEBOMB - 31 Jan 2018 at 11:03pm
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 3:01pm
Harps sign Michael O'Connor on loan from shamrock rovers. Ollie putting together a decent squad to play attacking football but could do with 1 or 2 more defensive players before the league starts
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 3:21pm
Thought he was going to Burnley?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

for €400k too!
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

for €400k too!

He found it too hard to turn down the luxury surroundings of finn park it seems
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 135136137138139 182>
  Share Topic